Thread: Anyone Ever Use a B Hefner & Co. Body?

Forum Member

Anyone Ever Use a B Hefner & Co. Body?

I've got some ideas for a Tele/Strat hybrid and would like to know if anyone else has used a B Hefner aftermarket Fender body. If so would you share your exprience with this product?

Re: Anyone Ever Use a B Hefner & Co. Body?

You should try a search on Hefner, in either the Clone Zone or Teles.

I don't recall the details, but this has come up fairly recently.
    IIRC, I don't think the concensus was very good.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

Try USACG (United States of America Custom Guitars) bodies or Warmoth.

No personal experience with B.Hefner,but I have read many posts about them on a few different forums from people who have dealt with them. They have a bad reputation for getting the orders right, delivering the goods on time as promised and reports of their customer service as far as getting them to correct their mistakes are dismal. I will say it seems there are far more problems with their necks then the bodies. The necks are made to customers specs and they seem to have a reputation for screwing up the orders and taking way longer to deliver then promised. Some people have said the bodies are nice and are a good deal,but considering the overall negative things I've read about them, I personally would never deal with them.

Here's some Harmony Cental reviews. I also added reviews of Edenhaus because it's really the same company,same owner,same product. Overall,very negative stuff.
    B.Hefner
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...rand/B.+Hefner

Edenhaus
    http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...brand/Edenhaus
    Last edited by spud1950; 05-22-2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: To add review links

Forum Member

Thanks for the heads up. I may have to keep looking on the body. I'm familiar w/USACG and Warmoth and plan to purchase a neck from either USACG (if I'm able $$$) or a finished Fender off the 'bay. The body style/dimensions I want were high dollar from USACG. Hefner stated $250 and USACG wanted $400. I didn't try Warmoth so maybe I'll check with them.

Musikraft!

Don't forget Allparts----------I've got 2 of their TMO-FAT tele necks,and they are great.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

Here's a pic of a recent Fender CS model that hints at what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm wanting to use a Tele bridge that I've got with a SD Lil' 59 and a Gibson BB 1 neck humbucker I've got. Rosewood board soft V neck w/a 60's Strat headstock. No pickuard and rear routed body like a front routed Tele and Tele jack. I'm planning on letting RS do the nitro CAR finish and I want as much of it as possible to show!

A lot of people (Warmoth is one) won't do the proper Strat neck route on a Tele style guitar body. So far the only companies I've found to meet all my requirements are Hefner and USACG. I'm finding out that most of the body manufacturers won't stray too far from Fender specs.

Any other sugestions of a company that'll do this for me?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pickaguitar View Post
    Musikraft!
    Right on ! Thanks for the tip. So far Musikraft has the best price @ $189 for a 2 piece Alder body or $329 for a 1 piece Korina if I want to go all out...

So who's used these bodies?

I have used Hefner bodies and necks before. I had to stay on them about getting the stuff to me when they said they would. The quality of the bodies ( both Strat and Tele) were very good. The clain that the bodies are finished and sanded and ready to paint. Both of mine were that way. I had to use some steel wool on both of them but it was for my own touch.

The necks were as ordered but they don't come with the frets finished. I ordered my Strat neck with a soft V, fat head with the bullet adjustment at the headstocl, med jumbo frets etc. If you don't know how to finish frets it would probably be better to go to Warmoth and get one. Warmoth is expensive, but they are excellent necks. To get a fret job done on a neck can make the savings you get using Hefner necks go away fast.........

Happy Trails.....

I've purchased about 6 bodies and 6 necks from Hefner. All have been to my satisfaction. I would recommend that your communication at time of order be in writing and be clear on your communication. I did have one occasion where the order was wrong but since it was in writing Bernie made good on the mistake in short order. The quality is very good and more accurate to Fender than Warmoth.

Forum Member

I just received the 50's telecaster body made of Ash from Hefner: [TBSA50 TELE BODY SWAMP ASH 1950'S]. I ordered it on 7/13/08 and received it on 8/21/08 that is within the stated 35 to 45 day wait time that is posted on his web site so I can't complain about that. He has 3 web sites: http://bhefnerco.com/ ; http://edenhaus.com/ and http://www.guitar-alley.com/servlet/StoreFront....

He does say on his eBay auction pages, that if you order via pay pal or credit card from an eBay auction it is a 2 week wait or something like that. He claims that it will be exact to 50's specs and as far as I can tell it is. I am not an expert. It has all those contours that are not on the reissue fender stuff.

How ever the top was damaged in shipping. The box was punctured by something and left a dent in the top. It is not a show stopper, but it is disappointing. I can fill it with filler but it will not be a sunburst that is for sure. It is a 2 piece slab and the seam is not in the center so if that is important to anyone then I would definitely stipulate that in your order. I did not make any custom requests I just ordered it from his site. It was a good price considering what other shops charge for raw wood.

The grain is nice, nothing fantastic though and it is very light, 3.6 pounds and very resonant. I used a tuning fork to test it and it is loud. The wood is fully sanded and ready to paint with minimal prep work needed. So other than the damage in shipping (FedEx home delivery) there is nothing wrong with it. I am considering getting a neck from Hefner mainly because I don't want any neck to body fit complications when that time comes. He states on his site that he is not responsible for shipping damage if it shipped without insurance. I don't remember ever having a choice on the web page. He also states that if you have questions etc. that you should call the number on the site. I never called I just ordered it.

This is my first project and I am learning a lot about ordering bodies and necks. From now on I will not order any neck or body, from any vendor with out talking to them on the phone first. I read some of the posts linked from this thread on harmony central. He gets a good ripping there especially on the necks. From those complaints I have deduced that I would order the neck over the phone, stipulate what I want it to be minus the frets and work out the whole "get it in writing" thing. Most of the complaints on harmony central are about the fret work.

I looked over all his web sites and eBay auctions very closely in the last 36 days while I was waiting for my body to show up. The initial price on the necks are for unfinished raw necks, the frets are installed and that is it. NO Crowning, no filing etc. and no lacquer. All the finishing is extra. A lot extra. I'm sure its good work but if he does the finishing you can add several hundred dollars to the price of the neck.

Forum Member

I just received the 50's telecaster body made of Ash from Hefner: [TBSA50 TELE BODY SWAMP ASH 1950'S]. I ordered it on 7/13/08 and received it on 8/21/08 that is within the stated 35 to 45 day wait time that is posted on his web site so I can't complain about that. He has 3 web sites: http://bhefnerco.com/ ; http://edenhaus.com/ and http://www.guitar-alley.com/servlet/StoreFront....

He does say on his eBay auction pages, that if you order via pay pal or credit card from an eBay auction it is a 2 week wait or something like that. He claims that it will be exact to 50's specs and as far as I can tell it is. I am not an expert. It has all those contours that are not on the reissue fender stuff.

How ever the top was damaged in shipping. The box was punctured by something and left a dent in the top. It is not a show stopper, but it is disappointing. I can fill it with filler but it will not be a sunburst that is for sure. It is a 2 piece slab and the seam is not in the center so if that is important to anyone then I would definitely stipulate that in your order. I did not make any custom requests I just ordered it from his site. It was a good price considering what other shops charge for raw wood.

The grain is nice, nothing fantastic though and it is very light, 3.6 pounds and very resonant. I used a tuning fork to test it and it is loud. The wood is fully sanded and ready to paint with minimal prep work needed. So other than the damage in shipping (FedEx home delivery) there is nothing wrong with it. I am considering getting a neck from Hefner mainly because I don't want any neck to body fit complications when that time comes. He states on his site that he is not responsible for shipping damage if it shipped without insurance. I don't remember ever having a choice on the web page. He also states that if you have questions etc. that you should call the number on the site. I never called I just ordered it.

This is my first project and I am learning a lot about ordering bodies and necks. From now on I will not order any neck or body, from any vendor with out talking to them on the phone first. I read some of the posts linked from this thread on harmony central. He gets a good ripping there especially on the necks. From those complaints I have deduced that I would order the neck over the phone, stipulate what I want it to be minus the frets and work out the whole "get it in writing" thing. Most of the complaints on harmony central are about the fret work.

I looked over all his web sites and eBay auctions very closely in the last 36 days while I was waiting for my body to show up. The initial price on the necks are for unfinished raw necks, the frets are installed and that is it. NO Crowning, no filing etc. and no lacquer. All the finishing is extra. A lot extra. I'm sure its good work but if he does the finishing you can add several hundred dollars to the price of the neck.

Forum Member

Just judgeing from what I've heard in all the time I've been here( 2 years), stay away from B. Hefner Co. You can bet I wont ever deal with him. His reputation precedes him.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the comments. I went with a USACG body and neck. Both pieces were excellent right out of box.

So far both pieces have been stained yellow w/aniline dye and currently have a few coats of clear laquer which is hardening and awaiting some light sanding . I changed my mind on the finish and am going to do a 2 tone burst myself rather than sending it out for paint.

I'll post some pics of the progress.

TFF Stage Crew

Good choice! Yes, please keep us posted

Some comments following previous posts.... I've always placed my order in person and picked up in person. As far as doing the fret work; I've had Bernie do the work on about 3 necks. I think his fret work is good but I know a guy whose work is just plain great and reasonably priced so I haven't used Bernie lately. I think it is good to finish the wood, assemble, and string it up for a while, and then have the frets crowned and dressed. That way after the fret work is done you can evaluate the playability when you pick it up. Regarding the offset seam on the bodies; Fender did that quite often and I would not be disappointed to receive a guitar like that. When building a partscaster I think it adds character to have a few things that are out of the ordinary otherwise you end up with a cookie cutter guitar. If you don't want an offset seam, ask for a center seam or one piece body and put it in writing. If you are looking for some choice or particular grain in the wood it would make sense to me to have a discussion on this before starting the job. Generally he puts out a great product at a fair price. I personally think the bad comments about Bernie Hefner may be from people that are just too inexperienced or don't properly document their order, who knows. All I can tell you is my experiece with him has been great. Remember, he's a guitar builder, not a mindreader. Here's the first partscaster I got made by Bernie in 1999. Basically a '58 with a SRV neck profile, 3 piece alder body, Antiquity pickups and 50's Fender hardware and plastic. It was finished with satin lacquer but the plan for the future is to finish it in aged Oly white and tinted lacquer on the neck. It is honesty one of the best Strats I've ever had. It sounds great and plays great.

He makes nice guitar bodies. His companies sanding work is unsurpassed in anything I've seen.

I wouldn't say he's the most friendly in Customer Service. But he is ok.

Necks... I wasn't a fan of his necks. I think Allparts with a good fret dress makes a GREAT neck. They're very consistent and super affordable. Steve (the manager) is decent as are the rest of the AP crew. I think they're the best necks on the market. Period.

I've tried necks from about every supplier so I think I'm qualified to say what I said. I will say, USACG is better if you're not familiar with taking care of fret edges etc... I have nothing but good to say about their necks. The only bad is that they're a little pricey. I still would put a well prepped AP neck up to a USACG. For the money, I use AP all the time and have had many positive comments on the feel of the necks I use on my guitars.

+1 for Allparts. +1 for USACG as well.

Hello............

I have purchased 4 different bodies from B Hefner and I have been totally pleased with the results.

They say that they are sanded, sealed and ready to paint. Three of the four that I have have been that way. The other had a very small spot on the back that I had to use some steel wool on to get a small blemish off from to much sealer. Other than that they have been great.

I have bought guitar bodies and necks from several different places and they have (for the most part) been good. Hefner has been the most consistant, accurate and have lived up to what they advertise than the others. I have taken 2 Strat bodies straight to paint that came out perfect.

The necks that they make are great also. You have to finish the frets, but everything else is good.

I hope I'm not coming across as their agent. I have been building guitars for a long time and the pet peave big daddy of them all for me is getting stuff that I have ordered that is different from what's been said on the web. So far, I have nothing negative in any way to say about how the bodies and necks I have gotten from them have been.

That's my experience........for what it's worth........

Happy Trails

TFF Stage Crew

From the looks of the photo in Guitar Whiskey's post, I think the top contour is the best I've seen on a repro body. That point is moot, though, as the cutaways/horns look funky. I don't know if that could be tweaked.

Forum Member

Yep. There are far more vendors that get the horns wrong on repro strats than get it right. Wouldn't the sensible thing be to leave a bit more wood on, pleasantly plump as it were, so that both the lawyers and vintage cognoscenti are at equilibrium.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by carbonti View Post
    Yep. There are far more vendors that get the horns wrong on repro strats than get it right.
    Ayup......it's the primary reason why I try to use Fender components whenever possible. They may not be "perfect" vis-a-vis a true vintage instrument but the contours are close enough to the prototype(s) to please my eye. Ditto with necks -- spares me the issue of applying a "neat headstock accessory" thus creating the possibility of an intellectual property infringement if/when I sell or trade a guitar I've built.

Jus' mah 'pinion, y'unnerstan'......YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by 71818 View Post
    From the looks of the photo in Guitar Whiskey's post, I think the top contour is the best I've seen on a repro body. That point is moot, though, as the cutaways/horns look funky. I don't know if that could be tweaked.
    I have studied this topic of contours, cutaways, horns, tummy cuts, etc. quite a bit. What I have learned is that original Strats were all over the map. They did not cut them out using CNC machines; each one was like a snow flake. There are some generalities for sure. What I can say about Hefner is he follows this same practice in keeping with the variations you see in original Fender guitars. Here is a photo of an original 1957 Strat. Compare this to the details on my Hefner partsocaster and I think you will see the simiarities are pretty close. If you are used to looking at Fender reissue stuff than original Strats are going to look odd to you every now and then.

Lastly here's are two of my Cunettos. Note how the pickguards follows the same profile as the body near the cutway. The orignals vary allot in this feature.

There's no disputin' that you've built a fine guitar there, GW. But there is a discrepancy in the cutaways (at least to my eye) that, while not objectionable, is at variance with the prototype.

I've added indicators in the appropriate areas......

This is by no means a showstopper and might in fact be missed by visual inspection alone. However, the "feel" at the neck/body nexis is probably palpable to those who are intimately familiar with the prototype.

HTH

It's not a big deal to me either way but I'm not seeing what you're showing as being different. It looks the same to me as on the blonde 1957 I was showing. Does it look like I need to add wood or remove wood to make it look right? In any event I agree it does not look like the '57 reissue shape. I've been putting off finishing this for 8 years. Hopefully I'll finally get it done this year.

Hard to say, GW. You might lay a contour gauge into the cutaways, trace the resulting outlines onto some poster board, then see how the shapes jive up with other guitars in your stable. I'm sorta thinkin' that there is enough "meat" on that body to allow for a correction. As I said, it is a very subtle difference at best. Hay-ell, the gauge may reveal that I'm jus' pissin' in the wind.

Well if I had a real 1957 Strat I probably wouldn't be messing with my parts guitars; so it would be hard to do an exact comparison. It's interesting to note all these things but in reality I just like the playing and feel of the Hefner guitar. It's not the most pretty one I've ever had but it's fun and I have no anxiety leaving it out or taking it anywhere. I'll study the contours a bit more before it gets painted. The gold Cunetto I like very much, the white one was traded for a Townshend SG 5 years ago.

TFF Stage Crew

I guess I'd have to agree w/you on some points. I think everyone has a different standard on what flies & what just won't do. I like certain vintage details & other stuff I just don't care about, or as long as it is close to certain perameters I don't care; for instance, my guitars don't have to have "period correct" finish colors or pickguards, & the frets & neck profiles I like customized. Internal routes aren't that important to me, either.
    But headstocks & horns, contours & radii I want a certain way. It's like my eye is drawn to these details & if they aren't how I like them then it just won't do. It'll bug me to no end. I know they are just cosmetic details, but heck.
    I used to have an early Fender CS "Homer" LE w/all gold hardware & gold finish & anodized pickguard. The finish was about a quarter inch thick & the body radii was probably a 3/8" roundover which made it look almost square. It weighed a ton. I hated it & sold it after awhile.

yeah I got one

I got one on one of the strats I have built it is really cool sounds great with the 69 pickups I put in it. I hand rubbed a stain on it. It took forever to get though but it is a really good sounding body.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    There's no disputin' that you've built a fine guitar there, GW. But there is a discrepancy in the cutaways (at least to my eye) that, while not objectionable, is at variance with the prototype.

I've added indicators in the appropriate areas......

This is by no means a showstopper and might in fact be missed by visual inspection alone. However, the "feel" at the neck/body nexis is probably palpable to those who are intimately familiar with the prototype.

HTH
    I checked out this guitar in detail compared to the Cunetto body and an original '56 body. I was surprised to see how the upper cutaway is much different on the Hefner; you were right. Fortunately there is extra wood (rather than negative wood) so I can contour the body to match a Fender before I go to painting it. The bottom cutaway looks the same as the Fender; the shadow in the picture makes it look wierd though. Thanks for pointing this detail out.

Smoove! Be sure to check the cutaway often against your Cunetto template as you work it. Hope to see some nitro on it soon.