Thread: Best Guitar Tuner with true bypass?

Forum Member

Best Guitar Tuner with true bypass?

Can anyone reccomed an inline/pedal tuner that has true bypass?

I have a budget of around $100 but will spend more depending on features, and advice.

Re: Best Guitar Tuner with true bypass?

Quote Originally Posted by wstandis
    Can anyone reccomed an inline/pedal tuner that has true bypass?

I have a budget of around $100 but will spend more depending on features, and advice.
    More than you want to spend but worth every dollar is the Peterson Strobostomp.

It's the best there is, period.

The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs...
    Seagates MySpace | OceanWerks, official website

Other than the Petersen, I don't know of any.

I use a TU-2 with an A/B box. It's never in the chain.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by seagate
    More than you want to spend but worth every dollar is the Peterson Strobostomp.

It's the best there is, period.
    Peterson has been out of stock since before Thanksgiving.

I got a letter from them yesterday saying that it wil be April before they have stock.

You can never have too
    much music in your life.

Gravity Jim

Peterson has a terrific demo on their page proving the value of the 1/10th of a cent accuracy. They gave an acoustic player a VS-1 and somebody else's popular tuner and a pair of ear plugs, and had him tune the guitar purely visually. After tuning with each unit, he played a series of chords. You can hear the recorded chords side-by-side, and if you're like me, you'll immediately recognize the sound of chords from a guitar tuned with an ordinary tuner.

I thought the tuner in my POD was close enough for rock and roll. I am buying the StroboSoft Deluxe software today.

I encountered one of those Petersons at GC.
    Without the manual, or maybe a little display card to indicate [to the passing gear shopper] what that bouquet of moving graphic bars on the LCD should look like when you reach pitch, it was basically useless.
    I tuned by ear [no mean feat at GC] to try whatever it was I'd plugged.
    Accuracy's great, but for plain old performance tuning, I wonder how neccesary it is to indicate every 1/10 of it.
    Just tell me clearly when I've got a B.

That said, I've heard nothing but rave about 'em. Just seemed unneccesarily complex for tuning up btw songs.
    Are there seperate modes for, say, "tuning" and one for "intonation," that you might use for doing setups?

FWIW- I always did what Kap'n did, but using the pan function of my stereo volume pedal. It worked like and A/B sw, and I velcroed the tuner to the toe end of the pedal.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Live, I'd use a half decent tuner and an A/B switch.

I use a Peterson VS-1 set to guitar temperment in my basement studio and my workshop, a $15 Korg chromatic in my living room and the built in tuner in my PODxt when I'm using that.

I think they all sound fine. In fact, what's a rockabilly/blues hound like me doing with a $200 tuner?

Gravity Jim

I agree for performance, Neo, but for studio and for setting up my guitars (which I'm now doing myself), this thing is clearly the sland.

I think showing the 1/10th cent accuracy would be important if you were creating "stretch" tunings. The software even allows you to set individual tuning profiles for different guitars or style. FOr example, I could create a profile called "PRS Power Chords" and stretch the tuning in favor of keeping open chords in tune on my Soapbar, and another called "PRS Lead" stretched in favor of single note lines higher up on the neck. Badass, for sure.

But if you're playing in bars, I mean... c'mon. The entire rest of your band is out of tune, man. Who cares if you are?

I own, use and like the Strobostomp. However, any decent tuner and an A/B box works fine too. I used the TU-2 and bypass like Kap'n before I got mine. I like the SS because it eliminates one cable and two connectors worth of signal losses. Plus it frees up space on the pedalboard.

The StroboStomp is the only true bypass tuner I am aware of - so that by default would be my answer to your question - I have one and can vouch for its quality and accuracy - but it replaced my Peterson VS-1, so I've been a fan of that company's products for a long time.

Other posters have raised the issues of whether one really needs a tuner like the StroboStomp and whether it has value in the gigging world - sorry, I have no argument with them and I'm no help to you there.
    Last edited by Bluestar; 03-08-2006 at 08:24 AM.