Thread: Holy Cow! a MAGIC speaker... :-)

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Holy Cow! a MAGIC speaker... :-)

I finally got around to testing various 'vintage' speakers I've picked up on he cheap over the past several months. First, tried a few early-mid sixties Jensen C10P. Some very good, some rotten and in need of a re-do. A few JBL 12s and so on.

Well, as I'm finishing, I see this box under a pile of clothes in the far corner of my closet. It's all taped up, no writing on it. I pick it up. Feels like a speaker sliding around in there. I open it and it's a 1960 Jensen P12N from an organ pull.

I see it has the original dust laden cone, but otherwise it's minty. I put it in my 1x12 cab and hook my 10 watt '61 Gibby up to it. Whoa, sounds fantastic! Seems a bit bright for the Gibby though. So, I hook it up to my 'new' 1957 Silvertone 12 watter, a very warm, yes dark, circuit.

OMFG!!! Unbelievable. I put a delay pedal on it and it sounds like the best studio recording sound ever.

Afraid to crank it as it's almost 50 years old. Guess I'll just dedicate it to the 10 and 12 watters.

Man, with all due respect to all the great speakers makes out there today, NOTHING I've gotten from them sounds like this thing!

Forum Member

Re: Holy Cow! a MAGIC speaker... :-)

Sound clips please!!!

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

I don't have anything here that would record well enough to do it justice... :-( But, I tell you what, the combination of the old Silvertone 1392 through this speaker is in the holy grail rock-n-roll hall of fame. I gonna have to have my cabinet maker do a good box for the Silvertone so I can put this old Jensen speaker in there.

Man, isn't it great when once in every blue moon you stumble onto something like this. I was like a kid this morning, playing all these silly old rock chord songs and singing along at the top of my lungs - 'Get Back,' 'the Seeker, etc. - was just just GETTING OFF on this tone, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    Man, isn't it great when once in every blue moon you stumble onto something like this. I was like a kid this morning, playing all these silly old rock chord songs and singing along at the top of my lungs - 'Get Back,' 'the Seeker, etc. - was just just GETTING OFF on this tone, LOL.
    I dont think anyone would play the electric guitar if it made you feel like a grown up.
    Mitch Mitchell talking about Jimi and strats in general.
    If the walrus is Paul then who is Carmen Sandiego?