Thread: 1953 Telecaster

1953 Telecaster

My husband has a 1953 Telecaster that he wants to sell. It was passed around to us through the family. We have NO idea what a fair price is for this. He's going to talk to a vintage guitar dealer tomorrow and we are so scared of getting ripped off. A friend of his who works in a guitar shop looked it up and said it's worth around $8000. But I've been searching the internet and I see them listed from $40,000 to over $75,000. How do we know what it's worth? If anyone has any advice for me I would LOVE to hear your opinions. I know that right now we have big glowing neon "sucker" signs on our foreheads and I want to get some information so that maybe I can turn those lights out.

Thanks!!

TFF Stage Crew

Re: 1953 Telecaster

They're worth what the market will pay for them.

There have been a number of them go on Ebay over the last few years, and they (if the auctions were legit) went for fairly large sums. As a piece of wood with 53-year-old electronics in it, it's worth something probably on the lower side of the numbers you mention.

However, as a piece of history for collectors of vintage guitars, the sky could be the limit depending on how the condition of the guitar is, and ESPECIALLY if the parts are all original.

Nobody on this board or any other can give you a number and say "this is what it's worth." It's a collectors item, and like any antique, classic car, rare book, etc., it's worth what the market will bear.

You want the vintage guitar dealer tomorrow to go over it with a fine tooth comb and make sure it's all original, but I wouldn't leave it with the dealer. Make him look over it while you wait. Most important thing: do NOT sell it to the dealer tomorrow, no matter what he says its worth. You want more than one opinion, right?

I'd search old eBay auctions (limiting yourself to the ones that actually closed with a sale) and the sites of reputable dealers that sell vintage guitars. There are links at the bottom of each TFF page to some such dealers, and you can probably find Teles from that era that are currently for sale or sold recently.

Good luck!

A dealers first offer will almost always be lowball. Refuse it, and if the dealer calls back a week or so later and offers more, it tells you it's worth more still. If he doesn't call back, then you know what your initial baseline is (his first offer). Many dealers are like junkies. Once they lay eyes on your candy, they won't be able to get it off their mind, and will keep coming back hoping you're ready to sell.

I second the idea of getting more than one opinion. Dealers aren't inheirently bad or unfair, it's just that they are business folk, and in any business, the trick is to buy low and sell high. You'll get a more accurate appraisal if you walk in with no intentions of selling, and make it clear you're simply looking for a ballpark estimate for insurance purposes. The worst deals made are the ones where the seller HAS to sell, or the buyer HAS to buy.
    POO DAT!!!

EBAY!
    (and/or make it an auction w/ $1M reserve and see what the market will bear.) it's prob cost you like $20 to do that
    prob get over $50k, imo
    Imanidiot.

You could get an appraisal online from Gruhn Guitars in Nashville if you can send them some detailed pictures. It will cost about $25. You can also call Mandolin Bros. in New York and describe it over the phone and they'll give you a ballpark figure. These are extremely hot right now. Don't give it away. If it has a black pickguard a figure near Frank's is very realistic.
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Forum Member

$40,000 wouldn't be unheard of at the moment. Just don't rush, but do touch base with a few of the 'big' dealers like Gruhn. They will obviously offer below what they can sell it for, but unless you can find a direct private buyer you are stuck. And to tempt any buyer you need detailed and close up photo's of the interior.
    Peak District, Derbyshire, England

Thank you all SO much for the information and advice! I feel a lot more confident about going down there today. Now I at least have a better idea of how this all works. I WON'T sell it today. That makes sense. I will let you all know what happens today, in case anyone is interested.

A

TFF Stage Crew

Yup, very interested. And, at some point you're going to have to take some nice digital photos of it for insurance purposes and if/when you decide to list it at eBay, so post some pics here for us to see!!!

As we say here, TTIUWP--"This thread is useless without phtots."

(Oh yeah, we also deliberately misspell "photos." It's a long story.)

Also, we do have a couple vintage Fender experts here, and by posting photos they can also tell you more about its condition/worth, etc.

Getting a good appraisal from someone like Gruhn will be very helpful. One never knows what all has been changed out on these guitars, since it is easy to swap out parts. You need to determine if it IS all original, and get a professional appraisal for it. At the potential dollar amount, nothing less is good enough.
    SLR

Hi April. Welcome to the forum.

Yes, I think you've got a very valuable collector's piece there, depending on its condition.

Would you please share some phtots as well as what you may know about the history of the instrument? Has it been in your family since '53?

Are you sure you want to sell that thing? Isn't there anyone in your family who plays?

I think it's worth the time to be slow and patient in selling the guitar. Get multiple written appraisals - possibly even notarized statements. And take lots of pictures. When you do list it on ebay (if that's where you decide to sell it) spare no expense with the auction - showcase, tons of pics, etc. Maybe the prep for sale will cost $150 or so but you will maximize your return.

I'd also say that if there's no pressing need for the money, hang onto it. It'll only get more and more valuable as time goes on.
    s'all goof.

It was my sister-in-law's husband's guitar. I don't know how long he owned it. He passed away earlier this year and she wants to sell it to be able to pay some of the bills. She is offering my husband a seller's fee to take care of it for her.

He took it to the dealer this morning and we found out that it does not have the original neck, the wiring has been re-done, and it does not have the original screws. Everything else is original and it has a black (original) pickguard. There is an ingraving on the metal fastening neck plate on the back of the guitar that says "purchased and picked in 1976 by John E Swink. Dedicated to country music". I have no idea who John Swink is or where he bought it in 1976, but that's what it says. I will take some pictures Monday (my day to breathe!!) and get them on here for you to take a look at. So, we now know that it's not worth the mega bucks, but we still don't know what it IS worth. Maybe you guys can give me some guesses when I get the pics on here. Thank you again SO much for the help!!

If its not 100% original the value drops way way down.

The 8k the 1st dealer offered is about right.

If the wiring has been changed chances are the pickups have been changed also. If just the body is original 8k would be a fair price.