Thread: Buying my first Fender Stratocaster. A few questions!

Forum Member

Buying my first Fender Stratocaster. A few questions!

Hi there!

First of all, I apologize for my poor english. It is not my natural language but I´ll try to do my best.

Here is the deal: as a rock guitarist I always have Ibanez guitars: Rg´s and Steve Vai´s Jem model. But I started to play guitar because of the blues and now I want an american Fender Stratocaster. You just can´t play blues on a Ibanez. I really want a stratocaster sound.

So, I found this guy that is selling me a "Fender Roadhouse Stratocaster". It has 3 texas special pickups and a nice (an different) pickguard. Rosewood fretboard and all the common stuff that a Strato has.

Here is the real picture of it:

Im going to travel to test it in 2 days, but before having it in my hands I would like to know if, considering the pictures, is this a real roadhouse guitar. Are the Texas Specials good pickups for a blues tone?

Well, I would apreciate any info about this guitar and know if Im in a good way of having a nice stratocaster to play blues.

Thank you, and sorry for my english.

Tom.

Re: Buying my first Fender Stratocaster. A few questions!

To my knowledge, Texas Specials are only good for SRV's unique tone and not for much else. It will give your guitar Stevie's #1's growl, but I can't vouch for its versatility

Texas Specials have their own sound, you like 'em or don't. It has nothing to do with what they're good for...and SRV did not play on Texas Specials. I swear, I get so sick of folks droppin' 'Texas' on something and all of a sudden it's supposed to be more special somehow.

Trust me, I live here. there is no Official State Pickup, unless you consider a Ford, Chevy, or some kind of dualie.

I digress...I have a set and I like 'em. However, I dig Pat Metheny, and the super mid-range sounds are appealing to me, which is why I probably like Texas Specials.

Pickups aside, if you want a blues sound, get a good amp. That will do it much more than the pickups in your guitar. A tweed-era of some sort will definitely get you there, but any amp that gets dirty via tube saturation is a good start.

I think if you have a quality pickup, you'll get some good sounds. If you try this guitar and it stays in tune, and feels great to you, then it's a great guitar.

Pickups can be changed.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

well then, my mistake. I live in Texas also, and I don't automatically think SRV when I see "TEXAS". I just thought (and i still do) that the specials were modeled after Stevie's sound. correct me if I am wrong...

Forum Member

Well, thanks for the answers.

Actually I love SRV´s tone!. I don´t want to sound exactly like him (I agree with NTbluesguitar that the amp is an important part of the tone).

I have an all-tube british amp so I´ll have no problem to get a nice tube blusy tone. I saw a couple of videos on youtube of people using texas specials on their strats and they sound really nice!.

I´ve just found some sort of catalog of the Roadhouse model:

nice guitar!
    Imanidiot.

Quote Originally Posted by danii View Post
    ... I don't automatically think SRV when I see "TEXAS". I just thought (and i still do) that the specials were modeled after Stevie's sound. correct me if I am wrong...
    Well, they're wound hot, and put in the SRV Strat. But even the SRV strat isn't supposed to be a recreation of his #1, but more a model designed around his preferences. I bet he said "I like the pickups wound hot", and then Fender made them like that and slapped the "Texas" moniker on 'em.

Hope you didn't take my earlier comments as directed at you...I tend to get annoyed with marketing strategies. Maybe it was that stupid Rodeo Ford ad that's on every channel at every commercial break for the lat two months that set me off...
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Two things:

1. What would be a synonymous of "wound". I can´t understand the meaning of "wound hot". Sorry for that

2. What I understand is that the Texas Specials are a little bit hotter than other single coil pups. My question would: be how much hotter? I have dimarzio Paf pro and Evolutions and those are more than 400mv pickups. Insanely hot.
    I really don´t want to have more hot pickups!

Is there any Dimarzio or Saymour Duncan replacement for strat that you know sounds good?

Quote Originally Posted by mang View Post
    Two things:

1. What would be a synonymous of "wound". I can´t understand the meaning of "wound hot". Sorry for that
    "Wound" is the past tense of "wind" and refers to the number of windings of copper wire on the pickup bobbins. A pickup "wound hot" has a greater number of windings of copper wire than a standard pickup. Hope that helps.

Forum Member

Oh, I see. Thanks for the info scablander.

Let me add another question: Should a maple-fretboard guitar cost more than a rosewood one?.

I have this Roadhouse in a good price (the one we were talking about) and then I have this other beautiful 1997 American Standard with maple neck:

But this guy, sells it 250 u$d more than the roadhouse. I don´t know if the maple necks are always more expensive or I just have a good reason to fight the price a little bit. I mean: offer, lets say, the same money that the Roadhouse cost.

I say this because I love maple necks!

I guess my questions are too "newbie". Sorry for that.
    Last edited by mang; 08-05-2007 at 01:32 PM.

Beautiful guitar and color by the way! As for the price premium, I am pretty sure that it is negotiable and is also determined by the build quality (if there is any difference) and not by the fretboard type. I love maple too and I think you should go with that.

And no problem, NTBlues! stuff happens, haha.

Forum Member

Danii, the maple one doesn´t say "Corona, California" on the back. It only has a "Fender" Logo on it. Is that important?

I'd get the Roadhouse because it's flashier looking, and it has a nicer case.

Quote Originally Posted by mang View Post
    Danii, the maple one doesn´t say "Corona, California" on the back. It only has a "Fender" Logo on it. Is that important?
    That's all up to you. I wouldn't think so.

I had a black roadhouse nice guitar. the Texas specials are good pick ups. If you like the guitar once you get to try it out great enjoy. IMO if you do like it as is leave it that way. Enjoy it for what it is , not for what someone else tells you it could be !
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

Forum Member

The roadhouse does come with the cool tolex case....

The maple neck one looks like it in better shape, but if you really intend on using it, does it matter? I think I like the roadhouse, but I'm a rosewood guy.

My pups are made in texas (Rio Grande)....so they are literally....texas tone. As for trying to sound like Stevie...i can't afford a dumble.

You guys have all made valid points.

I'm less technical and less scientific.

Me....I'd go with the second choice....as was stated above it looks in better condition, the paint looks flawless and I love maple necks.
    Bish
    "I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds."

Forum Member

Well, finally I tested the 2 guitars.

The maple one won all the awards. First, because I have all my guitars with maple neck and I love them. Second because of the sound, the neck, the wood, the pickups.. everything just fell right in the exact moment I had it in my hands.

Then I tested the other one, but I really didn´t like that much the pickups and the neck.

Hope next week I can buy it. I´ll post some pictures.

thanks!

I have to chime in on the Texas Specials(even though I am a little late). I love them! There is a reason that almost everyone has a set. They sound great. People either hate them or they own them.

Sounds like you have made the choice that feels best. That is what I would tell you to do.

I personally prefer rosewood fret boards. Prefer being the key word. Get what you prefer. Don't buy with your eyes, buy with your hands and ears. It is a Strat and there are many, many choices. Play them until you find the one you want or the deal you want. No need to get in a hurry. They are still making them....Last time I checked;-)
    Last edited by mrmas; 08-10-2007 at 02:44 PM.
    We Aint Got No @&* #$%$ Band Randy!

Forum Member

I took the Texas specials out of my '92 SRV sig strat in favor of the harness w/pups from an Yngwie Malmsteen strat. The fella who has my old Texas specials tells me he gets constant complements on his pups in a Saga strat copy. I just like a stacked coil or noisless pup. Thats a nice guitar but keep in mind that you don't have slotted tuning pegs or an old school 6 point whammy. you have the 2 point modern tremelo. Not bad at all but maybe a little Ibanez-ish and not as Fender-like as a MIJ or even Tokai.