Thread: Power amp tubes for Custom Vibrolux Reverb

Power amp tubes for Custom Vibrolux Reverb

I have to replace the power tubes in my CVR because one is broken. What are my options for tube types? Any 6L6 or 5881? Is it true these don't have the high voltage requirements of a 6L6GC? Anybody have a fav for this amp?

* Stock tubes are (ready?) Fender branded, Groove tubes branded(GT6L6B), Sovtek 5881WXT. These are like a NASCAR jacket. All 3 brands/types are printed on it.

* Fender site, manual, "specs" both say the amp uses "6L6" (not "6L6GC")

* tubedepot.com says this about the stock tubes - Not exactly a ringing endorsement "The Sovtek 5881WXT is one of the most widely used 6L6 variants available. It is the stock tube in Fender and Mesa amps. While not the most harmonically rich tube - it is very affordable and durable."
    Because Lucille don't wanna play nothin but the blues
    And I think I'm, I think I'm pretty glad about that
    'Cause don't nobody sing to me like Lucille

Re: Power amp tubes for Custom Vibrolux Reverb

I believe that Winged C 6L6GC power tubes are the best choice in new tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I believe that Winged C 6L6GC power tubes are the best choice in new tubes.
    +1 They're my favorite 6L6.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Over on the The Gretsch Pages board we just went all through this about tubes. Billy Zoom, who should not need much intro to the guitar playing and listening public, is quite the electronics/amp guy for most of his life. He had a nice summary.

http://gretschpages.com/forum/other-...t/14766/page1/

I have a CVR, and since it is fixed bias you must have your tubes sorted and matched to the Fender Groove Tube "color match" provided in the original amp. Mine uses the "white" bias...

I like the Sovtek 6L6WXT+ and the Winged C 6L6GC. I'm not much of a pedal/gadget guy anymore, nor am I dragging and banging my rig all over the place. I like real clean, full tone..what's coming off the guitar. Those were 2004 production tubes...both sets matched and graded at The Tube Store. Have had the 6L6WXT+ in now for about 2 years.
    Last edited by twangmeisternyc; 10-02-2008 at 02:49 PM.