Thread: The Evolution of Tone - What have we learned?

The Evolution of Tone - What have we learned?

This past month has been a tremendous learning experience.

I was given a Marshall preamp and it was so great compared to the drive channel of my HRDX that I was convinced that I needed something like it.

I was drawn to high gain like bugs to a porch light. I played many amps, but always missed the Fender clean as the building block of even my most distorted tones.

I was convinced that I needed EL-something power tubes for that British tone, but whatever else I tried I missed my 6L6s.

I was sure that I needed lower wattage, but then I watched some other Fender Players who got sweet tone out of their high wattage amps without blowing heads off.

I took all of these things and applied myself to the problem and this weekend had a great time with my dreaded HRDX.

The tone I found was the tone I needed and it was NOT high gain. It had the drive and sustain but it was clean.

So, looking forward, I need another more reliable amp. A DRRI could find it's way to my house.

Either way, I am so glad that I didn't buy the Mesa F30.

Re: The Evolution of Tone - What have we learned?

My wife and I agree that if we were ever to divorce we would just marry each other again.

Congratulations on your coming full circle.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

General,

Congratulations on your steadfast, relentless persuit. I too come from the HRDx bloodline only to be dismayed into hearing things that were sometimes pleasing and other times down right painful.

After selling my potential ticking time bomb, and after reading much emphatic praise, I have upgraded to the world of the DRRI. I now, at my fingertips, have the Fender Clean, the Marshall Mean and Everything in Between.

Along with some "getting to know you" time on the amp, and armed with my OCD, Bad Monkey, BOSS EQ and Chorus I definitely am a satisfied customer that needs to look no further.

If you get a chance, try the DRRI. Although they are not for everybody, it certainly works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by General Specific View Post
    So, looking forward, I need another more reliable amp. A DRRI could find it's way to my house.
    I'm surprised you're not considering a kit after all the work you've done.. I know for sure that as a result of the raving opinions of the DRRI, I'll be building the hand-wired clone (6A20 in Weber-speak) of it some time soon.

Can't get more reliable than a hand wired build assuming you do it correctly.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    I'm surprised you're not considering a kit after all the work you've done.. I know for sure that as a result of the raving opinions of the DRRI, I'll be building the hand-wired clone (6A20 in Weber-speak) of it some time soon.

Can't get more reliable than a hand wired build assuming you do it correctly.

Oh, I will build a kit.

The first will be a head. Then I will consider a PTP rewire of the Deluxe.

One problem is that I am not up an these amps. The term 5E3 is new to me, so I have a bit of studying to do before I choose a kit.

Anatomy of the Evolution of Tone

GS, not to be a goof or anything, but I would love to see your journey itemized step by step ....from the point you thought you had something wrong with your HRDx to the point you are at now - kind of inspired by the "coming full circle" post by TT100 in your other thread. Purely for educational purposes for the masses (and maybe a sticky?) and nothing more. Really, I'm not trying to be a goof....

DD

Then I will consider a PTP rewire of the Deluxe.
    Which deluxe are you referring to?

Don't worry, enough reading and studying, it will all sink in. Pretty soon you'll be saying '5E5A' instead of 'Tweed Pro' and such. A few months more of hangin' out here, and you will be suprised what you'll learn.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Re: Anatomy of the Evolution of Tone

I started doing something similar... here

But be careful, what starts as this:

which was a result of this:

led, eventually to this:

-Edmund Burke

Whoa...that was weird. I was posting elsewhere and ended up here...crazy.

;)

-Edmund Burke

I started doing something similar... here

But be careful, what starts as this:

which started from this:

ended up eventually like this:

I love these pictures. That is the wildest wall trim I have ever seen.

I love these pictures. That is the wildest wall trim I have ever seen.
    Wha...?! OH! That's a dresser my wife had since in college. Crazy hippie store here in town...

-Edmund Burke

I've had my DRRI since the month I started (I tested out a Blues Jr for 29 days, then returned it to the GC and got my DRRI on the recommendation of the fine folks here) and I haven't regretted my decision once.

General
    What kind of guitar(s) do you own. Can you get the tone you're looking for with a different guitar? Tone quest can be really elusive. I found mine when I dumped most of my stomp boxes and just pushed my amps. That's not always possible though. Maybe just a pre-amp will get the distortion you need without all the fuss. I learned this a long time ago with an EH LPB-1 and a Vibrolux Reverb. Tone to the bone at fairly low volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by stratcat55 View Post
    General
    What kind of guitar(s) do you own. Can you get the tone you're looking for with a different guitar? Tone quest can be really elusive. I found mine when I dumped most of my stomp boxes and just pushed my amps. That's not always possible though. Maybe just a pre-amp will get the distortion you need without all the fuss. I learned this a long time ago with an EH LPB-1 and a Vibrolux Reverb. Tone to the bone at fairly low volumes.
    That's what happened with the EHX Black Finger (Full report in the FX section). The BF isn't really a good compressor and I didn't really like it. Then I found the one thing it does for me which is to allow me to dial down to a usable volume without losing the "edge"

Since I had been using distortions all these years to get that edge and sustain, having a great clean lead tone was new to me. and I loved it!

The first song we played was ZZ Top Mexican Blackbird and with a hint of OD after the BF, the tone was nailed.

Wha...?! OH! That's a dresser my wife had since in college. Crazy hippie store here in town...

I thought that was the wall. Crazy hippies indeed!

Hot Dog Amp

It sounds to me General is having an EQ problem @ the volume he's trying to play to keep the rest of the band happy. General, with all due respect, tell your band mates to turn up a little.
    It also seems General needs Fender clean, Blues crunch and some type of high gain distortion, plus the bad monkey to achieve everything depending on which group he's jamming with. He needs an amp with a workable EQ to pin point his tone. With me, I need that too in an amp in case I cant use or bring my pedal board or if it breaks. I bought a TWIN AMP. An older one. 3 channels seperate EQ for dirt. Awsome drive. 25watt switch input 2 with humbuckers and work the amps EQ. Wow !Low volume to full on madness. I bought that amp after listening to the Gin Blossoms One night and needed that tone. Just an idea. Lot of amp though. Clear as a bell too!

Hot Dog Amp

Take a look at "If you could only keep one amp" thread, and look at all the amps posted by pros here. A lot of awsome amps. Im sure one would fit your needs...

;)

Yeah, me too. I started a new topic and my post was appended to this topic....hmmm...see "anatomy of the evolution of tone" post above...

DD

;)

Yeah, me too. I started a new topic and my post was appended to this topic....hmmm...see "anatomy of the evolution of tone" post above...

DD