Thread: Wood on ash hyw1 texas

Wood on ash hyw1 texas

I was wet sanding more on my blond tele to get finish thin and disovered at the bottom edge it looks like they ran a veneer around the edge of the guitar,any you guys seen or heard of this.The guitar appered to be a solid chunk of ash but now I wonder.It looks like a pin stripe in bout a 1/8 in from the edge.I have her tore down installing some 52 vintage pu and going with the broadcaster wiring scheme,the mexi pick ups seemed muddy.A poormans nocaster.Thanks for any replys......................Gary

Re: Wood on ash hyw1 texas

I'm not certain about the Hwy1's, but laminates are pretty common on the MIM guitars with opaque or sunburst finishes. I see no reason to think the Hwy1's would be any different. Fender specs state that all bodies are multi-piece, with MIA's having fewer pieces than MIM's.
    POO DAT!!!

Forum Member

welcome to MIM.

You get what you pay for.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cherrick View Post
    welcome to MIM.

Which, in my experience, is a good-looking guitar that plays and sounds great.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Which, in my experience, is a good-looking guitar that plays and sounds great.

I agree, Elicross. Haven't found a MIA Fender that I couldn't find an equal or better MIM.

If the Hwy1 was a TRUE Texas model, the wood would be mesquite or live oak instead of ash.

"...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cherrick View Post
    welcome to MIM.

he said the guitar is a highway one. they are "assembled in america."

My curiosity got to me so I rubbed on thru the finish on the edge,must of just been the way I sanded before because it looks like a solid piece of wood my fault for having a dumshit attack.Got the broadcaster wiring done yesterday and really like it,between this and my moded les paul I cant ask for more on a budget.Thanks for the replys.......................Gary

Forum Member

My Texas Tele is very clearly a nice 2-piece ash body. They bill it as a '52RI body but the finish is obviously different