Thread: Computer Drum machine choices?

Computer Drum machine choices?

Hey all,

I'm looking for drum software, preferrably free or free to try. I want to use it to program the songs that I'm playing, and probally use it for live shows for the guitar/bass 2 piece I'm working with.

I realize the laptop at a show might not be a good idea, but I don't want to put out $$$ for a dedicated drum machine.

Anyway, what PC options are there? I've worked with the midi in some recording programs, but found that I spent way to much time programming and never got it right. I'm looking for something with a simple interface...like Part 1 is an intro, part 2 is a verse, fills, endings, etc. and I can just cut & paste parts together to make up X amount of measures.

Thanks,

Cyber

Forum Member

Re: Computer Drum machine choices?

I don't know if there's a free demo, but ezDrummer is pretty great. It's a VSTi software synth with fantastic sampled drum sounds, and it comes with loads of pre-programmed MIDI grooves and fills you can just drag and drop into your VST and MIDI compatible recording program.

There are a bunch of add-ons, too, each with its own specialized drum kit and appropriate grooves to go with it. It comes with a standard Pop/Rock kit, and last time I checked, there's a Classic Rock add-on, plus a Drumkit From Hell for hard rock, a Latin Percussion set, and a really cool Cocktail set for funky jazz stuff. These are rich add-ons...some of them are bigger (in terms of hard drive space) than the ezDrummer software itself.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

You might also want to check out Groove Agent by Steinberg http://www.steinberg.net/945_1.html

It's both more, and less, than what you've asked for but might be just what you wanted. Want somthing simple, with good samples, is easy to program, doesn't sound computer generated? Groove Agent meets those needs in spades.
    POO DAT!!!

How about combining the free ACID version from Sony http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...als/acidxpress + betamonkey drum loops www.betamonkeymusic.com