Thread: SRV on Austin City Limits

Forum Member

SRV on Austin City Limits

I suppose this will be directed to the Texas members. Did anyone catch the SRV special on Austin City Limits last night? It was titled "Out Takes". These songs were taken from his 1983 and 1989 performances. Some had never been seen before. Also included were some short interview segments from Layton, Shannon, and Reese Wynans.

I had the pleasure to see SRV five times. On this special I was reminded and amazed at the tone he got from his Strats. I know he detuned a half step and used fat strings but the tone was monstrous. With the touch of some pedal he could go from clean Strat to wall of Marshall devastation. His tone was awesome! In the 83 videos I did not catch his amp setup but I did see a Marshall Plexi in the 89 segments.

He was a one in a million. You just don't hear a Strat sound like that anymore. Only one other person could, Jimi Hendrix.

Play on SRV

Forum Member
    I think PBS must broadcast different ACL shows in different parts of the country.

Last saturday (July 27th) in Houston I watched a band called String Cheese Incident on ACL

how weird.

I saw that String Cheese Incident show awhile back, great musicians along the lines of Phish. I had never even heard of them before that show. I like that part where the guy plays his Martin and the other guy taps out the percussion on the body of the guitar! Seeing the audience members "dancing" was something else :rolleyes:
    Last edited by ShawnRT; 07-29-2002 at 01:31 PM.

I saw this show, not last night, though. It was a few months ago. I remember thinking it was the same stuff that I already had on DVD, but then I noticed the songs were all different. It was a pretty cool show! He did a great version of "Rude Mood." I hope this one comes out on DVD as well.
    Last edited by Riscchip; 07-30-2002 at 10:53 AM.
    --Carson

http://www.riscchip.com

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    Why do you think they didn't put all of the songs on the one DVD? I have it as well and love it, but I didn't pay close enough attention to notice any odd transfers (I.E.: sudden guitar changes). I was installing a toilet at the time (our downstairs bathroom).
    The man with magic hands.

I believe that the outtakes stuff was released on dvd. It was part of the SRV boxset that came out in late 2000. It had 3 cds and one dvd. Did it have the song where SRV broke a string in the middle of a song, switched guitars and barely missed a beat? If so, it's the same thats on the dvd.

:nelson

TBD

Forum Member
    I taped it last summer and watched part of it again last night. I also watched the Jimmy Vaughan show (tape) again last night. They show different versions of ACL in different parts of the country.

The interviews with Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton are a nice touch. Really makes you think...
    Jason
    The Bear Guy

Why can't any Swedish channels ever show any program even remotely related to guitars or blues? It sucks.
    "Insurance is like marriage, you pay and pay but you never get anything back" - Al bundy.

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    Tell you what:

You send me over a couple of Swedish harlots (hot ones, disease free), and I'll send you all the American blues/rock/whatever programming that you want.

So, do we have a deal?
    The man with magic hands.

Originally posted by burst_king
    Tell you what:

You send me over a couple of Swedish harlots (hot ones, disease free), and I'll send you all the American blues/rock/whatever programming that you want.

So, do we have a deal?
    But I don't know any Swedish harlots, all the girls I know are nice girls. Can't i send over some rusty Volvos instead? ;)
    "Insurance is like marriage, you pay and pay but you never get anything back" - Al bundy.