Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indulge me--another "compare the clips" thread

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Indulge me--another "compare the clips" thread

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    Pete's a rocker.

FWIW, for the Jimi "Fire" sound dig this : JMH @ Woodstock

I think it's Fuzz Face and a wah that gets it there. Not the Marshall w/6550's. Also, note the tempo.

It is literally the exact same tempo as my version, within 0.2 BPM--I tapped 'em both in to my metronome and they read identical.

So screw all of you!!! Jimi did his own dang song that fast!

That's really funny. Even I thought (and still do) that ours was a comical tempo to do that tune at, but I hadn't heard that Woodstock version in years. I have another live version (Isle of Wight maybe?) that is more like the album version's tempo.

As for his tone, who can tell with whatever it was that recorded that version, but you're right--he did love that Fuzzface, and that alone kind of overruns whatever tone stuff the amp might be doing.

I think I get kind of close to that kind of sound without an amp or a POD, just a wah, TS10, and a Dynacomp direct into the board: Jimithang
    Yeah, you really shouldn't post that clip and the explanation if you ever plan to seriously guide people toward one amp or another. If direct into the board can sound that good, who needs a stinkin' amp anyway? I'll return the Budda, sell the DRRI and the G100, and just buy myself one Neve channel to carry around to gigs.

TFF Stage Crew

Cool, that's way cheaper.

1 vote for budda

nice playing, Pete.

you guys can over-analize the shit ouf this

post 2 new clips, don't tune and play like crap - then see who like what
    (lol)
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    Yeah, you really shouldn't post that clip and the explanation if you ever plan to seriously guide people toward one amp or another. If direct into the board can sound that good, who needs a stinkin' amp anyway? I'll return the Budda, sell the DRRI and the G100, and just buy myself one Neve channel to carry around to gigs.
    fezz, that's a great sound. And not an amp in sight.

Forum Member

That's amazing! You could drive people nuts trying to figure out what (tube) amp was used to get that sound.

Reading through the various comments on pc's clips reminds me of what HR said at a class he gave (at Dick Grove's School) "When people say they know what they like, they really mean they like what they know" (Which applies to me too).

As with most others, I too prefer the DRRI. The first amp sounds too one dimensional to me. I like the dynamics in the second clip.