Thread: Guitar String Shelf Life

Guitar String Shelf Life

Do guitar strings have an indefinite shelf life if unused on the original packing or should they have a "Best if used by" date on them? Maybe a "Born on" date like some beer might be better?

Re: Guitar String Shelf Life

I've wondered that myself...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I imagine it depends on humidity for strings in the typical envelopes.

Even though I'm not fond of the D'Addario all-in-one baggie, it seems to keep them pretty fresh. I don't run into dead ones, even if they're a year or so old.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I'd think that if they're in the paper envelopes, they'd eventually be affected by the environment. How much, who really knows...would it affect the tone? again, who knows.
    If they're sealed, either in the baggie like D'Addario or shrink-wrapped, I'd think they would have a much longer existance without being affected.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I just came across a four or five (maybe closer to three or four) year old set of Regular Slinky's and I used them on a friends guitar after a set up. They sound great. Its my understanding that as long as the strings "feel" clean, and are rust free, they are fine.
    Last edited by djinn1973; 03-18-2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: ... cant remember when I switched from 10's to 11's

I went to replace the strings on an old accoustic with a set that was in their original packaging in the case. The strings on the guitar were not in bad shape. The strings in the case were heavily rusty!

They were both the same brand and guage and the guitar was in the case along with the package of strings. The strings on the guitar were actually older than the ones in the package and had been played quite a bit.

Bothe sets were at least 5 years old, probably older.

Gravity Jim

I've had the same experience as Kap'n - I only use D'Adarrio's, buy them in boxes of 10 sets, and they sound exactly the same after a year in the tape room as they do brand new. I don't think I've ever had a set around for more than a year or so.

BTW, I saw a segment of the Canadian TV show "How It's Made" that showed D'Addario's being manufactured. There's more hand work than I would have suspected, and most of it centers on checking the consistency of the metal.

Was just thinking that I keep extra sets in my guitar cases and keep forgetting to rotate them when I do string changes. You know they are getting old when the package design has changed!

I even have older sets laying around and was wondering if there would be any quality tonal issues over a set that was a fresh purchase. It sounds like those 5 year old Regular Slinkys were the smart buy!

I concur on the D'Addarios in sealed plastic.
    As long as they're unopened, they'll probably be fresh when you put them on.

I use Elixirs on my acoustics, they come packed in individual envenoples, but the whole pkg is shrinkwrapped.
    Obviously, the coating makes those last months.
    They've actually gotten better.
    When they first came out the unwound strings didn't seem to be coated as well. They'd pit like normal strings.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

The Gibson Vintage Reissues (I use them on my R8 and my Stratocaster) also come vacuum packaged. I bought a few cases a while back (music store clearance-too cheap to pass up!). I have been using strings I purchased 2 or 3 years ago and they sound fine!

Forum Member

Going through my parts junk drawer found some strings that must be around 30 years old. They're in a plastic sandwich box, so I think there probably still good. I believe if there protected from humidity they should last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM View Post
    ...found some strings that must be around 30 years old. They're in a plastic sandwich box, so I think there probably still good.
    $$$$$$ Ebay 'em! $$$$$$

I've got a box of black diamond strings lying around.

I bet they sound vintage.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Interesting. I buy strings in bulk to save the dough. Also, since sometimes you put on new strings and then break one right away, I buy singles and keep them around too. I'll bet some are three or four years old, and they always sound nice when installed. I've had new sets where I broke a string right off the bat, and replaced the factory fresh broken one with a single I bought years earlier, and it was fine.

The only string issues I've everhad was with new strings. I had a batch of Boomers that in every set the .009 string would rot away after an hour of playing and need to be replaced, whil eall the rest of the strings were fine. Finally, I just tossed the .009's and used a single whe I restrung, and they were fine. So I guess it was just a manufacturing issue they had on a run.

I've come to the conclusion that the only discernable difference between brands is on the wound strings. And, as long as they have a high iron content they all sound about the same on my stuff anyway. I'm not into nickel.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim