Thread: Fender Japan Jazzmasters + Jaguars

Forum Member

Fender Japan Jazzmasters + Jaguars

What's with people selling CIJ Fenders on ebay for around $800-$900....are they that good??

Forum Member
    No! I usually see 'em in stores in the $400-500 range.

i don't see too many locally. but i do have 2 mij guitars, a jazzmaster, and a mustang. the mustang i bought for 250 bucks. i was in really good condition. but it seems that everyone wants the japanese stuff. i think they are good guitars, the fit and finish are amazing, but i have always felt that the pups always lacked character. so both of my mij's have had pup swaps. and i'll tell you what, they are great guitars. just don't spend too much on them. i don't think they're worth 900 bucks though.

I've had a few Japanese built Fenders. Currently, I've got a Jazzmaster, a pair of the original 'set neck' Telecoustics (none of that plastic back crap), and a Foto Flame Jazz Bass. I put Seymour Duncan "Hot" pickups in the Jazzmaster and SD 1/4 Pounders in my Jazz bass. I actually prefer the Japanese necks over the current US made Fenders, and the bodies are at least as good. When it comes down to it... they're high quality instruments. However, the main appeal is that you can get the Japanese guitars for less than an equal quality US made instrument. Don't over pay. I've had 3 Japanese Teles and a Japanese Strat in the past as well. I can honestly say, you won't be disapointed in the quality. They are at least as good as the US models I've owned ('77 Tele, '89 Tele, '90 Strat):bigal

Forum Member
    He used to cut the grass...But now his mind is totally destroyed by music.
    I'm currently on my second Japanese strat, and I think the quality and value is excellent. I don't like the strat pups, but lots of them come with US pups now.

Forum Member
    got a bunch of Fender Japans. Had to sift through some so-so ones to get to the keepers but the ones I kept are as good as my US made Fenders. Most of mine are 80`s with one or two 90`s and even some of the latest. The 80`s strats are amazing. Don`t like the flimsy pots and plastic switches but they can be changed when they give out. The older guitars came stock with full size electronics.

Seymour Duncan pickups always make MIJ Fenders sound SO much better :)

Originally posted by Zendocon
    Seymour Duncan pickups always make MIJ Fenders sound SO much better :)
    Yessireebob, they do...

And new, better pots add to them as well!
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Aye. Did that as well ;)

Forum Member
    Duncans in a Jag or Jazzmaster are about close as you can get to the orginals.

new jags at MF for 6 or 700 new?????

MIJ, i assume?

news 2 me!
    Imanidiot.

^ Sweet deal if that's true.

check ebay man , I just picked up a factory or pro refin in burgundy mist metallic jaguar. It sounds amazing and when I bought it they told me it was a 64 but no one had tampered with the guitars guts and it had an early 63 date clay dots. gorgeous guitar post pics later

MF has Jazzmasters and Jaguars in their latest catalogue for $699.99

They're only available in two colors - red and blue with white pickguards,
    The Jag doesn't have the mute on it in the catalogue photo...and they're not equipped with the mute either at the Fender, Japan site.

So...you think they're worth it?
    I'm not interested enough in a Jag to pay over a grand for one...and since I'd prefer new over used...this seems like a sweet deal.
    Is it?

Forum Member
    Depends. Look up the Ishibashi (a large Japanese music store) website and see what the price, shipping, and customs would be for one sent directly from Japan. Alot of people like MIJ Teles and do this alot and often the price is surprisingly low. I often hear tales of awesome customer service about Ishibashi and good English to boot. Good luck.

I went to that site and it was all jibberish.
    Maybe I missed the "English" button.
    Thanks for the tip.

BTW...they had some beautiful and unusual Fenders on their site.

Forum Member
    right now is a good time to buy MIJ... the exchange rate favors Americans.
    shoganai ne

Originally posted by sneaky
    right now is a good time to buy MIJ... the exchange rate favors Americans.
    Erm, no. The time to buy MIJ was when the exchange rate was 130+ Yen to the US$, now that it's 109 or so it's a pretty bad move, comparatively.
    2005 new gear count: CIJ '72 RI Tele Custom. NOS '88 Charvel Model 3B. Reverend Drivetrain II. Boss CH-2. Boss DS-1. Boss BCB-60. PRS Custom 22

Forum Member
    right. I got it bass ackwards.
    shoganai ne

Hey, it's always a good time to buy a Jazzmaster

Forum Member
    I was talkin to the other gaijin in Japan.
    shoganai ne

Forum Member

Re: Fender Japan Jazzmasters + Jaguars

yeah, don't know about the american situation, but I'm in Italy and I bouhght a japanese reissue '62 jaguar, you know, at this thime we have a positive exchange in almost all foreign values...and I'm perfectly happy with my jag...when I bought it, I just couldn't found MIJ strats or teles, but it's OK, I always wanted a jag, so I took the chance! I think the MIJ are good guitars...you now, many people say that japanese-made instruments are quality instruments but they have no soul...I think that's the player that gives the "soul" to a guitar! What's your opinion about this?
    the world isn't perfect, in a perfect world Chapman would have shot down Yoko Ono!

Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by akai View Post
    ... many people say that japanese-made instruments are quality instruments but they have no soul...I think that's the player that gives the "soul" to a guitar! What's your opinion about this?
    I agree with you. Attributing qualities like "mojo" to hunks of wood and metal is kind of like believing in amulets and charms. For me, a guitar has soul if it plays every note across the neck clearly and in tune.

whoa, flashback!
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

since this thread started...has it been this long already?...a lot of guitars have come and gone and the ESP Edwards?dunca series are outstdnding value for the money if you can get em used. Got another strat just yesterday for almost nothing and what a great little guitar.
    shoganai ne