Thread: E flat tuning :)

E flat tuning :)

What's the main advantages of tuning your guitar 1/2 step lower? Or maybe disadvantages?

Re: E flat tuning :)

A lot of blues artists do this (SRV, Hendrix). I think they do this just to give them a lower tone. I wouldn't say there are any disadvantages.

You might find that tuning a half step down allows you to sing easier. You might also find that it allows you to use a heavier guage of strings which might improve your tone (as a matter of opinion). You may also find that if you normally tune a half step down, and then try to play with other who are not half step down, that you have difficulty following them or vice versa.

The effect on the guitar is, if you don't increase the string guage, there will be less string tension on the neck (possibly resulting in the need to adjust the truss rod). If you increase string guage, the relative tension should remain the same.

None of this should harm the guitar over the long term, so enjoy experimenting.
    POO DAT!!!

i think of it like using a capo, instead of moving up you're moving down. depending on the song, like the others said, it might make it easier to sing. in the past i've done it with a classic rock cover band we had. not in the new one i'm in. i do it on some of my songs i write, and sometimes i even tune down a whole step. i tune my melody maker down a whole step and use big ole strings on it cause that guitar speaks better that way.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I've been playing in E flat for quite a while in the past. And I ended back on the "default" tuning. I kinda think the whole tone of the guitar goes slightly different. Maybe more musical, if you can say so... When suddenly (just for experimenting) I lower the strings by a 1/2 tone, it just "sings" more... And i don't get it why... And I'm just wondering if I should stay with the E flat? :)

Makes heavy gauge strings easier to bend.

BW

Some guitars sound very fat tuned slightly lower.

It's easier to play along with a sax, since most saxophones are in Eb or Bb.

I read somewhere that Stevie Ray did it 'cause he thought it was easier to sing along with.

It also aligns well with Eb pentatonic minor with a keyboard.
    "The body shape is perfect. The pickguard, perfect. Control layout, perfect. I wish I'd thought of it...the Strat is part of our heritage. Someone once said that Leo was in a state of grace when he designed the Stratocaster. I can't argue with that." - Paul Reed Smith

Forum Member

I use it on all my guitars including 6 and 12 string acoustics. I love the lower full tone and capo up when ever needed. Great on Tele, Strat Les Paul. If you do this for a while you might be surprised how many classic rock songs you will find were recorded using this tuning.
    By the way, mandatory on 12 string acoustic and Ric 360-12 electric.
    I would also highly recomend this tunning to you singer/song writer solo guys.

Actually, I prefer Fb

Quote Originally Posted by cre2403 View Post
    Actually, I prefer Fb
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by cre2403 View Post
    Actually, I prefer Fb

Quote Originally Posted by 57HANK View Post
    I use it on all my guitars including 6 and 12 string acoustics. I love the lower full tone and capo up when ever needed. Great on Tele, Strat Les Paul. If you do this for a while you might be surprised how many classic rock songs you will find were recorded using this tuning.
    By the way, mandatory on 12 string acoustic and Ric 360-12 electric.
    I would also highly recomend this tunning to you singer/song writer solo guys.

The only problem some might have with this practice is that some electric guitars do not 'like' to be capo'ed. However, if you use the capo correctly, it will most likely work - Kyser makes one of their quick-change capoes specifically for electric guitar- it has a bit lower tension and a narrower profile to fit slimmer necks with taller frets. If you have problems with the capo at the first fret - always make sure you're right behind the fret, or even on top of it (but not hanging over it...).

As for mandatory for Ric XII, I don't know if I subscribe to that - the 360/12 is double-trussed and should hold standard tuning with no detriment - now, if you want to keep your 12 strings tuned lower to facilitate playing, I've actually found that tuning a full step down and capo'ing at II works much better - at least for me - and the dot position markers are still on 'odd' frets in this case (except for XII) and I find that makes my life easier when trying to figure out solo licks in the new position...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd.lt View Post
    Why?
    Fb is E.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    Fb is E.

damn.... I must have been asleep...

That's a good one to pull on the new harmonica player.

BW

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd.lt View Post
    What's the main advantages of tuning your guitar 1/2 step lower?

To annoy and aggravate any guitarist who wants to play along with your records.

Forum Member

Don't take me to literaly regarding the `manditor` thing. I was really refering to my personal preferance. Playability, though, is definately improved on the acoustic 12 string. I very seldom use a capo on elec. 6 string.

'S'all good, Hank. Try the capo II sometime on the acoustic 12-string, tuned down a full step. It really makes playing the 12 a lot easier...and I find that it intonates better at the 2nd rather than 1st fret (perhaps because of the height of the nut...)

If you are playing alone, no big deal but if not, the main disadvantage is that it forces everyone else playing with you to play in flat keys. I personally don't jam with players who tune to Eb unless they play in the normal guitar keys. It is just a wee bit egocentric to assume that everyone else should tune to a non-standard pitch.