Thread: THE WHOLE MUTRON Q-TRON THING...

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

THE WHOLE MUTRON Q-TRON THING...

OK, I just came back from a gig where the other guitar player blew my head off with his sound. Several times I almost stopped playing just to listen to him... He was using two 20 watt mini amps, one tube and one SS. I walk over between songs and he has only three boxes on a mini pedal board: some kind of boutique overdrive, a stereo chorus and the this Mutron envelope filter thing. I ask him how he was getting this liquid volume swell type sound (thought maybe it was just his McCarty w/ pinkie on the knob) and he looks down at the Mutant and back up.

So, my question is - who uses an envelope filter and what type? I may need to get one of these things!!!

Re: THE WHOLE MUTRON Q-TRON THING...

Quote Originally Posted by Gris
    OK, I just came back from a gig where the other guitar player blew my head off with his sound. Several times I almost stopped playing just to listen to him... He was using two 20 watt mini amps, one tube and one SS. I walk over between songs and he has only three boxes on a mini pedal board: some kind of boutique overdrive, a stereo chorus and the this Mutron envelope filter thing. I ask him how he was getting this liquid volume swell type sound (thought maybe it was just his McCarty w/ pinkie on the knob) and he looks down at the Mutant and back up.

So, my question is - who uses an envelope filter and what type? I may need to get one of these things!!!
    Listen to Jerry on "Estimated Prophet" or "Shakedown Street." It sounds like this guy's effect was set differently/has a different range. Thanks for giving me gas.

Forum Member

I use a Boss dynamic filter model FT-2 (mij-no longer made). It's pretty cool as far as filters go. You can set the mod to sweep from high to low OR low to high. Has a manual footpedal input jack. I like this model. The low to high mode creates a kind of "bloom" effect for chords. You can get funky as well as use it for slower "trippy" soundscapes. It took me some time to figure out how to "tweak" it for some cool tones but once I got goin it is fun. I usually use it clean with a flanger.

Listen to Jerry on "Estimated Prophet" or "Shakedown Street."
    uh, uh how about on Scarlett>Fire or numerous live verisons of "Playin..." ;)

ps - I know all about Jerry's rig(s). He's my "idol..." Just never knew what did exactly what. Now i do! And. i want one...

you can also hear on on the solo to 'what i am' by edie brickell.

sabby & gris, i too have a serious jonse for a mu-tron too.
    have you got a chance to a/b the new ones to a vintage one?
    i know sometime soon i will pull the trigger on one, but the
    vintage ones i have seen are beat to crap or too damn expensive.

i have a mini q-tron, but i haven't had much luck dialing it in...
    should have gone with the mu-tron in the first palce
    Nothin left to do but smile smile smile.....

The guy told me the Maxon AF-9 is much sturdier, sounds close and can be modified to get a slower sweep, etc. Yeah, the original Mutron's go for $300-400 on ebay...

Forum Member

hey guys, if you have not already been there...check out this great site on Jerry's rig and rest of the Dead's hardware at dozin's Gearheads section:

http://dozin.com/gearheads.html

If you click on Jerry's picture you can get details and pics of all his gear, Mutrons, guitars, etc.

pretty cool stuff. I want a Mutron! :bug

Maxon AF-9 is cool. Don't know how close it is to the Mutron, but it's certainly close enough for most audiences.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks