Thread: Wide Range Pickup Question

Forum Member

Wide Range Pickup Question

Hi Folks,

I just acquired a pair of original 70's Fender Wide Range pickups for a Tele Deluxe restoration project. The guitar didn't have original pickups when I bought it.

Both of these pickups are much more microphonic than any pickups I know. Tapping them with a finger makes a loud thud through the amp. Even tapping the pickup selector switch makes noise through the system. They're also very prone to feedback in higher gain situations.

Does this sound right for these pickups? Could it be a wiring issue in the guitar?

Thanks, Sternobob.

Forum Member

Re: Wide Range Pickup Question

Sounds typical of old pups with no wax potting and/or a loose cover.

i cant remember exactly how these pups look--- been awhile since ive seen any not mounted in a guitar.

but, it aint a big deal to pot pickups, and covered 'buckers are especially easy. just take your time, dont get your wax too hot (you MUST use double boiler, and perhaps a candy thermometer). tapping out the air bubbles is the trickiest part. the covers make clean-up easy, since the cooled wax can be peeled off (smudges left on the chrome can be gotten with a washcloth and hot water). you can then take your trusty bic and re-melt anything that needs it, like around the pole pieces (after adjustment). search the web--- there are several how-tos that are detailed and well-written. it will make all the difference.
    a

Forum Member

Thanks guys. Ya learn something every day.