Thread: marshall valvestate 8080..to tube amp

marshall valvestate 8080..to tube amp

i want to use the chassis and cabinet of my old valvestate to build a low watt home screamer with a twelve in speaker......anyone know what i will be able to use from this as far as the transformers and stuff?

any suggestions for kits?
    a nowhere man on quick southern feet

Re: marshall valvestate 8080..to tube amp

I think you'll find the iron won't be much use - there's no OT with a MOSFET output stage and the power supply is only designed to power one 12AX7 - that said the cab and chassis should support a coupla lower power transformers so it's more of a case of whadya fancy building? I think the 5E3's good in that it's not too complicated build wise and packs quite a punch - drives a 12" very nicely...
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

yeah i figured, is the power transformer worth using though? i don't know what the output on it is at all....haven't poked around in it, and i can't find any definite markings on it other than a sticker....it's a drake 784 352...or at least that's what's on the sticker.....can't find any info on the web about this specific one.

Going on what you can see in the schematic and knowing how Marshall build amps in the modern era - my guess is there won't be enough B+ or heater current to play with as the transformer that supplies the B+ and heaters will be designed to run the single 12AX7 in it and little more - their parts are very inexpensive because they're not particularly well made - they tend to screw their suppliers down to the ground on price so the result is we see about two or three of 'em a week in for repair - we've gotten into the habit of just ordering new boards for 'em (if we can still get them) as they're not much better than HR and Blues series amps as far as PCB quality goes...

if it's still a going concern I'd get as much for it as is... if not I'm sure there's a few guys around here who can point you in the direction of some decent cheap iron... good luck with it!
    If I could find a road to get away it wouldn't be too soon....... Shipwreck Moon.......

Forum Member

Forget it man. That dog won't hunt.

Start from scratch.

well i'm gonna use what i can...the cabinet is fine, and the chassis is fine too.....just have to get creative with a faceplate. there's plenty of room for whatever i want to put in there.

that being said

where should i go for transformers, (going 5E3)

i looked on ceriatone, weber, watts thus far

so who has had good luck with what

i already know what type caps and resistors i'm gonna be using

also, what are the best sockets to use

holler

Yah pays yer money and takes yer choice - Weber's stuff is utilitarian and seems to works just fine - if you want to get fancy go for Mercury Magnetics - I can say that every amp we've seen with 'em in has been killer - Belton tube sockets seems to be pretty cool though I've bought in a load of Omron sockets that were listed as 'octal relay sockets, panel-mount' for a lot less than what the same supplier was charging for 'thermionic valve' sockets even though they're the same thing! The Belton hoods for noval sockets are very nice and look like they'll stand the test of time whereas the cheap stuff from the far east doesn't look as beefy - as far as jack sockets goes I use Switchcraft mainly though these are very good if you need to isolate the earth connection from the chassis...

Hey big...
    What sort of sound are you going for?

I have built a couple 15 watt high gain SEL's that nail the Marshall tone quite well. 3 tubes...2x12AX7 and a choice of KT88, 6550, or 6V6.

I also built a 2 watt with a 6SN7.
    Very nice gain, no frills.

Pic:

Gut shot...I have cleaned it up since. That PC wafer is a bridge rectifier with four diodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
    Hey big...
    What sort of sound are you going for?

I have built a couple 15 watt high gain SEL's that nail the Marshall tone quite well. 3 tubes...2x12AX7 and a choice of KT88, 6550, or 6V6.

I also built a 2 watt with a 6SN7.
    Very nice gain, no frills.
    that sounds like a go for me.....are you selling those, or hooking it up with a parts list and layout?

hollerhollerhollerholler

Big...
    It's a variant of the AX84 SEL.

I built one to spec...it's meh, buzzy at best.
    I played with tone stack values, and whatnot to finally get it to where I want it...I still have to do the actual layout of what I ended up with.

Rob, Kap'n, and many others here helped me get it down to the 6SN7 2-watt version.
    I WILL get it done to a layout.
    Soundclips will follow.

Hey, how did you do that front panel lettering. It looks really good.
    Got a schem?

Quote Originally Posted by ziess View Post
    Hey, how did you do that front panel lettering. It looks really good.
    Got a schem?
    I drafted the faceplate in Autocad, and had a trophy shop engrave the plate. Cheap. And came out ok.

Schem...well, I have to do "my" revisions.
    I better do it before I forget all the changes I made!

My prior post may have been misleading...I have been using the 6SN7 2-watt for about a month now, it does sound very good. That big bottle you see is the 15 watt...6550, still not bad, but a bit louder than what I was hunting for.