Thread: 5E3 Amp Build

5E3 Amp Build

I have a amp purchase on backorder for a week and now I'm thinking of canceling the order maybe and Order a 5E3 build from http://www.missionamps.com/5E3kit.shtml

Seems like a good price and easy to do Maybe ? I'm good with an Iron and I have been known to Mod many amps in my day but never built one. I was very impressed with new Fender Version but at $1899 http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...Amp?sku=485052 I had to pass, this amp looks like it will be $775 shipped.

Any thoughts ?

Do you think this "Mission Amp" will compare to the Fender ?
    Last edited by Totally bored; 01-09-2009 at 12:27 PM.

Re: 5E3 Amp Build

Mission has a great reputation. It will compare well to the Fender.

A 5E3 is a good choice for a first build. It isn't to difficult and it's a very usable amp when you are done. From what you've said about your experience I would think that you could build it.

Great thing about a kit is you can mod it without fear of warranty issues - t'll probably kick the crap out of the Fender in any case - I've little faith in the FMIC these days - good luck decidin'
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

I recently built one from a Weber kit and put one of his 12A125 speakers in it. Sounds great and it will get even better as the speaker breaks in. Now I just need to find a NOS 5Y3 and 12AY7 for it.