Thread: Just wondering...

Just wondering...

What would a '56 strat cost today in 2007 dollars? I'm not sure, but I suspect that in real terms, the price of an American strat may have actually decreased. I wonder how the custom shop guitars would stack up in constant dollars?

Surely someone on here has already thought of this and done some research and/or computations and can answer this for me (I'm too lazy to do it myself).
    Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
    --Albert Einstein

Re: Just wondering...

VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Forum Member

You can play with some comparitive amounts here:

http://146.142.4.24/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

They guy in the article is saying that current manufactured amps are a bargain.

Tell, me where you can buy a brand new, handwired Vibrochamp for $443.05, or a Princeton Reverb for $938.07.

Sure, you could buy a shodilly made Vave Junior combo for $139, as opposed to the $344.04 a Champ would have cost, but would you pay two hundred dollars more for an amp built to the same rugged specs as Fender's entire professional line?

The real bargains, if you have an application for them, is Fender's old high power amps - the Twins and Showmans.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Well, its about what I expected. If you consider the American series to be the modern equivalent of the 50's Fender guitars, then prices have actually decreased. The Eric Johnson strat seems to cost about the same as a '54 strat in constant dollars.

Doesn't mean whole lot, and its of little pratical value, but it is interesting (at least to me).
    Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
    --Albert Einstein