Thread: Hot Rod Deluxe - tube questions

Forum Member

Hot Rod Deluxe - tube questions

I'm going to change the valves in my HRD, can anybody recommend my best choices. I have seen these TAD 6L6GC- STR's, i believe they are excellent and look good value for money. http://www.thomann.de/gb/tad_rt212_r...l6gc_duett.htm

What should i be using for my 12AX7''s?

I play a Tele '72 custom, and my desired tone is that classic, warm bluesy naturally overdriven in the right places kinda thing! John Mayer sort of thing.

I'm using ONLY the clean channel (i've never liked the drive channels, always sounded to 'fizzy' to me), a Boss SD1, Tube screamer, Boss compressor for those cut through boosts!

All thoughts are welcomed.

Many thanks

Re: Hot Rod Deluxe - tube questions

I'd check out Justin Holton's page for some recommendations. Though I wouldn't recommend a lot of his mods, just because they're so fragile inside.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Hi gp79,

The TAD 6L6GC- STR's sounds better than the Sovtek 5885. Nice Highs and low End. Give them a little more bias somewhat in the 80-90 mV it sounds chunkier.

I'm using JJ for 12AX7 they call them ECC83S for V2 and a Balanced one for V3.
    In Position V1 I am using a JJ ECC81 that makes the Sound more transparend and 3D.
    equipment: american dlx strat & noiseless protone light Squier Tele & Hoyer Les Paul & Takamine accustic, two modded HRDLX giging-one all with JJ's:ECC81=>ECC83S=>ECC81=>6V6 into Jensen C12N and R102 & R45 & C11-mod and a Korg AX3000G only for effects between pre-out and power-in the other with TAD-6L6GC and IsoPhon 3037 alnico speaker and sag-mod and R102 & R45 & C11 & R69-mod for home and studio use

I believe www.eurotubes.com sells a retube kit that I've heard good things about. He carries new production JJ tubes.

I have a HRD, that i put Jan Phillips 5751's in place of the V1 and V2 12AX7's, and Electroharmonix in V3 and Svetlana power tubes. It really made it sound better....I think mainly from the 5751 pre-amp tubes.

Hi gp79,

I am using those 6l6 tubes in my amp. I think they are really very good although the only comparison I had was the stock Groove Tubes. Anything sounds good compared to them. The amp is no longer a Hotrod Deluxe as I have rebuilt it but I'm still using those tubes. I'm told however that the best sounding new production 6l6's are SED Winged 'C'. Best new production 12ax7 are JJ's apparently. I have a JJ in v2 position but NOS tubes in v1 and v3. You could do worse than those TAD's though.

Pete
    Last edited by Toneseeker; 11-20-2008 at 09:52 AM.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.

Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by gp79 View Post
    What should i be using for my 12AX7''s?

I play a Tele '72 custom, and my desired tone is that classic, warm bluesy naturally overdriven in the right places kinda thing! John Mayer sort of thing.
    For 12AX7s, I can recommend the Tung-Sol RI or JJ for new manufacture. A good source of mine also recommends the Mullard RIs, too.

A good trick to get closer to what you're after is to use some lower gain tubes in V1 and/or V2. 12AT7, 12AY7, etc. (I personally liked a 12AZ7 in there) They warm up this amp's sound and keep the gain in check allowing you to turn up a little more to get there without going too brittle.

Warm, bluesy, naturally overdriven sounds come from a good Tweed-era circuit. However, the Hot Rods are far from those; they're bright, tight, and clean in comparison, and it's the way the circuit is designed. So, you may get to a point where you'll get close, but not all the way to what you want.

I mention that to help you avoid taking the iron to the PCB. As Kap'n says, they're very fragile, and can't really handle much mod work.

With that said, as Pete mentioned, there are a few guys here (myself included), who have gone in and REALLY turned these amps around. It involves a little more than just working on the PCB.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by telecustom View Post
    I have a HRD, that i put Jan Phillips 5751's in place of the V1 and V2 12AX7's, and Electroharmonix in V3 and Svetlana power tubes. It really made it sound better....I think mainly from the 5751 pre-amp tubes.
    1+

Mainly is to put in a lower gain Tube in V1.
    5751:µ=70,
    ECC81(12AT7):µ=60,
    12AX7 (ECC83S):µ >=100

If you use the Drive-section dont use a ECC81 in V2 - it sounds horrible when driven, almost like a transistor.
    equipment: american dlx strat & noiseless protone light Squier Tele & Hoyer Les Paul & Takamine accustic, two modded HRDLX giging-one all with JJ's:ECC81=>ECC83S=>ECC81=>6V6 into Jensen C12N and R102 & R45 & C11-mod and a Korg AX3000G only for effects between pre-out and power-in the other with TAD-6L6GC and IsoPhon 3037 alnico speaker and sag-mod and R102 & R45 & C11 & R69-mod for home and studio use

Quote Originally Posted by ²Thom View Post
    If you use the Drive-section dont use a ECC81 in V2 - it sounds horrible when driven, almost like a transistor.
    That's because there is a P-Channel and N-Channel JFET handling the two halves of V2 in the Drive/More Drive mix.

That, and the fact that the reverb's solid state, is why the Hot Rods aren't really 'all-tube' tube amps.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

If you are looking for that chimey blues tone, I have had good success with these:

The 5751

Really nice tone from these. I put it in my my HRDlx and my LE Blues Junior. I am running my Fat 50s FCS pups through it and get really thick chunky stuff from the neck pup with these. Much more so than the stock GT pres.

As far as a 6L6, I (knock on wood) haven't had to replace these just yet. I only had to replace the pres cause I had to go microphonic on me.......
    "What would rock and roll be without feedback?" - David Gilmour

"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." - Richard Ashcroft

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    That's because there is a P-Channel and N-Channel JFET handling the two halves of V2 in the Drive/More Drive mix.
    The FET's are not that bad for the Sound I tried short them, same Sound but the ECC81 is a HF-Tube with a low Ri sounding like a cheap Fuzz when driven hard.

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    That, and the fact that the reverb's solid state, is why the Hot Rods aren't really 'all-tube' tube amps.
    Yes a tube driven Reverb couldt be much better but the HRDlx is to spikey cause of the C52 an R103 in parallel to the Reverb-pot.

Did Fender make it extra bad? And uses horrible Tubes and Spakers ?

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut1 View Post
    I believe www.eurotubes.com sells a retube kit that I've heard good things about. He carries new production JJ tubes.
    I use Bob's JJ's Blues Option#1. Although that's all he sells is JJ's.
    I like them. Nice warm fat sound with a little earlier breakup. Sounds great with my Strat and really sings with my Ibanez Artcore.

The way you approach a tube change in a HRD is different from other amps. You remove the tubes, discard the amp, and then put the tubes into a different amp.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    The way you approach a tube change in a HRD is different from other amps. You remove the tubes, discard the amp, and then put the tubes into a different amp.
    +1

How many techs does it take to change the tubes in a HRDlx? Two, one to pull the tubes, the other to work the chainsaw.

And another two to give spurious "bias" readings in mVs!

Nah, you guy's have it all wrong. You pull the tubes then ship it to NTBluesguitar for a conversion.

Sorry, GP79, we es tend to have a lot of fun at the Hot Rod's expense. Mainly because they give the owners so many problems; just do a forum search for "Hot Rod Deluxe Problem" and see what turns up to understand why.

Heh...StratCat, you know that a conversion was my go-to solution.

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut1 View Post
    How many techs does it take to change the tubes in a HRDlx? Two, one to pull the tubes, the other to work the chainsaw.
    You forgot the one to fix the lifted traces when you pull the tubes.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks