Thread: YA USB recording interface recommendation thread

YA USB recording interface recommendation thread

Hi y'all, long time since I've posted here but I check in just about every day.

Although I've got a Boss BR-1600 standalone recorder and other nondescript gear that I have used for recording, I've never done much with computer based recording beyond using Audacity under Linux. Recently, though, I bought a Windows laptop and would like to pick up a USB recording interface so I can use some loops, create slightly more interesting drum parts and maybe add cheezy synth fills to the stuff I do. Basically, I want to learn how computer-based recording works through practical experience.

My prospective budget is $150-$175 shipped, and it has to be USB because my laptop does not have Firewire. Of the options in that range I've been looking at the E-MU 0404 USB because it's fairly basic box with some decent reviews on overall value, and a fairly generous bundle of `light' recording applications to try out.

Things that are somewhat important to me right off the bat: direct monitoring (somewhat of a given in this range), driver latency and stability under Windows Vista, overall preamp and DAC quality, and MIDI in/out since this is the only music-related thing I would want to hook up to my laptop.

Things that are not as important to me at this time: bus power or small footprint or mobility (I don't anticipate much location recording), S/PDIF (though it would be nice to have in a pinch), more than 2 ins at a time, and rates higher than 24/48, really.

Any suggestions based on those criteria?

Re: YA USB recording interface recommendation thread

Hey - I've been using the M-Audio Mobile Pre for a couple of years now and I've been satisfied with it. I've tried a couple of others along the way and pretty much always come back to this since it's pretty stable. Search on "Mobile Pre" in this forum and you'll find references to it.

One thing to make sure of - most USB audio interfaces should, in theory, work with most software recording tools, but sometimes don't it's worthwhile either test driving the hardware with your software or vice versa.

Good luck....

DD

Thanks for the recommendation, DD. The Mobile Pre would be an option except that it doesn't offer MIDI, and I would like to control a piece of MIDI-only gear (a Vox Tonelab) with my laptop so I can edit patches with the Windows application program Vox provides.

I totally see your point about test driving - I hope I can find something that's stable.

Thanks!

Gravity Jim

Here ya go.

Tascam US122L

I see some bad reviews at MF for this.... I suspect the owners expected more than you could get from a $130 USB interface, or simply didn't know how to use it.... the original US122 was a big seller.

On the other hand, I've never used one, so... maybe it sucks.

Well, there's always that. Before I buy anything, I will be reviewing the reports of Vista compatibility carefully to see just how likely success might be. Thanks for the recommendation!