Thread: 57RI THinskin vs Eric Johnson Strat Input Please?

57RI THinskin vs Eric Johnson Strat Input Please?

Looking at buying a new 57RI THIN SKIN Strat but now looking at the Eric Johnson 2 Color Burst.
    What are the Major differences besides the neck?
    I'm a BLues player and would the EJ work for that?
    Thanks

Bryan

Forum Member

Re: 57RI THinskin vs Eric Johnson Strat Input Please?

The other differences would be the EJ pickups compared to the 57RI which I believe or the 57/62 custom set which do not a the reverse wound middle PU and the bridge.
    I would give the nod to the EJ as I believe it is more versitile. It has a 54 custom wound neck a 62 middle and on overwound bridge. The 12in radius for bending and a better bridge.
    Just my 2 cents. I have both and they are both great for different reasons, but if I had to choose just one I would go with the EJ.

Just never played a 12" radius neck....Plus the spring cover I just cant get pass it not having one..Great place to catch your belt buckle it seems.

Anyone have a sound Clip of an EJ?

Bryan

Formerly joe mama

Who wears a belt?!

Don't most strat guys pull that cover off the back anyhow? Whenever I buy a strat, that's the first thing that comes off.

I would choose a thinskin. The tall frets are real nice for bends and vibrato. The EJ has low flat frets, combined with the super thick neck finish, there's a lot of friction. A stiff player compared to most other strats.

But the EJ has a real percussive, hi-fi tone to it. Very much like an acoustic guitar simulator. It's a bit thin or sterile to me. But it does have a lot of the EJ sound. You can hear it right away just strumming it.

Forum Member

I owned an EJ and a '62 Thin Skin. When aquiring some other stuff, I decided to sell one, and I sold the EJ. I realize it is not an accute comparison, because mine is a '62 Thin Skin, and you are looking at a '57. However, this may give you some input. I liked the sound of the '62 (which has the same pups as the '57) better. To me, it has more of a classic sound, which I like better for blues. Also, I agree with the note above about the taller frets. I ironically find string bending easier with the taller frets, even on the 7.25 fingerboard.

The one thing I loved about the EJ was the wood grain and color of the neck/fingerboard. It had a little more tint and grain to it.

Also, I am pretty sure I remember a spring cover plate coming in the case, but you would have to drill the holes for it.

Both great guitars. Good luck!

The differences are the EJ has a quartersawn 12" radius neck the thin skins are flat sawn. The EJ has thinner body contours and the tremelo block string holes are drilled more shallow like the originals were.

Pickups are different thats it. On ya all the EJ's are 2 piece alder bodies some of the thinskins that arent a see thru color might be a 3 piece body.

EJ headstock has no string tree
    PLUS tone pot is wired on the treble pup too

Forum Member

I have heard that some of the EJ bodys are 3 piece, the black and red ones. Any truth to this?

No the spec clearly says 2 piece alder on the EJ.

Forum Member

I tried to like the EJ but found that it sounds a little thin and weak.I played three different ones and all sounded pretty much the same. The 57 Thinskin has what I think of as a classic Strat sound.The EJ neck has a great profile however so does the 57 Thinskin. I was concerned about the 7.5 radius but with the tall frets it is now my favorite. Comparing list price to list price the Thin Skin is cheaper. I got the Thinskin but they are both nice guitars. It's up to you.

I just bought a new 62 thin skin last week, and it was a different feel than my Am Dlx for sure. At first I didn't care for the frets on the TS 62, but they grew on me real quick. I can tell you one thing. I absolutely love my deluxe, but the 62 TS sounds like an acoustic next to it. I mean you talking about resonant...Whoa!. Mine weighs 7.4lbs, and it is worth every penny of the price to me. I can't speak on the EJ as I've never had one in my hand, but the 62 TS's are really nice. But as we all know; all guitars are of personal preference.
    John Sr.