Thread: 1996 American Vintage RI pics

1996 American Vintage RI pics

Light was good today, so I tried to take some close-ups of my Strat. I like to look at details on different guitars so I thought someone might like to see some on mine.

This guitar has a swapped neck (Warmoth). Original would have been 21-fret maple with truss rod adjustment at the heel, I believe. It is also my impression that the body is all original, but I did not buy this new, so let me know if you think something was swapped.

Pickguard is still very very white, single ply 8-holer. Pup covers are matching in white.

Vintage-style bridge is clamped down tight with 5 springs. I'm not too great with a tremelo, so at least this way I stay in tune. The saddle springs varied in length, so less metal to compress at the low E. With this custom neck, intonation was best with that low E pretty far back.

Notice there is just a bit of screw showing out the top of each saddle. I have not inserted any spacer material under the neck in the joint, so that neck is clamped down perfectly straight. Also the neck is a compound radius to 16 inches at the 22nd fret, so the saddles may appear less radiused than would be normal.

The control knobs have just a bit of vintage tint to them. Not sure what color that is called (or maybe that is just grunge from over the years).

Vintage style American pickups have flat top staggered pole pieces this year. Note how the 22 fret Warmoth neck snugs up to and over the pickguard. Again, truss rod adjustment is at the headstock, so this is not a problem.

Thanks for looking!

Re: 1996 American Vintage RI pics

Wow that's a beauty, the wood grain looks great.
    "...And so castles made of sand...slip into the sea...eventually."

The action looks high enough to hang clothes to dry on other than that looks good.

TFF Stage Crew

Nice shots, man!

nice axe!
    Last edited by frank thomson; 02-03-2007 at 07:44 PM.
    Imanidiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcondo View Post
    The action looks high enough to hang clothes to dry on other than that looks good.
    At both the 12th and 22nd frets the action is 4/64 treble and 5/64 bass. So you are right, it is a bit higher than most would like.

I use this thing for chimey cleans, so I don't like any fret buzz!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by D'Mule View Post
    At both the 12th and 22nd frets the action is 4/64 treble and 5/64 bass. So you are right, it is a bit higher than most would like.

I think the camera angle makes the action look a lot higher than it is. FWIW, I had my Ultra at 7/64 at the bass side before I changed the neck tilt.

You have a great looking Strat!

Forum Member

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by D'Mule View Post

Must be the camera angle looked like a 1/4" high to me!! LOL