Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deluxe Player's Strat...discontinued?

Forum Member

Re: Deluxe Player's Strat...discontinued?

You'd think so, but no store within reasonable driving distance has the one I want at the online price.

It's possible the Guitar Center about an hour from my place has one, but I checked the GC web site, and they're selling the one I want at Fender's MSRP. No discount at all. It's the only Deluxe Player's Strat that's not discounted -- the very one I want. So GC's not an option; as much as I want this guitar right now, I'm not about to pay nearly $250 extra just to avoid a shipping delay.

Have you tried Music123:

http://www.music123.com/Fender-Delux...47159.Music123

Says its in stock, but I would call first.

or ZZounds?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN133000 (rosewood)

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN133002 (maple)

I have had much better luck with these two companies. ZZounds actually shows the remaining stock of each individual color (Crimson Red in Rosewood shows one in stock right now, but seems to have several in stock for maple fretboard).

Hope you can get your card credited quickly. I would give ZZounds a try.

Good Luck.
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Forum Member

Thanks. I'll check those out once I get paid or get my credit from Sam Ash. I got a tuner from Zzounds.com last month...I don't know why I didn't think to check them for the Strat. The fact that they say how many they have left and when it would ship puts 'em ahead of Sam Ash and Musician's Friend -- unless they're as full of crap as those two.

Forum Member

Here's the latest development, in case anyone's still interested :

I called Sam Ash today to see why my refund still hasn't posted to my account -- and it turns out that the guy who canceled the order for me last Wednesday never put in a request for the refund!

Good thing I called, huh? Now they're saying it'll be another 24-48 hours before I get my money back for an item they were at least two weeks away from shipping when they charged my card.

It's looking like SamAsh.com is a real buyer-beware kind of dealer. I thought they had a good reputation, but my experience suggests it's not deserved. They're bad news.

Forum Member

They're all morons. You just have to keep calling. I tend to call right back, speak to someone different, and see if what I wanted done was actually done. All these people want to do is get you off the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by refriedwhiskey View Post
    You'd think so, but no store within reasonable driving distance has the one I want at the online price.

It's possible the Guitar Center about an hour from my place has one, but I checked the GC web site, and they're selling the one I want at Fender's MSRP. No discount at all. It's the only Deluxe Player's Strat that's not discounted -- the very one I want. So GC's not an option; as much as I want this guitar right now, I'm not about to pay nearly $250 extra just to avoid a shipping delay.
    Well, if you can bear the risk of getting a guitar without playing it first and finding it to be a dud, then I'd say go for it. Cos personally, I can't. I HAVE to have a good piece everytime I buy one. Especially since I've seen and experienced so many duds in my local shops.

I can't even bear the idea of buying something online I've not played. Heh...

Employees at guitar center will almost ALWAYS deal with you. you can really score some amazing deals there if you put your poker face on. the employees make commission they want to sell you things. also im sure if you take a printout of the musiciansfriend price theyll probably match it. and they really deal on there pedals and things.

BUT dont hold me to that because you really have to find the right salesman

FYI - AMS has a Deluxe Players Strat or their "scratch and dent" list for under $500 (in case any of you guys are looking for a good price on a great guitar)

http://www.americanmusical.com/item-...133002367.html
    MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain

Quote Originally Posted by TheLizardKing View Post
    Employees at guitar center will almost ALWAYS deal with you. you can really score some amazing deals there if you put your poker face on. the employees make commission they want to sell you things. also im sure if you take a printout of the musiciansfriend price theyll probably match it. and they really deal on there pedals and things.
    True, though it's harder for them to make killer deals with Fender products, as they generate less profit than some other lines. Ever wonder why they have so many Epiphones in stock?

If you want to get good deals at GC, find an Assistant Manager that knows their stuff, and buy only from him or her. Make a few small purchases, then come in and see them for the big deal. If you call ahead and make an appointment to meet with them on a weekday, it can help a lot too. They're typically hungrier for sales on weekdays, and are more likely to give you a better price.

And the old "better price for cash on the barrelhead" trick actually backfires at GC. Because of their cash purchase policies there, it's actually a lot easier for the clerk to do a sale if you pay with plastic.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

I got pretty killer deals on both big fender products i have bought there being my american strat and super reverb reissue but it is really up to the variables being the day you go and who you deal with and your absolutely right about the weekday thing. i actually bought alot of my guitar stuff through a manager in the drum department because he would deal with me so much.....but then they fired him

Oh, I wasn't saying they can't make good deals on Fenders; it's just that they have less wiggle room than with some other stuff.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

Yeah i know what your saying though. heh they can pracically give you epiphones.