Thread: Boutique amp closest to HR or Blues Deluxe

Forum Member

Boutique amp closest to HR or Blues Deluxe

I love the sound of the Hot Rod Deluxe, it's exactly what I'm looking for. But I don't want to buy an amp thats going to give me problems down the road. I prefer it's sound to any of the blackface and tweed reissues. Do Victoria, Clark or any other boutique builders offer an amp that would come closer to the sound of the HR Deluxe? Or would modding it be my best bet? Thanks.

Re: Boutique amp closest to HR or Blues Deluxe

The SuperChamp XD has a modeled Hot Rod channel...maybe the new VM amps do, too, but I'm not sure.

The Hot Rod sounds like it does because of all the muckey-muck in there for the drive, more drive, channel switching, etc., and really don't resemble any classic or hand-wired amp. That Victoria and Clark do replicas of. So, you either stick with the Hot Rod and take your chances, or find a new amp. I know that these amps can sound good and the cleans are great, but as you are aware, there is the potential for PCB failure.

There's one simple mod you can do to help prevent a lot of the issues these are prone to, and that's to replace the 5W power resistors for the foot- and channel-switching deal with new ones that are raised off the board about 1/4". Here's how I do it when I work on these amps:

This will void your warranty, and if you're not experienced with working on fragile PCBs you can do more damage than you fix. But this will go a long way to prolonging the inevitable PCB fry.

Another easy bit of preventative maintenance is to de-solder and re-solder all the tube socket pins, as they commonly have issues.

If you REALLY want a boutique amp, and have a Hot Rod handy, they make great Tweed Pros/Supers, if you're really industrious. Search around this site, and you'll find several of us who re-built ours.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

If you like the sound of a hot rod that is working well -

I have been told that a Rivera Chubster is the way to go.

Hnads down a better amp that takes that idea/charecter of sound to a MUCH better place.

Keep in mind, its a lot of amp!
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Forum Member

When you say they make great Tweed Pro or Supers do you mean the Hot Rod can be modded or transformed into one of these?

Quote Originally Posted by edcat View Post
    When you say they make great Tweed Pro or Supers do you mean the Hot Rod can be modded or transformed into one of these?
    Heh...yeah...hence the smiley ->

Since I didn't want to de-rail your thread, I suggested you search around TFF for some Hot Rod re-builds. But since you asked specifically, here's mine as it exists today (well, I changed some capacitor values since this pic was taken):

Yankeerob and Toneseeker also have some Bassman-in-Hot Rod rebuilds, and a couple of other guys here did the 5F4/5E5A (Super/Pro) circuit in theirs. As I said, "if you're industrious enough" you could do it. It goes well past a 'mod', and definitely voids your warranty, but it's a great solution for the dead or dying Hot Rods, as this approach re-uses all the transformers, switches, and other various hardware along with the cab/speaker.

I don't suggest doing this to a working and healthy Hot Rod, though.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Wow NTB that looks great. Something to think about. Atleast I know what can be done once my HR bites the dust! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by edcat View Post
    At least I know what can be done once my HR bites the dust!
    That's exactly why that project developed!

How old is the amp in question of yours? Do you think you can do the resistors/tube sockets work? Or maybe you know someone who can?

Those two fixes will help.

-Edmund Burke

If you like the sound of a Hot Rod, a Cyber-Twin has that model.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Wow - three very different answers.......

Who'd o' Thunk it?
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    If you like the sound of a Hot Rod, a Cyber-Twin has that model.
    Does anybody even use them thangs?

Too many controls for my taste.

I jus' want knobs that read "SQUEAL", "SPANK", "CHIME", "GRUNT", "PUNCH", AN' "REVERB".

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Actually I haven't bought one yet. I have a Pro Jr. that I love because of the sound and light weight but need something with a little more uumph. What would be ideal for me (and I wouldn't have to buy a Hot Rod) is to some how up the wattage of the Pro Jr. Is that possible?