Thread: Way high action .

Forum Member

Way high action .

Ihave an old Peavey fretless T-bass .When i recieved it , it had high action. I paid for the neck truss to be adjusted, and when I recieved it back, it was fantastic. It didnt last long. The action reverted back to very high in short order. Then I did it again. This time from an friend who is only an amateur. It was much better for quite awhile, but now the action is terribly high again ). Now I would like your help. Should I have the neck shimmed? Should I seek the advice of a first rate luthier instead of someone here in "Hooterville"?What is with this bass neck??

Re: Way high action .

Is the bass experiencing radical shifts in humidity? I would think you need to get it looked at as maybe there is a problem with the truss rod. Shimming the neck probably will not fix your issue. You also need to balance whether it is worth the cost to get the repairs done over just replacing the neck.

Re: Way high action .

Make sure it really is the truss rod. Measure the neck's relief.

I had an old Wurlitzer semi-hollow bass with high action because the body was bending at the neck joint. The guitar was folding in half!

Also make sure that the neck isn't lifting out of the pocket. It's unlikely, but if the neck bolt holes are stripped or if the bolts are backing out your action would increase.