Thread: Favorite Tubes

Favorite Tubes

Not sure if this is where I should post this, so mods feel free to move it and chastise me.

Basically, what I'm asking is what you favorite brand pre/power tubes are and why. I've done some searches on the forums and it's just way too scattered to be of any use. I thought it might be better to create a post specifically for this, as it would help others (namely myself ) in choosing the best tubes for the task. So, guys (and gals), what are your favorites and why. So far, my favorites seem to be the JJ 6L6GC tubes for the power section (I haven't experimented with power tubes, as I never really thought they did that much to contribute to the tone, but I have found how wrong I was when changing from Groove Tubes to JJ/Tesla). As for preamp tubes, I remember my used (read EXTREMELY USED) RCA and Magnavox 12ax7 tubes salvaged from an old Ampeg SVT head from the early 70s were the best tubes I had ever heard at the time (the smoothest overdrive I have ever heard, and a really warm tone without a lot of bass or highs), but they have long been dead and I'm stuck with just getting new JJs at the moment.
    --The music is all around us. I can hear it. Can you?

Re: Favorite Tubes

JAN Phillips 5751 pre-amp tubes

Svetlana power tubes

I've had good luck with this combo

The EHX 6L6GC's have been good by me so far. My old school RCA Blackplate tubes are really awesome. JJ also makes great power tubes.

For preamp tubes, I mix it up quite a bit. JJ, JAN Phillips, Tung-Sols...

My favorite 6V6s are JJs. My favorite 6L6s are NOS Sovteks (6N3Cs).

I'm not settled on preamp tubes yet.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

RCA 6V6GT and Tung-Sol 5881 - the ones with the funky mica space spacers.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

All of my amps are vintage, and I have allways used vintage tubes, (RCA, Tung-Sol,Sylvania,Mullard,Telefunken etc.) Good current mfg. tubes are JJ, TAD I use these in my customer's amps and have never had any problems with them.

1970s Sylvania 6L6GCs/STR387s, yum!

I'm currently using JJ's, Svetlanas, and Groove Tubes in the preamp sections of my amps. I think I like the JJ's and Svetlanas best. For the power amp tubes, I've had great success with Ruby MSTR series. They are supposed to be a very close approximation of the original Phillips STR and one of the better tubes out today. Check this site out...

http://kcanostubes.com/content/Default.asp

They have lots of valuable info!
    Last edited by flintpunk; 04-10-2007 at 04:55 PM.
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

RCA 6L6GC power & Sylvania, GE and/or Westinghouse preamps.
    I especially like the old GE 12AX7 in V1 of both the HRDx and the 78 Twin. Throaty growl and extremely touch, attack and volume sensitive. I can get a huge range of overdrive using only one drive pedal (Bluesbreaker clone I built) and nothing else.

I've found using a 12DW7 in different places can really open up an amp. It's half 12AX7 and half 12AT7 in the same tube. I ordered one by accident (a JJ from Eurotubes) and found it can be a really nice tweak in the right spot in certain amps. Less saturation and a more open sound.

Cheers,
    - JJ
    "I bet your Momma was a tent-show Queen ..."

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Gross View Post
    I especially like the old GE 12AX7 in V1 of both the HRDx and the 78 Twin. Throaty growl and extremely touch, attack and volume sensitive.
    Thanks, man. This is the kind of information I was fishing for.
    --The music is all around us. I can hear it. Can you?

I've also recently found that using a pair of JJ EL84 power tubes with Groove Tubes "Substi-Tubes" converters under them (improved Yellow Jacket clones) gives the HRDx a very Vox/Marshall character that I'm really diggin. Less extreme bass and really brings the highs to life. With these in the HRDx, I can actually start with all my tone controls at 5 and go from there. No way you can do that stock. The overdrive in particular is vastly improved and not a single solder joint has been touched. I haven't got a lot of hours on them so I may fall out of love with them eventually, but I doubt it.

Cheers,
    - JJ
    "I bet your Momma was a tent-show Queen ..."

Forum Member

Love the JJ 6L6GC/5751's for power tubes - way better than the stock GTs. For pre-amp tubes, I currently have Ruby 12AX7's in all three positions, though I've used Mesa Boogie 12AX7's. They're very nice tubes as well.

for HRDx

V1: ECC81 from Telefunken
    V2: ECC83S from JJ
    V3: ECC82 from Valvo/Telefunken

PowerTubes: 6L6 from JJ or TAD (black Plate, big one) biased between 40-45mA, means 80-90mV at HRDx testpoint

I didn't try the ECC81 and ECC82 from JJ, but I think they are OK.

Alternativ:
    V1: ECC81 from JJ
    V2: ECC803 from JJ (more crisp) or ECC832 allso JJ(lower Gain)
    V3: ECC88 or ECC99 form JJ

The lower gain ECC82 (µ=17) in the driver-position results in turning the volume pots more clockwise for te same loudness. Because of their lower inner resistance (like ECC81) the sound is mor open and responsive.
    You have to try how you like it.
    Last edited by ²Thom; 04-16-2007 at 11:28 PM.
    equipment: american dlx strat & noiseless protone light Squier Tele & Hoyer Les Paul & Takamine accustic, two modded HRDLX giging-one all with JJ's:ECC81=>ECC83S=>ECC81=>6V6 into Jensen C12N and R102 & R45 & C11-mod and a Korg AX3000G only for effects between pre-out and power-in the other with TAD-6L6GC and IsoPhon 3037 alnico speaker and sag-mod and R102 & R45 & C11 & R69-mod for home and studio use

Forum Member

have been using jj's in the pre on my hrdx...main thing..get a lower gain tube in v2...opens things up emensly...the 12dw7 i got is a jj...ecc 832 i think...wonderful...i run my gain on 4...get a nice crunch and then nice drive...mucho less mudd...h

Quote Originally Posted by ampdan View Post
    All of my amps are vintage, and I have allways used vintage tubes, (RCA, Tung-Sol,Sylvania,Mullard,Telefunken etc.) Good current mfg. tubes are JJ, TAD I use these in my customer's amps and have never had any problems with them.
    +1
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?