Thread: EJ vs. 56TM

Forum Member

EJ vs. 56TM

If you had to pick between a 56 Time Machine Strat and a Eric Johnson model which would you choose and why?

Re: EJ vs. 56TM

I love my EJ

It has a real nice chunky neck and the pickups are all from different era's of Fender time.

the body is really very much like my old 56 strat.

The EJ is actually more accurate and the 1/4 sawn neck makes it a killer.

I had a 56 Relic Custom Shop Strat for 2 weeks sent it back it was a really stiff feeling guitar that killed my fingers to play. The EJ I tried out at a local store 10's felt like 9's it was super easy to play.

Forum Member

I would choose a CS '56. I can't think why anybody wouldn't. And while I have never been a fan of 'Artist' guitars, the EJ model in particular just seems to be trying to hard, in an anally retentive sense, to be the pefect guitar. A bit like when Homer Simpson designed the perfect car, with 'rack and peanut' steering, and a horn that plays `La Cucaracha'.
    Peak District, Derbyshire, England

Forum Member

The EJ is actually more accurate
    Than what! Please explain.

Forum Member

I've owned several Custom Shop Strats, and I still own one -- a 65 NOS Time Machine. My favorite Strat of all time, though, is the EJ. Even though I grew up playing a mid-50s Fender, I much prefer the 12" fretboard radius and the larger frets. I also prefer the EJ's stock pickups to the stock pickups on any Custom Shop Strat, whether it is a 50s or 60s replica. Don't get me wrong -- the Time Machines are excellent guitars. If I could only have one Strat, though, it would be the EJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Camoradi
    Than what! Please explain.
    The EJ body is more accurate than the 56 body.

The EJ has the correct depth pickup routes which are more shallow and the correct contours also. The 56 doesnt.

I would go with the EJ.
    www.mtlutherie.com

"Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves; but our sufficiency is from God," 2 Corinthians 3:5

TFF Stage Crew

NOS '56

Forum Member

The EJ body is more accurate than the 56 body.
    But the EJ has a thinner skin paint job than is period correct, and not forgetting they missed drilling the holes for the trem cover. It also has a quarter sawn neck which wasn't a very common feature in 1957, no string tree, and a variety of pups. If the '56's only 'fault' is that the pickup routes aren't the correct depth then EJ is well ahead in the list of 'period' faults.

I can play `La Cucaracha' on my EJ it just don't sound the same on the '56.

;)

Forum Member

I can play `La Cucaracha' on my EJ
    That will be down to the more accurate 1957 12" fretboard with 'vintage' medium jumbo frets then? But I don't think my '56, even if asked nicely, would want to play it either ;-)

But the EJ has a thinner skin paint job than is period correct, and not forgetting they missed drilling the holes for the trem cover. It also has a quarter sawn neck which wasn't a very common feature in 1957, no string tree, and a variety of pups. If the '56's only 'fault' is that the pickup routes aren't the correct depth then EJ is well ahead in the list of 'period' faults.
    Thats why I said the EJ body is more accurate than the 56 body not the whole guitar just the body.

The EJ.

I've grown so accustomed to larger frets that it'd take me some time to be able to play well on vintage style frets.

Hell, I've played and EJ Strat and thought the frets were a little too small!

Forum Member

The EJ is actually more accurate and the 1/4 sawn neck makes it a killer.
    Thats why I said the EJ body is more accurate than the 56 body
    Did you? Or did something go on in the middle somewhere?

It would be interesting to know what percentage difference a deeper pup route on the '56 makes, compared to a thinner skin finish and the lack of tone sucking trem cover screw holes on an EJ body, in terms of accuracy? Or is that just a question that by implication is only suitable to be answered exclusively by EJ advocates? The irony that a '56 body is being compared to a '57 body in regards of accuracy hasn't eluded me, but qualitative statements of the benefits or none thereof aside, 'accuracy' seems to have taken a linguistic knock on the head.

I've got bad GAS for a Fender these days and these are the two guitars that have my attention right now. I can't find any shop locally that has any of the Custom Shop guitars to try out, but I got to play two EJ's today and I was surprised at how different they were. One of them was heavy in the ass end, unresponsive, and had a really boring standard neck profile. The other was very well balanced with a nice neck profile near the nut (not as hard of a V as I like, but not bad at all) and felt like it was alive. I wouldnt own the first guitar if someone gave it to me, but I may go back and get the 2nd one next weekend if I cant find a NOS '56 to try out.

Did you? Or did something go on in the middle somewhere?

It would be interesting to know what percentage difference a deeper pup route on the '56 makes, compared to a thinner skin finish and the lack of tone sucking trem cover screw holes on an EJ body, in terms of accuracy? Or is that just a question that by implication is only suitable to be answered exclusively by EJ advocates? The irony that a '56 body is being compared to a '57 body in regards of accuracy hasn't eluded me, but qualitative statements of the benefits or none thereof aside, 'accuracy' seems to have taken a linguistic knock on the head.
    You must have a 56 CS Strat cause your so upset about the EJ being better! hahahah

Forum Member

I have both, one '56 and three EJs, a fourth on the way.
    I'd pick the EJ, for sound and playability.
    The '56 I have sounds very good, but I had the chance to choose from six '56s and picked the bestsounding. They varied quite a bit, the EJs seem to be more consistent.
    I prefer the 12" radius and the bigger frets, but that's me.
    The EJs are the one I bring to gigs. They are somewhat bigger sounding than the '56 which is pure vintage.
    The EJs have made me use Strats in live situations again.

TFF Stage Crew

Aw heck, buy them both & be done w/it!

Forum Member

You must have a 56 CS Strat cause your so upset about the EJ being better! hahahah
    I can't pull the wool over your eyes's! Damn!

One thing that I think is appearing is that they are clearly two very different guitars which share many similarities. But the 'spirit' of one is very different to the 'spirit' of the other. So yes, you have convinced me, I suppose I would buy an EJ if I needed another Strat, especially if the replica 'EJ' floppy fringe that comes in the case candy will cover my receeding hairline.

OK I have to ask 'where in Yorkshire?"
    Last edited by Dr Fene; 08-21-2006 at 02:54 AM.

Julius 4 ?
    Wow I thought I was nuts for wanting just one more...
    LOL!!!

I have a 98 54 custom shop strat with an outrageously flamed maple neck with a chunky soft v profile and Fat 50s P/Us ...and a 2005 black EJ strat .( and several other strats ) ...The Johnson strat simply BLOWS the CS strat out of the water.....so much that I threw a Li'L 59 Duncan in the Bridge of the CS and just made it an all purpose guitar....I have had Cunetto strats , Several CS strats ...and the EJ that I have is hands down the most resonant and tonefull strat I have ever owned.

I have 7 strats and without a doubt, the best is the EJ

The body is soo much like my orginal 56 It sounds great and is very resonant.

I am thinking about getting a white one too

Forum Member

JM3,
    it may seem a bit over the top with 4 EJs, I'm well aware of that,
    but they suits me very well.
    I had a lot of Strats, pre-CBS, CS and masterbuilts as well as cheaper,
    even though the pre-CBSs wasn't expensive at that time I bought them,
    the cheapest being a '63 I bought in '70 for $50.
    I've had Strats put together with the best parts that I could think of,
    trying to get something I really like.
    I have never been completely satisfied with any Strat until the EJ came along.

I had never heard Eric Johnson's music before I bought the first one and was hardly aware of him.
    Since then I listened to him and didn't like it.
    Sure, he plays a lot of guitar but so does countless others.
    But as a very knowledgeable gear nerd he has my fullest respect.
    He really did get his signature model right except that I miss the 22nd fret but I could ask a luthier to add one.
    I had it done one some Fenders and it's quite easy for a good luthier.

So basically, I'm so happy to at last find a Strat that I really like that I decided to have one in each color.
    Ordering three at once gave me such good price that I don't have to lose so much money if I ever decide to sell them.
    Besides, I heard a rumour that Fender would stop producing them when the contract with Eric Johnson runs out,
    but I guess it was just a rumour as nothing seems to indicate that they will stop the production.

They arent gonna stop selling The EJ's its their biggest seller in the USA production lineup.

Forum Member

Yes, I guess it must be when some lunatics buys four of them.

I played mine again last night.

I have 7 strats and even had a 66 and 56.

The EJ is just the finest example of what a custom or production strat should be, to me. My Jerry Donohue is a close second. with a surprisingly similiar body. Unfortunatley the JD was a limited edition.

It even gets me excited when I play it live. Talk about Mojo!!

Oh well I may have to get another.

I would beleive they are the hottest seller now too.
    My store had a 90 day wait list, but they have 2 in stock now

Well I did it

I played a white one and told the guy I will give him a deposit next thursday

that makes 2

I have owned a number of cheap and expensive Strats. While they all have something unique, my white EJ is simply pure. It's the only guitar I 've played that blends into me, as stupid as that may sound. I have added the ash tray that came with the case candy and the looks alone are awesome. The sound and playability I find are second to none. Even the case is special.

Well I did it
    I did it too and I can't wait!

I got a CAR EJ (7.2lbs) from Wildwood on the way...should be here on Wednesday/Thursday.
    This is my first strat...I've always had les pauls.

Jason

Joe any way you can try them yourself. What works for some might not work for you.

I love the 56 Time Machine model, so I'd probably lean that way, but I'd probably A/B it to an EJ before dropping the cash. The only EJ strat I played didn't do much for me, but every guitar is unique... it may have just been a sub-par example of the EJ strats.
    It's all about Tone!!