Thread: Status LED for Vox wah?

Forum Member

Status LED for Vox wah?

Has anyone here added a status LED to their Vox 847 wah? I recently got an 847A, and I really like it -- it seems to be built like a tank -- but I wish it had an LED to tell me when it's engaged. Can someone point me to a simple way to add one? I've been thinking the little hole on the right-hand side of the foot pedal would be a perfect place to put an LED. Wouldn't even require any drilling.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Re: Status LED for Vox wah?

You'll need to put a new switch in there. I don't recall if the v847 is true bypass. If so, it'll have a double pole switch. To add an LED, you'll need a triple pole switch. Fulltone makes good ones and you can also get them from Electro-Harmonix and some other places.

You'll just need to wire the LED (and an appropriately sized resistor) to your battery and/or power supply, using the additional pole on the switch to break the circuit.

I have to say, I don't quite understand the need for an LED on a wah. That's a pedal I can usually tell is on when it's on.

But... if that's your thing... enjoy!
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka View Post
    I have to say, I don't quite understand the need for an LED on a wah. That's a pedal I can usually tell is on when it's on.

But... if that's your thing... enjoy!
    Thanks for the info. I can tell when the wah is on if I play something, of course -- especially if I play something and move it the pedal. I just think it'd be nice if, like my other pedals, I could tell it was on just by looking at it. I mean, you can tell if most effects are on just by listening, but that doesn't stop their designers from giving most effects a status LED.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

That's a good point. It's also nice, when you first fire up, knowing if things are on or off without having to do a tap dance on each pedal.
    s'all goof.

Forum Member

Yup. And I don't know if this changes as you break it in, but this Vox wah takes a fair amount of pressure to engage or disengage, especially if I'm sitting down, noodling in my living room. I've had it click without actually switching, because I didn't press the stomp switch all the way down -- then I play a few notes and realize it isn't actually on.

mike probably has something on here http://www.fulltone.com/qaframe.html

or maybe here http://www.geofex.com/
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Thanks!