Thread: changing the volume control & tube bias

Forum Member

changing the volume control & tube bias

i've just started learning how to work on my amp (fender hot rod deville) because of bad experiences with the local amp techs and i've been doing some mods. i just bought all tad tubes and i'm wondering what to bias the 6L6's to. also, does anyone know if the volume control potentiometer they put in there can be replaced with a 500k. i know they put in the linear pot to trick first time buyers into thinking the amp is going to be loud because it's so loud at lower volumes but when i turn it to 5, i want it to be 5 times louder than when it's on 1 (like the clean chanel control). i just ordered a 500k potentiometer because they didn't have a 250k

Forum Member

Re: changing the volume control & tube bias

In this case it's not the value you want to change, you need to change the linear taper pot to an audio (log) taper.

Forum Member

Re: changing the volume control & tube bias

right, i ordered a 500k audio taper and i think i was supposed to get a 250k audio because they didn't have any 250k at the time. i think i read somewhere that a 500k would work and it was only about $5 so i figured i'd try it.