Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need to buy my first real amp

Re: Need to buy my first real amp

here is a fender twin 1970's pre ultralinear forsale seems like agood deal, I have freinds that go to wa. every week could bring it to you.I'm not one the selling this.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/1081256432.html

Thanks again for all the great advice guys and for the offer to have some friends run an amp up to me majwild1. :)

I ended up picking up a brand new Super Champ XD this weekend and after spending the last two days playing with it, I couldn't be happier. It's awesome. Great tone, impressive volume given the size, love the effects. Really sweet. Given that this is the first electric amp in my arsenol and amps seem to be like cats and tattoos where you can't just have one, I'm sure I'll end up with a few of the other amps that were recommended here. DRRI is probably next on the list. Til then, it's me and the Champ!

Jammin out,

Aaron

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Congrats an' enjoy, Aaron!

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Rock on!

Congratulations Aaron, I love mine more each day. A couple of notes:
    The speaker does get worn in and sounds even better after a while.
    The stock speaker cannot quite handle some of the stronger tones and higher bass levels at times. You can either learn to live with that or upgrade the speaker. I have a Weber California ceramic and it handles everything on 10 very cleanly (at that volume, it is a stage amp, not a bedroom amp). Most people recommend a Weber alnico or something like a Rajin Cajun. I think that those will give you more of a smoother Stevie Ray sound. Personally, I am hooked on the ceramic for its clean tone and smack you in the face aggression at high volume. It is now almost twice as loud. The ceramic sounds a little too ice pickish on a couple of the voicings, but only on a couple of the strings in a narrow fret range (8th to 10th usually). I have learned to not attack the strings in those circumstances, or switch to a different voice.

I really like your songs on youtube. I think that the strat and the SCXD will fit perfectly.

John, if you disconnect the internal 10-inch speaker an' plug the output to a beefy 8Ω cab (say, 4x10s or 4x12s) you'll git some serious tonk outta that SCXD. The factory driver sometimes has a tendency to fizz out under certain conditions, especially in the low-end frequencies.

HTH

Phantomman, are you trying to pull me back to the days when we used Marshall stacks, Sunn bass amps, dual Twin Reverbs with Altecs or JBL's, and Kustom PA's as big and comfortable as my current queen-sized bed, with everything cranked up to 1 dB below painful distortion? I actually moved B3's and Fender Rhodes up and down stairs in those days, just to play the blues all night for $10, although the woman who followed me around was worth every pulled muscle...

I'm trying to go in the opposite direction: something that sounds as huge as Hendrix or Winter, but fits in the front seat of my Pontiac Solstice next to my Strat. The SCXD with the Weber fits that bill.

John

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Used Princeton - the real deal. Put an efficient 12" speaker in it. Grab & go tone. They are out there to be had in this economy. I just bought a BFPR with speaker upgrade and flight case for less than 7 bills. You should be able to find a non verb SF for 4 bills or less. I am now in the process of butchering the 67 BFPR by putting in Deluxe transformers and a 1x12 ply baffle. Heresy? Naw, it's all about the tone.

Quote Originally Posted by John Richards View Post
    I actually moved B3's......up and down stairs in those days, just to play the blues all night for $10......
    GAWD......I hope you had the dolly set!

OUCH!

No dolly set!!! And that was one of the reasons we kicked the keyboard player out of the band. That and his solos sucked. Of course my Sunn bass amp with two 15's was no lightweight. Just the Jazz Bass by itself was a pain to carry more than a block.

I'm going for light and mean these days. Just turned 55 and got my AARP application in the mail. I wonder if they give discounts for Fender?

Quote Originally Posted by John Richards View Post
    I'm going for light and mean these days. Just turned 55 and got my AARP application in the mail. I wonder if they give discounts for Fender?
    LMFAO!!!

My brother usta have a 2000S. He got "religion" though an' moved on to lighter solid state amps......(he plays a pair of Acoustic 370s now).

no love for 8x10 cabinets? or SVT's?
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

John - Thanks for the comments and compliment on the YouTube vids. I'm having a blast with it and am looking forward to taking the champ on stage. :)

Quote Originally Posted by rudutch View Post
    no love for 8x10 cabinets? or SVT's?
    He has a pair of SWR Goliaths mated to an original Sunn Model T.

He calls it his "training rig".

I am pushing 60 and I buy amps for there ease in carrying so I use, that's right, a DRRI. I sure see a lot of them around lately. It's because all my friends are old too, so they need that light amp.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Quote Originally Posted by thegeezer View Post
    I am pushing 60 and I buy amps for there ease in carrying so I use, that's right, a DRRI. I sure see a lot of them around lately. It's because all my friends are old too, so they need that light amp.
    I'm in the process of hot-rodding a '67 PR (DR transformers and 12" spkr) for just this reason... ;-)

Forum Member

I've got to recommend a Deluxe Reverb (of almost any variety). It's an almost perfect amp; Sounds great at low volume at home & at "band" volume on stage! It will be an amp you'll probably keep many, many years rather than something you will want to upgrade from in a year or so.
    Even if you don't want to keep it it will have the best resale value of practically any amp.
    Gitcha One!
    PG