Thread: Reverb

Forum Member

Reverb

Hey all,

I wasn't sure whether I should post this in this thread or in the FX thread. I am having some difficulty with using reverb and my tone. I have a SF Twin Reverb. It has one of the sweetest clean tones I have ever experienced. I play it a fair amount alone in a small carpeted room (I understand the twin overkill in this situation, but I don't have the money now to get something smaller. Probably a champ). In this situation, my tone is a little weak and trebley so I add some reverb and it sounds great. But, when I am playing with others or in a different venue, my tone is horrible. It gets muddy. I sound nothing like I do when I’m alone. So what is the trick with reverb? I realize how the acoustics in the room will create different reverberation rates. Is there a good rule of thumb to use? Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

James

Re: Reverb

My rule is don't put it any higher than 4... It shouldn't affect your tone as such though. Maybe try using less bass (in general and especially when playing out). There's a lot of low end on tap in a Twin.
    What guitar/effects are you using and how are you setting the amp up just now? Do you leave the guitar's controls all the way up all the time?

Forum Member

I usually have my amp elevated on a chair. I have an American strat deluxe (V-neck, S1 switching) and my chain is Guitar > RMC3 Wah > Keely modded Rat 2 > DD7 > Memory Man > SF Twin. I back my volume nob on my strat to about 8 1/2. The other nobs I have at 10.

James

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Fender's SCN pickups are at their sonic optimum with the guitar volume dimed an' they do seem to thin out when backed down. For more "beef" run your guitar's volume at 10 an' back the tone knobs down a skosh. As for the problem wif the 'verb, that may be a room acoustics issue. IMO, "less is more"......I never use the reverb on my SF Twin (or any Fender amp FTM) above 1½ or 2. Unless you play "surf".

I dunno if'n any of this hepps but I hope so.

Best of luck

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Gee phantoman, we're going to disagree. For me, running the guitar at 10 and throttling the amp will result in a wussy tone. I generally run the amp till it's at it's sweet spot and then adjust volume with the guitar. That will almost always give me a thicker sound.

As far as reverb - When your sound gets muddy, dial in more treble or tame the bottom as required. Your amp should be able to cut even to the point that the reverb starts to drip.

I should also note - dailing in a good stage volume is an art that takes some time to learn. What sounds good at home isn't the same as what works in a live playing situation where you are at a different sound level and competing for frequencies. Generally, you want it a bit on the bright side onstage, since the bass freqencies will carry better than the treble. The secret is to learn to get a good cutting tone and not rely on pure volume to be heard.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Gee phantoman, we're going to disagree. For me, running the guitar at 10 and throttling the amp will result in a wussy tone. I generally run the amp till it's at it's sweet spot and then adjust volume with the guitar. That will almost always give me a thicker sound.

As far as reverb - When your sound gets muddy, dial in more treble or tame the bottom as required. Your amp should be able to cut even to the point that the reverb starts to drip.

I should also note - dailing in a good stage volume is an art that takes some time to learn. What sounds good at home isn't the same as what works in a live playing situation where you are at a different sound level and competing for frequencies. Generally, you want it a bit on the bright side onstage, since the bass freqencies will carry better than the treble. The secret is to learn to get a good cutting tone and not rely on pure volume to be heard.
    Who said anythang about "throttling an amp"?

An' how many SCN/S1-equipped guitars do you have? I've built two, both of which see regular stage use.

So we disagree......BFD.

I've been called genius an' a jerk-off by the same person......in the same sentence.

My sensibilities nevertheless remain intact.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."