Thread: Gigging The EB-0 For The First Time In Years...

Gigging The EB-0 For The First Time In Years...

So I've been getting this thing about playing short scale... My main band these days is a Rolling Stones "tribute" type band. We've got a pretty good Mick Taylor era sound. Since starting with these guys, not only has my concept of how I approach playing changed- but I've also found myself looking for an entirely different tone than I have ever wanted. While, for years, I've looked for the bright, ring-y Fender-ish tone- with this band I'm looking for a more thuddy, thokky sound but still have presence and definition to the notes- so for this band, the Fender and the G&L take those nights off. I dug the Thunderbird out of retirement...

Just because I'm still trying to chase what I hear in my head- I got out my first bass- a 1971 EB-0.

It's been a trainwreck longer than I've owned it- and I've done a lot of work learning about playing and learning about how things work on this bass. Over the years I've replaced hardware, I've added pickups, removed pickups, messed with pickup placement, dicked with the wiring... When I got it out again a few months ago, I had every intention of getting a Wyman-esque sound. This time I'd gotten a good sound out of the P pickup I'd stuck in there- and I reversed the inputs/outputs on the pots- in effect, made the pots blend the mudbucker and the P pickup without the mudbucker overpowering the P. Throwing a mute in front of the bridge and it's actually really a good sounding bass for what I'm looking for.

Saturday nite, I braved taking it out. As the headstock has been broken off at least 5 times- I'm hesitant to bring it out anymore- because the tuners stick out to the back, and the case I have doesn't really have room for those- it's dangerous just transporting the instrument. I brought the EB-0 and the T-Bird. I played the first half of the show with the EB-0. I got some great sound- but just a little uncomfortable with the scale and the tone- it's what I wanted to hear- but it was out of my tonal comfort zone. Dig? Anyway- I switch to the T-Bird around halfway through- and although the tone was cool- I had a hard time adjusting to the regular scale. Like it took several songs before I was not reaching too far or spending too much time in making sure I was where I was supposed to be.

It was a cool experience- and one that kinda sticks with you- in practice or rehearsal- it just doesn't weigh on you- if you **** up or it's not delivering- it's not a big deal- but when you're in front of people...
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
    still can’t help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Re: Gigging The EB-0 For The First Time In Years...

Cool basses! I love the look of the Gibson Firebird / Thunderbird.

That other thing is a gorgeous disaster with its tape and burned look.
    s'all goof.

A "gorgeous disaster..."

Forum Member

What, exactly, is that substance holding the headstock on?

i need to pull out the EB-0 one of these days. it's so weird to me that mine rings out, very ungibsony...

glad to hear you're diggin the bass. i've been playing the hell out of my j bass lately. i've never been a j bass guy til now.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I dig the look of the slotted headstock on those old Gibbys, though yours looks like you've been stirring butterscotch pudding with it.

Very cool.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by hippiebob01 View Post
    You've got your answer - butterscotch pudding. Congealed, obviously.
    s'all goof.

My 1st real bass being a Gibson Ripper makes me really jealous of your T-Bird (and its sunbust too!)

But I must say I'm so into my Jazz Bass right now the old Gibson is is semi -retirement right now.

You might want to restore that old EB-0 back to stock I did it with my 70s ripper and it went from $400.00 to 1100.00 in value.

Quote Originally Posted by hippiebob01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    I dig the look of the slotted headstock on those old Gibbys, though yours looks like you've been stirring butterscotch pudding with it.

Very cool.
    As I mentioned the headstock has been broken off at least 5 times- 3 times since I've owned it (although, ironically, I've never been the one to break it). The last time it was repaired, the guy glued it, doweled it, and then replaced a chunk of mahogany on either side of the nut. It's an ugly repair. For whatever reason, I thought it would be a good idea to slather the repair in 2 ton epoxy. It's not just that I slathered it with 2 ton epoxy- I spent about a week building up a "volute" out of 2 ton epoxy. Slather, dry, repeat.

It hasn't broken since 1995 or so- probably the longest it's ever gone without a break.