Thread: Seeking 10 inch speaker opinions

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Seeking 10 inch speaker opinions

Fell out of love with my Tone Tubby 10 inch ceramic. Looking for a 10 inch speaker to compliment the Ragin Cajun I'm digging in my 2x10 semi-open back (w/ BF Bandmaster head). Prerequisites are it has to be loud, have reasonably tight bass and translate pedal distortion faithfully w/o coloring it too much, as well as have a nice clean sound. I've sold off/ruled out the Emi Copperhead (great speaker tho if you don't use heavy distortion). Jensen Neo 10 does the job but has zero personality. Anyone have any experience with the Emi Legend 105? Weber ceramic Cali 10 is another option. Let's hear opinions on 10s por favor. Muchas gracias.

Re: Seeking 10 inch speaker opinions

the calis i had (12" ceramics) were loud as hell, if that floats your boat. character wise they seemed a little sterile.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    Fell out of love with my Tone Tubby 10 inch ceramic. Looking for a 10 inch speaker to compliment the Ragin Cajun I'm digging in my 2x10 semi-open back (w/ BF Bandmaster head). Prerequisites are it has to be loud, have reasonably tight bass and translate pedal distortion faithfully w/o coloring it too much, as well as have a nice clean sound. I've sold off/ruled out the Emi Copperhead (great speaker tho if you don't use heavy distortion). Jensen Neo 10 does the job but has zero personality. Anyone have any experience with the Emi Legend 105? Weber ceramic Cali 10 is another option. Let's hear opinions on 10s por favor. Muchas gracias.
    If you fell out of love with it, divorce it and let it come live with me...I'd even let you pay alimony!
    Yummo!

My Gear:
    Gibson SG
    James Burton Tele (standard---not the flaming one)
    Guild Bluegrass Jubilee w/DTar
    Kap'n 5E3
    Marsh 5F11

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    the calis i had (12" ceramics) were loud as hell, if that floats your boat. character wise they seemed a little sterile.
    I actually like Cali 10s better than Cali 12s. They seem less loud, but they're still kinda sterile like you said. That would be the default choice. They do work well in tandem with other more flavorful speakers - they add punch and tight bass w/o color.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Hey Gris, check out CJ's listing for a MIJ Tele Custom on the members' classified pages......he also has a NIB Weber Blue Pup up for grabs. I thought it was a 12 (Chris set me straight) but it's actually a neat leetle Alnico 10. Could be jus' what the doctor ordered......

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Hey Gris, check out CJ's listing for a MIJ Tele Custom on the members' classified pages......he also has a NIB Weber Blue Pup up for grabs. I thought it was a 12 (Chris set me straight) but it's actually a neat leetle Alnico 10. Could be jus' what the doctor ordered......

Thanks for the heads up, but that's actually the opposite of the type speaker I'm looking for. (The alnico blue pup is a very colorful speaker with loose bass.)

I love my Blue Pup...I've got one in my AC15 - one of the 2 10's. Sounds much better than the cheap Celestion that the amp came with.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

I know what the blue pup sounds like. I've owned them, as well as the Weber 10A150P (an even better Brit spkr). I'm not going for that chimey or dirty of a sound. Gonna use it with a 40 watt BM head. I am playing loud and clean and using pedals for distorted sounds. I am thinking 50 watt Weber 10F150T, but I was wondering if the Emi 105 would be an acceptable substitute. They are ridiculously cheap.

I had an EV Force 10 once that I tried in my Princeton Reverb. It was loud as hell and clean as hell!

It seemed to be tonally colorless. The PR didn't even sound like a Fender amp with that speaker in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I had an EV Force 10 once that I tried in my Princeton Reverb. It was loud as hell and clean as hell!

It seemed to be tonally colorless. The PR didn't even sound like a Fender amp with that speaker in it!
    Funny you should mention the Force 10, it was something I was considering. But, I kind of afraid that maybe it has an extended top end? (plus there's the weight issue) I was really wondering whether these Emi Legend 105s had any headroom and translated distortion smoothly... I suppose I should just snag a 10F150T-50W and be done with it...

I didn't notice an extended top end. It just sounded flat to me. I knew that I hated it within moments of hearing it.
    The guy who recommended it to me liked speakers that didn't color an amp's tone much at all.

Forum Member

I was considering Weber's Silver 10 then I came across Celestions
    new 10" Greenbacks (UK made). Much better then 12" (China) Greenbacks. The reason I didn't go with the Webers was shipping the units up here to Canada. A $95.00 speaker turns into a $130.00 speaker, mind you I have a pair of his 1225's with the pre-rola treatmant by far the best vintage (Greenback) tone.....Good luck
    '06 Gibson LP Faded Tobacco
    '07 Gibson ES335 Faded Cherry
    '09 Gibson LP Jr TV Yellow
    '93 & '07 Fender Strats, '78 Fender Jazz Bass
    Dr.Z Route 66
    Dr.Z Mini Z (head)
    Dr.Z Carmen Ghia (head)
    Fender Blues Deluxe
    Marshall '62 Bluesbreaker R/I (Weber Blue & Silver)
    Bluesbreaker 2X12 Ext (Celestion Blue & Weber Blue)
    Marshall Mini Cabs (10" Greenbacks)
    Level (walnut) 2X12 (Weber 1225's rola)
    Keeley BD-2 Phat Mod, Compressor, TS-9 Baked, Java Boost
    Retroman Beano Boost
    Dr.Z Airbrake

I've checked out the Greenback 10s. They look nice. Problem (for me) is they're super inefficient. The Legend 105 looks similar but more efficient, kinda why I was headed there...

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post

Yeah, I like some character too. I wouldn't put a speaker like that in a 1x combo. But... those kind of speakers (think Jensen Neo) work great in a 2x combo or cab.

Man...Gris is a speaker guru.

Reading his speaker commentary is a lesson. Interested to see where this goes from here.

Gris, have you given any thought about the new Red Fang 10"?
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    Man...Gris is a speaker guru.

Reading his speaker commentary is a lesson. Interested to see where this goes from here.

Gris, have you given any thought about the new Red Fang 10"?
    Yeah, I have, but I'm scared of it due to my experience with the 12 inch version. The 12 inch 'Fang' is an interesting speaker. Really in your face kinda sound. I think it would too strident for a BF/SF amp, though they do sound good in warmer tweed type amps.

I'm liking the sound of my Cajun but want another speaker to fill in some tight bass and other parts of the spectrum as well. Thought hard about a Jensen Neo, but they just don't have much character. I'll probably end up with a 10F150T (50 watt) w/ a special treatment/dope.

The Cali came and went. It was good but not great. Didn't have enough mids.

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    I've checked out the Greenback 10s. They look nice. Problem (for me) is they're super inefficient.
    Vintage 10's are pretty cool sounding, at least the MIUK ones, and not particularly inefficient. No idea how the Chinese ones are.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

You should check out the Scumbacks at South Bay Ampworks. I have a ceramic and a alnico in my 2x12 65 Amps London 18. They sound great.