Thread: GFS 60's Repro?

GFS 60's Repro?

Hi, all,

I've been thinking about getting a set of these:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/19repralstpi.html

for my strat, and I'm wondering if any of you have tried them (GFS has so many different sets, it's kind of dizzying).

From their webpage, they sound like they're pretty darn close to what I need, but I'm most curious about the bridge pickup, and the almost-inevitable strat-itis. I'd really like to avoid getting yet another shrill strat bridge pickup, if I can.

So, if anyone out there has tried these, how is the bridge pickup?
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

Re: GFS 60's Repro?

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    You want a beefy bridge pickup that still twangs, get the Brass Bottom @ 7k.
    Hmm... very interesting. I just looked at those. They might just be the ticket for my bridge pickup woes. From the webpage:

"Why a baseplate? The brass plate slightly attenuates high end, removing the shiny plasticy feel that even the best Strat pickups can exhibit. They also reflect back a good deal of mid range energy. The result is a very focused, well defined sound. It drives the amp a little harder, reacts to picking dynamics a little more, and just, in general ROCKS. Our R&D proved that the brass baseplate is a little rounder and more musical thana copper coated steel plate- so brass it is!"

High-end attenuation? increased midrange? Bring it!

If I was you, I'd get the Brass Bottom @ 7k, and two of the singles, one @ 5.25k for the neck and a 5.5k for the middle.
    I'm assuming he'll break sets up? I don't see the 60's Repros anywhere on his site except as a set. I guess I could just buy a full Repro set and a 7K brass bottom, but then I'd have leftovers.

Thanks, Fezz!
    -Dave Barry

Uh-oh... now you got me thinking. 60's Repro? Lipstick tube? Argh!

Maybe it's time to build another strat.
    -Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by pseudocat View Post
    I'm assuming he'll break sets up? I don't see the 60's Repros anywhere on his site except as a set. I guess I could just buy a full Repro set and a 7K brass bottom, but then I'd have leftovers.
    I emailed Jay, and he doesn't break sets up. I think I'm going to go with the 60's set, and if the bridge pickup is too shrill for me, I can replace it later.

It's interesting to me that my teles have never sounded shrill or harsh to me, but strat bridge pickups have been a real pain to get dialed in.
    -Dave Barry

Or you could just buy the vintage singles and build your own set.
    Link to the singles...
    hey fezz, how do you compare this repro's with 57/62's?sound wise, i'm also thinking of ordering a set of repros too.

The 60's Repros are very close. I really love the neck pickup. Smooth, clear bell-like strat tone.
    sweet!
    Gotta have tone baby!

Overdue update:

I ended up going with the '60s Repro set, rather than mixing and matching with the Brass Bottom.

The pickups arrived slightly underwound: they're advertised at 5.35K neck, 5.5K middle, and 5.8K bridge; what I received was 5.33K neck, 5.4K middle, and 5.6K bridge. The bobbins were clean; there weren't big gobs of wax hanging off, and the leads were soldered on neatly.

After wiring them in, and doing a cursory set-up, I plugged into my DRRI and gave them a spin. I was immediately blown away by the "spank" of these pickups. All those great, greasy, slinky strat sounds were right there. The quack in positions 2 and 4 is outstanding -- I'm liking not having a RWRP middle pickup. And the neck + bridge position (I always wire for that) is to die for.

The neck pickup alone is superb. Most of the strat pickups I've had before these were wound a lot hotter, and seemed more "choked." This pickup is sparkly, round, and sweet. A real winner.

The bridge pickup, which was the one I was most concerned about, sounds really great. Yes, it's bright and crisp, but it's not shrill or harsh. This is probably the most usable strat bridge pickup I've had, next to the one in my old black '76 strat (the one I still kick myself for selling...). With a bit of overdrive, it rocks, too. Sure, it'll never be a P-90, but what the hey...

GFS '60s Repros? Yes, please.
    -Dave Barry

Fezz they no longer carry the Brass bottom plate models I talked to them and Jay said thay are not going to restock them, I guess used is the only way to get one now. I wanted to try them also. I may just fashion my own
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

roll your own my man.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    roll your own my man.
    I think I will lots of brass kicking around work.
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

scrap is always easy to pick up. making a baseplate and mounting it is super easy. plus, you can find the info on how to do it here on the interweb.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Brass bottom singles aren't listed anymore.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Doesn't Fralin sell a "bassplate" for strats? They're not brass, but the principle is similar.