Thread: Need some Tube advice...

Need some Tube advice...

Need some tube recomendations from you guy's.One of my power tubes (6L6GC) on my Fender Silver Face Super Reverb has died.I have RCA'S and Phillips tubes in there,it goes like this:
    1-RCA 5U4GB
    2-RCA 6L6GC
    1-6201 PHILLIPS (12AT7)
    1-RCA 12AX7A
    1-RCA 7025
    1-RCA 12A7A
    1-RCA 7025
    1-6681 PHILLIPS

What are your preferences and what suggestions on replacement can you give me,i know that i had pretty good tubes in there but i would like your advices and thoughts of other brands,sound and reliability,prices..........I liked the way the amp sounded,it was kind of a warm,mild sound,not agressive like my Deville (Groove tubes in there).All opinions are welcome.
    Thanks

Re: Need some Tube advice...

I've been really happy with the NOS Sovtek 6L6s (make sure there's Russian writing on them ). The new Sovtek preamp tubes have really let me down.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

I'd stay away from the wafer base Sovteks (and their thin based Groove Tubes version). SED's are supposed to be good. I don't know if JJ has increased their pin diameter yet, so I'd still stay away from them.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

I have JJ's in both my hotrod delux and my crate vintage. I would recomend these. Contact Bob at eurotubes and tell him what you want exactly. He takes the time to answer your e-mail with the utmost of care. You won't be sorry. By the way, both my amps sound excellent.

Forum Member

+1 for Eurotubes. Great customer service!!

Tube Depot is pretty good also.
    Last edited by MikeM; 11-11-2006 at 07:18 AM.