Thread: Something to make you sick...

Something to make you sick...

I'm playing for a pit orchestra this coming weekend. Tuesday night was the first rehearsal of the pit with the actors at the venue. There was one prior rehearsal that I wasn't able to attend so this was my first one.

The bass player was a nice fellow. He's an orchestral player and said he just acquired his electric in order to play this gig. It's a 1978 fretless P-bass in a natural finish - GORGEOUS condition.

He said it belonged to some acquaintence of his who died and his mom just wanted to get rid of it. The bass has been in its case behind a couch at her house for the last 20+ years. So it's essentially brand new, like opening a time capsule.

The killer? He said he paid $350 for it. Then, the guy was genuinely ignorant and said, "Do you think I paid too much?"

He honestly did not have a single clue. I had to tell him that a new one would be about $1200 and his could probably easily fetch twice that, especially in its pristine condition.

How come I don't know any old ladies with 30 year old Fender guitars behind their couchs?
    s'all goof.

Re: Something to make you sick...

how come you didn't buy it from him? He's not going to keep it.

Oh, but you've already let him know it has value...

The thought crossed my mind later that evening, but that ain't me. I'll inquire if he's going to keep it. If he's nutty enough to sell it to me for about what he paid, I'll take it in a heartbeat.

Hey, the guy is a professional orchestral musician. I'm sure he's not rolling in dough. He probably needs a little windfall more than I do anyway. I'm happy for him. I just think it's hilarious that he didn't even realize what a fantastic deal he got.
    s'all goof.

awesome for the dude! i know what you mean curto, "but that ain't me."

most "classical" musicians have NO idea about the "pop" world. i've been in their midst, very different mindset.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Yeah. It's funny - the pit orchestra is mostly players from the Reading Symphony. Holy crap, those guys can play! It's making me nervous and I'm trying to up my game a bit so I don't look like a fool. I'm the only non-professional musician in the pit.
    s'all goof.

Here's an experienced player, not at all seduced by the idea of a genuine P-bass as an object of desire.

In purely practical terms, after playing only upright, it has to be a very different experience for him.

It would be really interesting to hear what his impressions of it as an instrument are.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

That's a good point. One thing I thought was hilarious - at one point in the practice on Tuesday he turned to me and said, "do you have any idea how this slapping thing works?"

His score was telling him to do some slapping and popping on a funky number and he simply had no idea what to do.

I'm not expert. I explained the concept to him but couldn't really offer much in practical terms. He looked appalled at the very idea!

I can understand. I have a degree in classical guitar. One of the objects of my study while at school was developing very clean technique. It drives me crazy to hear string squeaks. A lot of players just seem to accept that string squeaking is inevitable and unavoidable and just a natural part of playing guitar. Nope. It can be almost entirely excised by good technique.

So the equivalent would be my score telling me to make as much string noise as possible.

Okay, it's less funny in the retelling.
    s'all goof.

i'll take your word for it, i guess you kind of had to be there...i mean...umm...
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"