Thread: New to tubes

Forum Member

New to tubes

I just bought a traynor tube amp ( I know its not a fender, but I got an awesome deal on it) anyway, this thing is LOUD! so loud i feel like im goign to blow a tube...Is that easy to do, or can tubes handle it? Its 40 watts, sounds like 200!

Forum Member

Re: New to tubes

You wont blow a tube. If you're coming from playing SS, the tube amp will sound a lot louder than the equivalent power from SS. (At least in most cases)

Hi Matt. I too have a Traynor YCV40 that I bought about a year ago. It gets played every day and gigged almost every weekend. I have never blown a tube as of yet. I end up running mine through a mic and then the soundboard so I usually don't turn it up past about 3 anyway. You are right that these things are very loud. I really don't know why these amp's aren't more popular. My Tele sounds absolutely awesome through the amp too. Perhaps someone else can answer that question. By the way, this is my first post so hello to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kuciaman View Post
    Hi Matt. I too have a Traynor YCV40 that I bought about a year ago. It gets played every day and gigged almost every weekend. I have never blown a tube as of yet. I end up running mine through a mic and then the soundboard so I usually don't turn it up past about 3 anyway. You are right that these things are very loud. I really don't know why these amp's aren't more popular. My Tele sounds absolutely awesome through the amp too. Perhaps someone else can answer that question. By the way, this is my first post so hello to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by kuciaman View Post
    By the way, this is my first post so hello to everyone.
    HOWDY!

I have an uncle in Florence. He was a metallurgical engineer for Reynolds Aluminum until he retired. Now he's a consultant for whoever bought that place and runs it now.

Real pretty out there.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

you are right... it is very nice here. The music scene too is incredible. With Muscle Shoals down the road and the history with it, we have a great community and wealth of talent. We are the home of WC Handy and Sam Phillips.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Forum Member

Keep in mind also that volume pots on most amps are logarithmically scaled, so they get loud very fast. In fact, you'll hear very little difference in volume from 5 on up. From what I understand, this is a marketing ploy by the manufacturers so that when you're in a shop and set the volume to 4, it shatters your eardrums.

I had my pots changed from logarithmic to true audio taper pots so there is a distinct difference between various volume settings.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyDawg View Post
    I had my pots changed from logarithmic to true audio taper pots so there is a distinct difference between various volume settings.
    You mean changed from linear to log (audio taper is logarithmic)

Forum Member

Oops... I always get the two confused... :) I just know I've got more control now than before.
    Last edited by GoofyDawg; 04-14-2007 at 02:27 AM.