Thread: Hot Rod Tweed Deluxe Big Problems :-(

Forum Member

Hot Rod Tweed Deluxe Big Problems :-(

I've had my fender deluxe for a couple of years. It's the yellow tweed version. Made in Mexico. Type (PR 246) with the Jensen speaker.

Anyhow I use this amp in my band every weekend.
    I love the sound of this amp! But unfortunately it has a reoccurring problem.
    I will be on stage playing away happily. And the amp will just stop working.
    Its happened quite a number of times. Each time I have sent it away to be repaired.
    Firstly they said it was the valves. And they replaced them. The next time I was told it was a dry solder joint. And they fixed it.
    But now it’s happened again.
    I am very careful when transporting the amp. Because I know you have to be with valve amps.
    I don't even play loud. Most of the time I have the amp volume set at 1
    It will work for up to an hour sometimes and then stops.
    I love the sound of this amp. But this is a real pain in the butt.

The other smaller problem is to do with the writing on the chrome plated control panel.

It all just peeled off only a few months after I purchased the amp.

As I said. I really love this amp. But I don't think the writing is supposed to just peel off after a few months?

I spoke to Fender here in New Zealand and the said it wasn't their problem.
    They told me "the acidity of the sweat on my fingers" was responsible.
    I don't except their explanation.
    I have another 20 year old amp. And the writing is still as clear as a bell on the control panel.
    I hate complaining about this amp because I love the sound so much

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do? Should I try to claim a new Amp on warranty?

Please help!!!

From John

New Zealand Muso/Singer

Re: Hot Rod Tweed Deluxe Big Problems :-(

Welcome!

Fender probably won't do anything about the writing on the faceplate. And as unreliable as this amp is in general, it should still be under warranty.

I'd suggest that you get it fixed, and sell it before it breaks again.

A quick search on this board will tell you the horror stories.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Thanx man :-)

I don't really want to sell it because It's got such a great sound!
    Do you think that fender would replace the amp because of the fact it's stopping all the time?
    I mean that's got to be poor workmanship or a fault caused by them when the amp was built right?

If it was some of the solder joints.....it prbably is others now. At least that was one re-occurring issue...

unplug it....open the back......

Humor me on this.....

Wiggle each tube (valve) lightly and look at the pins on the other side of the ciruit board. If you see any onf them move, that is an issue. I have eventually de-soldered and resoldered all of those pin points.

There are lots of things it could be beyond that. Mine was similar, and that addressed the issue many times. It also crackled and had ugly break-up, weak signal and buzz and hum...all associated with this as one of the issues.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

I'd suggest building a 5e3. I would push the warranty issue as far as you could. I have a HRDlx that crapped out at 6months old with bad solder joints. It's been fine since. My next amp will be hand wired. I will either build a 5e3 tweed clone myself, or buy a hand wired amp. IMHO pcb's do not belong in tube amps. It's nothing more than a fast, cheap way out for huge profits. Even the so called reissues aren't. The originals did not use pcb's, and for some reason they try to "improve" the original designs. They were great amps that do not need improving or modification. Sorry about the rant, the whole unreliable, land fill amp thing just ticks me off.

Forum Member

Hey thanks dudes :-)
    I will try wiggling the tubes and look for movement.
    I hate complaining.

I just figure if you building an amplifier with your companies name on the front of it.

You should make sure it's something you can be proud of.
    Rather than just cut costs wherever you can to make money.

Frank has some great advice. That's exactly what happened to mine. Bad solder joints on the tube sockets. I had a power tube that would kick in and out. That whole peeling thing sounds like a bad silk screening job. I would try to make them at least replace the chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by bouncy777 View Post
    Hey thanks dudes :-)

I just figure if you building an amplifier with your companies name on the front of it.

You should make sure it's something you can be proud of.
    Rather than just cut costs wherever you can to make money.
    well, you would think,
    somewhere the bean counters won on this model
    I can't believe it would cost that much more from a cost stand point to use a higher quality construction.
    BUT, that is one of thier best selling amps - so why fix what is selling?

Trouble is, someone plunks down $500 - $800 for a "tube" amp...
    they don't expect it to be problematic

am I rambling? sorry
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Quote Originally Posted by stratcat55 View Post
    My next amp will be hand wired. I will either build a 5e3 tweed clone myself, or buy a hand wired amp.
    I think your next amp should be hand-wired into the HRD...

Now, you know you can't post without me giving you a hard time about that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    And as unreliable as this amp is in general, it should still be under warranty.

I'd suggest that you get it fixed, and sell it before it breaks again.
    +1

There's a whole lot of amp out there you can get with the money.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Ok I just checked the tubes.
    They are all glowing except for the first pre amp V1 and the third?
    So maybe it's the tubes again this time?
    I haven't had them that long...

Also the solder joints around the third tube v3.
    (is that the right name?)

anyway the solder joints have black marks around them?
    Does that mean they are cold solder joints?
    How do you tell if a solder is a bad one exactly?

And I really appreciate all the help thanks heaps!

Probably not the tubes. It's not often two burn out at exactly the same time. Sounds like a board issue.
    orange picks

The rest of the guys pretty much know my HRDv story by now - I - like you - loved the sound of my amp - particularly the clean ch. - it was - for what I paid for it 2nd hand - amazing cranked up - but the prob is and always will be the PCB's - I've given up on them now - I fought and fought to keep mine going but to cut a long story short - it's not worth it - they just go downhill once the probs start. I - unlike you - pushed it pretty hard but that's the nature of the band I'm in - a pretty straight down the line Anglo-American blues rock thing - me being the Yank ingredient but my point is - once the probs start - it's really not gonna get better - you fix one thing and the prob moves elsewhere. I was appalled at the quality of the PCB's in these things - I don't think they could have found cheaper boards if they tried - and it's pretty obvious that they did!!!

Have a look around the forum - the 'Amplifiers' section is good for getting ideas about where you might want to go with this - but one thing is for sure - that PCB is just gonna deteriorate and Fender don't give a monkey's 'cause they've been paid for it and they're just looking to sell more amps - cynical but true. The people who sold it to you aren't going to get anything out of Fender to help you either though that paint should definitely not be peeling off! If you're gonna persevere with it - either in getting it fixed and selling it or otherwise - send me an email - I have a 9 yr old faceplate from my HRDv that'll fit it with all of the paint still intact - you can have it for the cost of the postage.

There are some really good kits out there - Weber seem to be the most reasonably priced - and they openly publish the schematics and layouts - they're not really their intellectual property anyway - as they're Fender designs - they just augment them with their Copper Caps, chokes, transformers etc in the hope that you'll find it easier to just go with their kits - seems fair enough to me. I've decided to go with a tweed design that I'm gonna fit in the existing chassis - hence the surplus faceplate - but remember - no one is here to bust your chops 'cause you've (like many of us) been stitched up - but point to point wiring is the only way to go and the advice here is excellent - welcome to our world

Just read you're post re solder joints - that's heat dude - and precisely why these PCB's are a nightmare - once they get a bit warm the substrate that adheres the copper tracks to the board starts drying up and the trouble begins - man, that's a drag.

Also the two little green wires between the board that accomodates V1 and the other main tube board (filament supply) have a tendency to break quite easily if the amps ben worked on a bit - I'd check their intact. I also had an on going problem with PI tubes (V3) - was getting through them like mad until I did some work around it...

I highlighted the tracks I literally had to hard wire and I resoldered all the pin connectors...

Thanx man :-)

I don't really want to sell it because It's got such a great sound!
    Oh, well how does it sound when it's broken?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Hey yankeerob.
    I think I might take you up on your offer!
    That is really kind of you! "
    Kinder than Fender have been anyway!
    I just couldn't believe the explanation they gave me about the writing peeling off. I mean why couldn't they have just said
    "Yes your right. That should'nt happen. We will send you a new chrome plate straight away,as your a valued Fender customer etc..."
    How do I pay you for the postage etc...?
    Also re: solder joints. Should I re/solder those joints which have black rings around them?

Also re: solder joints. Should I re/solder those joints which have black rings around them?
    If you are having warranty work done - don't do anything. Make em do it all. If you are doing work, or having it done outside of the warranty, go for it maybe....up to you.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    I think your next amp should be hand-wired into the HRD...

Now, you know you can't post without me giving you a hard time about that, right?

+1

There's a whole lot of amp out there you can get with the money.
    Nt
    I'm going to keep the HRD as a backup. I really want the Mission tweed cab. I'm really gassin fir this thing.

FJ's right - for god's sake don't do anything unless you've given up on the warranty route - and I reckon you've got a case with that paint and the thing breakin' down all the time -

We could do the postage via paypal - but please email re that so I don't upset the Fezzter - I'm not looking to get 'El Cabonged' just yet!

Forum Member

Attention YankeerobDon't worry man I haven't touched the insides!
    I gave the community law center a call.
    And they have said that Fender are in breach of the Consumer Guarantees Act that we have here in New Zealand.
    So I've got alot of quotes from different people on the internet. Who have the same trouble as me. (And there are heaps of them!)

A short version of the act goes something like this:

1 The goods are of acceptable quality and fit for the purpose they are sold for;

2. The goods are reasonably fit for any purpose represented by the supplier;

3. The goods meet any requirement made known by you before purchase;

So you get the idea.

I’ve even got the fender Agent in the city I live in backing me on the side.

Ok. my father has got a credit card so if you give me your email address we can set it up.
    And by the way the world could do with more people like you 
    Do you think that any of the guys at Fender actually gig regularly and no what it’s like to have an amp play up on you???

Well - given that my HRDv was exported to a country whose native domestic power is 240V and came set up for 230V operation speaks volumes - I'd like to get a hold of the powers that be in Corona and kick 'em all where it hurts - but life marches on - good luck with that and let me know about the plate...

Gravity Jim

Do you think that any of the guys at Fender actually gig regularly and no what it’s like to have an amp play up on you???
    Yes, they do. In fact, I once booked a band for a corporate party at a resort in Scottsdale that comprised several Fender employees.

Sure, but do they play HRDx's?

Maybe if they could get free replacements at a moment's notice.
    orange picks

Gravity Jim

Well, it's been about 10 years, but, they were mostly horn players ( a Tower-of-Power clone). The guitar player played a Strat into an old Deluxe Reverb, the bass player a P-bass into something I can't recall.