Thread: Jazzmaster guys! The BuzzStop device?

Forum Member

Jazzmaster guys! The BuzzStop device?

I've read that this will improve sustain (extra saddle downforce) and help keep strings in the saddle? I am suffering from some saddle-rattle. It seems to me that the grub screws are a little loose etc.

Will the buzz stop product do all these positive things? Improve sustain and stop buzz and help prevent saddle jump-off?

Any happy users out there. Any strongly opposed?

Mine's a made last year, crafted in japan Jazzmaster.

Re: Jazzmaster guys! The BuzzStop device?

They definietly help especially if you want to use lighter string gauges I usually string my JMs with anythging from an 11 set to a 13 set but with a Buzzstop you can get down to 10s easily and maybe 9s I haven't tried 9s yet.

Here's my MasterBuilt JM with a Buzzstop.

VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Forum Member

Wow, that's a lovely guitar. Oh dear, now which bit is the buzz stop? I don't have the bridge-cap thing. Can you palm mute with it on? I see the allparts buzz stop seems to just be the roller bit south of the bridge. Or is it a collective unit?

Thanks. It was built by Gene Baker when he was at the Fender Custom Shop. The Buzzstop is that roller section behind the bridge. It's mounted to a brace that it comes attached to and you remove 2 of the srews in the tremolo mounting and use the screws to mount the buzzstop in that position.

The bridge cover was on the guitar when i bought it and was there for the pictures but I don't use it exactly because it interferes with palm muting.
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by more-gear
    I've read that this will improve sustain (extra saddle downforce) and help keep strings in the saddle? I am suffering from some saddle-rattle. It seems to me that the grub screws are a little loose etc.

Will the buzz stop product do all these positive things? Improve sustain and stop buzz and help prevent saddle jump-off?

Any happy users out there. Any strongly opposed?

Mine's a made last year, crafted in japan Jazzmaster.
    It performs exactly as advertised. Improves sustain, keeps the saddles from buzzing, and completely prevents saddle jump-off (at least in my experience).

Best drop-in replacement hands down for playability issues.

That JM looks great !
    “To do a common thing uncommonly well brings success.”

I string my quasi-JM with 11s also, but haven't had any problems requiring getting a Buzzstop. I did buy a Modified-Mustang bridge from Warmoth, however.

Quote Originally Posted by lure555 View Post
    I did buy a Modified-Mustang bridge from Warmoth, however.
    Yeah, that's it. They're everything the Jag/Jazz bridge should have been but wasn't. The originals are, frankly, crap. I use a cheapo Tune-o-matic I had lying around and even that's better!

i use a modified (by me) mustang bridge. basically what you do is grind off the of the side that doesn't have the intonation screws and then point that towards the vibrato unit. on most JM's the string hits the back lip of the bridge, this with the adjustable string spacing leads to not enough downward pressure on the saddles, plus the grooves in the saddles aren't deep enough.

i am cheap and don't like to spend money on my guitars so i figured i'd give this a try.

i've never looked back or even considered a "buzz stop". no diss on it, but i now see no need for it. plus, with the mustang bridge the string spacing is always right. not that you couldn't do the same thing with the buzz stop and a stock bridge. but that's my experience.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

i use a modified (by me) mustang bridge. basically what you do is grind off the of the side that doesn't have the intonation screws and then point that towards the vibrato unit. on most JM's the string hits the back lip of the bridge, this with the adjustable string spacing leads to not enough downward pressure on the saddles, plus the grooves in the saddles aren't deep enough.

I did not get this, specially the first part, sounds interesting. I have a mustang brigde, fits perfect. I know now the mustang bridge come with the screws that move the saddle up and down for better intonation.
    Dont Matter if you feel alone, your fender is always there for you...