Thread: 57 Thin Skin Strat RI

57 Thin Skin Strat RI

Hey giys new here and need help on making the right decision.
    Looking at a 2 Color burst 57 Thin skin Strat at wildwood, Music Machine and daves. I understand only like 188 of these were made for like 4 or 5 distributors.

My Question is some are 2 and 3 piece bodies. I want a 2 piece body.
    All have different weights from like 7.49 to a tad over 8#
    Is it best to get the lighest weight?

Im a blues player and looking for alittle mail order MOJO I guess
    Any inout on these would be most helpful

Thanks

Bryan

Re: 57 Thin Skin Strat RI

I agree with some here that weight alone probably doesn't make enough of a difference in tone to worry about. You're ordering a guitar over the internet sight unseen(and unplayed), so regardless you don't know how it's going to sound.

If you're wondering about comfort, I would say it's a matter of preference but lighter is probably better. I don't know how you could notice the difference between a half a pound though.

I just bought a new Strat and it feels like it's got to be 1-1½ lbs. heavier than my old standby, but after a minute or so of playing I don't notice a difference anymore.

Forum Member

I also would be suprised if a minor difference in the weight made a difference in the tone. I bet you could talk to the sales people on the phone, and they would be glad to help you pick one out, since they have the guitars there in person. I bought a 62 Thin Skin, and that is what I did. It worked out well. I think you will be pleased. I am extremely happy with the tone and quality of mine. I do believe these limited edition guitars exceed the regular American Vintage series in quality.

Formerly joe mama

Nice guitars, but don't let the "limited edition" sway you. There are more coming with new specs.

I recently bought an EJ with thin finish where the body is very similiar with a 2 piece,
    very light too.

I absolutely love the balance and feel. you need a little more care with this finish IMHO. but it is worth it

Call the guys at Wildwood, explain to them what kind of music you play, what kind of tone you are after, and that you'd like a two piece and they will help select the one that fits your style. The other dealers may do this too, but I know the Wildwood guys will.

Greg
    It's all about Tone!!

Forum Member

Tonedog is correct. I dealt with Steve at Wildwood. I was a little nervous buying a guitar through the mail but Steve could not have been more helpful. He really quizzed me on what I wanted in a Strat. I picked a couple possibilities from the website based on looks and weight then he played them. He called back and gave a report on each then let me decide.Two days later it arrived and it was everything I had hoped for. Great service.Great guitar. Now I need a 52 reissue Tele.BTW-it weighs a little over 7.5 lbs and is very comforatable.Good luck.