Thread: Cold Solder on Preamp (HR Deville)

Forum Member

Cold Solder on Preamp (HR Deville)

I've got a Hot Rod Deville 2x12 and have been experiencing a bad crackle when i play hard or on certain notes that cause the amp to vibrate more. All the tubes have recently been replaced so I couldn't understand what was up. While the amp was on I decided to tap on the tubes just to check for microphonics and such. I found that tapping on V1 caused a little crackle. I then slightly pushed/pulled on the tube and got a lot of crackle and popping. Further inspection showed that there are 2 broken solders on the preamp tube socket. I used a wooden chop stick and pushed on the tube socket and the power went out on the amp. Another push and it came back on. So, is it dangerous to drop solder on those cold solders if the amp is off and I don't touch anything else? Should I desolder those first or will just a dab on top be suffice?

Re: Cold Solder on Preamp (HR Deville)

I would drain the caps first. Be sure you solder them correctly and have good shiny joints. I wouldn't just drop solder on the joint, that's not really how to solder. If you're unsure, take it to a tech. There is a lot of potentially lethal high voltage in there.

A dab on top isn't the correct way to fix. You need to reheat the connection until the solder flows. Maybe add a little solder if required. The board was wave soldered so it will most likely like a bit more on the connection.

Make sure the solder you use isn't water-wash (acid core).
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Ok. thank you both.