Thread: I officially apologize..LP guy converted

Forum Member

I officially apologize..LP guy converted

When I was growing up and first started playing guitar,(late sixties through the seventies), there where only two kinds of guitars, Gibsons and Fenders. Being an Allman brothers fan I was a Les Paul guy all the way. Don't get me wrong - I always loved SRV, Clapton, Etc and the sound they got from their guitars but Fender was not for me ----until now....I just got my first Strat ---American made 60th Anniversary and I am feeling guilty how much I'm loving this guitar. The tones I get through my Hot Rod Deluxe are enough to make you cry. It definitely has me exploring other things in my playing and my approach. Therefore......

I officially apologize for my prejudice and ignorance. The Strat has become one of my favorites.

.........P.S. PLEASE DON'T TELL THE GUYS ON LES PAUL FORUM,,,,,I'll deny everything.
    "My taste in guitars usually far exceeds my ability to play them"

Re: I officially apologize..LP guy converted

I just like guitars. Welcome.

I have always loved Strats. But I also would like to have an LP someday.

Al DiMeola's Kiss My Axe is one of my favorite albums, and I love the sounds he gets from his LP.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

For love of guitars

Welcome
    Then Play On

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

apology accepted....now .
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Apologies? Loving guitars is never having to say your sorry. Glad you found a strat to your liking.

Quote Originally Posted by lpbrian View Post
    When I was growing up and first started playing guitar,(late sixties through the seventies), there where only two kinds of guitars, Gibsons and Fenders. Being an Allman brothers fan I was a Les Paul guy all the way. Don't get me wrong - I always loved SRV, Clapton, Etc and the sound they got from their guitars but Fender was not for me ----until now....I just got my first Strat ---American made 60th Anniversary and I am feeling guilty how much I'm loving this guitar. The tones I get through my Hot Rod Deluxe are enough to make you cry. It definitely has me exploring other things in my playing and my approach. Therefore......

I officially apologize for my prejudice and ignorance. The Strat has become one of my favorites.

.........P.S. PLEASE DON'T TELL THE GUYS ON LES PAUL FORUM,,,,,I'll deny everything.
    I know what you mean. I was a les paul all the way kinda player also,until I tried the nashville tele I bought a few year's ago & wow that tele twang bit me hard! Now I own 5 fender's. A clapton srtat,woodstock strat,american ash tele,nashville tele & a twelve string acoustic. Go figure? Oh & Some pic's of my gear.
    http://62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/58reissue/
    Oh the tone

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_Mc View Post
    I just like guitars. Welcome.
    So do I ------although my wife doesn't quite understand....."why do you need another electric guitar, you already have one?" is her question when I stand there and lust over a guitar at the local guitar shop. All sarcasm aside from my original post ----I love my new strat as much as I love the 2 ovations, the telecaster , the Les Paul, the ES-135, the Breedlove and the PRS McCarty.........just like women, they all come in different shapes,sizes and tones.......the only difference is I get in less trouble with guitars.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 58reissue View Post
    I know what you mean. I was a les paul all the way kinda player also,until I tried the nashville tele I bought a few year's ago & wow that tele twang bit me hard! Now I own 5 fender's. A clapton srtat,woodstock strat,american ash tele,nashville tele & a twelve string acoustic. Go figure? Oh & Some pic's of my gear.
    http://62.photobucket.com/albums/h118/58reissue/
    The Les Paul was always my favorite ---- but I tell ya this strat has me feelin guilty ----I just won't play it in front of the lester.

BTW the 58 looks sweet.

The tones I get through my Hot Rod Deluxe are enough to make you cry. It definitely has me exploring other things in my playing and my approach.

Try it through a 5E3, You will then be in tonal heaven...

Nothin' wrong with liking other guitars...
    it's like beer...as much as I like IPAs, a stout now and again goes down real well...
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Forum Member

Now you need a Tele.

Forum Member

I have a few guitars, but my two absolute favorites are my Les Paul Standard and my MIA Tele. I can cover a lot of ground and not come up short with those two guitars.

So do I ------although my wife doesn't quite understand....."why do you need another electric guitar, you already have one?" is her question when I stand there and lust over a guitar at the local guitar shop. All sarcasm aside from my original post ----I love my new strat as much as I love the 2 ovations, the telecaster , the Les Paul, the ES-135, the Breedlove and the PRS McCarty.........just like women, they all come in different shapes,sizes and tones.......the only difference is I get in less trouble with guitars.
    My wife is still dealing with why I spent more on a Strat than my Les Pauls especially since it's reliced.

Forum Member

I was into les pauls for over 25 years.I would get a strat every once in a while and allways sell or trade it.Last october I traded my last les paul,historic gold top for a McCarty.Since then I sold my 1974x,and got a used victoria 45410.I then bought a ww10 65ri.This strat is the best guitar ive played.Ive been disabled since last july(cronhs disease)and decided to get what I liked.Now to pay for the strat im selling my McCarty,and maybe even my 52ri tele.No regrets for now.You dont have to apologize for being converted to a strat.I was in a rut with the gibsons.I think the strat is more versitale.I got myself a lovepedal woodrow.I have never been so pleased with the tone im getting from my set up.Nothing wrong with gibsons.Im just not into them like I used to be.

there is a reason the strat & the LP are the most copied instruments.
    Both are excellent designs and have desirable characiteristics
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Forum Member

It's ok to like both styles of guitars.

But, as an owner of Les Pauls, Fender Strats and Teles.......I have to tip my hat to Leo Fender.

The Fender Strat is the most versatile guitar there is.

All electric guitars are a derivative (in body style and functionality) to either the Les Paul, Fender Strat or Fender Tele.

So do I ------although my wife doesn't quite understand....."why do you need another electric guitar, you already have one?" is her question when I stand there and lust over a guitar at the local guitar shop.
    I answer that to my wife by asking her back: "How many pairs of shoes do you need? You already have 5 pairs... Why do you need another one?" Heheh...

But I must say, I just tried an amazing LP Supreme over the weekend. Now it's churning in my head. Thing is, I've never really felt comfortable with an LP, but if I were to buy one, that would be it!!! That's why I'm still thinking about it.

Hmmmm ...Do ya notice something about this "family" portrait?

Guess I'm a Gibson guy who discovered the joy of Strat later in life, too.

Funny how that white EC Strat ia THE ONE that jumps out at you.

Hey, if it's guitar, it's good. No apologies needed. Jut get out there and play.
    Visit me and my band at:
    THE ROCKIN' ROAD DOGS;
    REVERB NATION;
    or on
    FACEBOOK

"Live Free or Die"

I started off with Fenders and came to Gibsons later in life - both brands make incredible guitars that fit different musical moods and needs - it's ok and recommended to like both

I can relate. I initially switched because I have really big tree stumps for fingers and the longer scale length on a Fender suits my hands better. I'm not bashing Gibsons... I still love their tone, beauty and craftsmanship, but I've found that I've been able to get my Fenders to sound like Gibsons, but I could never get my Les Pauls to do what my Fenders will. Nothing else out there (that I've tried, anyway) sounds quite like a Strat and there is definitely nothing else that will do what my Tele will! I'm basically down to those two guitars now (well, I do still have one uncompleted Les Paul Special project that I'm un-hacking and I'll probably sell when I finish) and those two are really all I need. Amazing, huh? IMNSHO, the Fender Stratocaster is the most versatile guitar ever made. So, I guess I'm sorry too. I'm really sorry that I used to spend a lot more money to make the same noise I do on a pair of $700 guitars.
    Last edited by flintpunk; 04-23-2007 at 05:49 AM.
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Forum Member

I hear you.
    I love playing my Nashville Tele. And I often prefer the big, ringing, fat'n'juicy sounds from my LP. I really do not need a Strat.
    But I sure find myself wanting one. Was attracted by the thick sounds from an Am Deluxe. Then tried a Clapton recently that had even more sonic wickedness, although I don't know if it's something that you can live with. So someday it will all become clear.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sixpense View Post
    The Fender Strat is the most versatile guitar there is.
    It is amazing how well-designed the Stratocaster is, So many tones, all so good. As for a Gibson humbucking counterpart to go with my Strat, I choose the ES-335 over the Les Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM View Post
    Now you need a Tele.
    +1

I have the good news and the bad news. The good news is that you love your strat, all past transgressions are forgiven, and you are welcome here with open arms.

The bad news is that you are now in deep sh*t. As brother JAM said, it's time to get a tele. As a recent tele convert I can tell you that learning to get the most out of a tele is addictive!

All the best to you.

No need to apologize. I'll play anything with six string on it. I find something good with just about all of them. I've even played a Teisco Del Ray in public. As long as you're making music and your happy it's cool.

"It is amazing how well-designed the Stratocaster is, So many tones, all so good. As for a Gibson humbucking counterpart to go with my Strat, I choose the ES-335 over the Les Paul."

Okay, the practical part of me would agree, but the rocking side of me says I still have to have an LP. Too much vibe not to have one. The Fender Strat is my all time fave guitar.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Quote Originally Posted by jeru View Post
    +1

I have the good news and the bad news. The good news is that you love your strat, all past transgressions are forgiven, and you are welcome here with open arms.

The bad news is that you are now in deep sh*t. As brother JAM said, it's time to get a tele. As a recent tele convert I can tell you that learning to get the most out of a tele is addictive!

All the best to you.
    I'm still trying to find THE Tele for me... I know I want one. I just don't know which one... heh.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Quote Originally Posted by demioblue View Post
    I'm still trying to find THE Tele for me... I know I want one. I just don't know which one... heh.
    THAT is the tone search!

IMHO, finding THE Tele is like looking for your Soul Mate.

When you find it, know it, and go for it without hesitation.

My problem is that I found that Tele for me when I went to go pickup my '56 Relic.
    Couldn't take them both home.

Now I'm considering if I can part with my R8 for it- it was that nice, a '51 Nocaster Relic.

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    THAT is the tone search!
    I'm not sure about that... You see, I have so little experience regarding Teles, and I haven't heard much Tele tones either. I don't know what to look for. It's not like searching for a Strat. That's easy. Knopfler, Clapton, Johnson, Malmsteen, Sambora, SRV, KWS, Cray, Guy etc etc... There's a common line in them in terms of tone, which is evident in a strat. I can tell what it is. But for Teles? I need help!!!!

All I can think of now is to find the right one that feels right to play. The playing position of a tele is already alien to me. No tummy cut, no forearm cut, it sort of feels like a flattened acoustic. Not exactly comfortable. BUT I still know I want one...

... and I haven't heard much Tele tones either.
    You've probably heard more Tele than you realize.

All I can think of now is to find the right one that feels right to play. The playing position of a tele is already alien to me. No tummy cut, no forearm cut, it sort of feels like a flattened acoustic. Not exactly comfortable. BUT I still know I want one...
    Okay.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

I'm divided

I spent most of my life learning to play on a les paul and got very used to the sustain.

Now when I play my EJ Strat...I can pull it off kinda well but really have to keep on my toes to make the notes last. Is this a common thought or could my EJ need some more work/different luthier to increase the sustain?

Jason
    http://www.myspace.com/thursdaysproductions

Quote Originally Posted by pickaguitar View Post
    I'm divided

I spent most of my life learning to play on a les paul and got very used to the sustain.

Now when I play my EJ Strat...I can pull it off kinda well but really have to keep on my toes to make the notes last. Is this a common thought or could my EJ need some more work/different luthier to increase the sustain?

Jason
    http://www.myspace.com/thursdaysproductions

As with any guitar its all about the vibrato..

Well...I've got vibrato down...it's just that without it the notes don't seem to last long enough.

"Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    Yes you have. You just didn't know it:

James Burton, Roy Nichols, Roy Buchanan, Amos Garrett, Cornell Dupree, Louie Shelton, Tommy Tedesco, Alvino Rey, Robbie Robertson, Jesse Ed Davis, Bill Kirchen, Danny Gatton, Mike Bloomfield, Doug Sahm, Bob Bain, Howard Roberts, Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, "Big" Jim Sullivan, Bruce Welch, Albert Collins, George Harrison, Steve Cropper, Albert Lee, Pete Anderson, Robbie MacIntosh, Elliot Easton, Danny Gatton, Bill Kirchen, Vince Gill...

The list is endless.
    hmm... maybe I have... hahaha... but I could never tell they were Tele tones... Always thought they were mostly strat, since I could get similar tones from strats... I think I seriously need to go check out some more Teles...

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    Clapton

What is THAT?!?!?!?!?! That's a Strat necked Tele? Or am I missing something???

Forum Member

... and I haven't heard much Tele tones either....
    fezz and others have already covered this, but just for sheer tones I'd trade my Strat for a Tele, but I've only got a cheap Tele (a Squire) and my Strats play a whole lot better. (Not quite to the level of my Gibsons, but real close)