Thread: Digidelay.. the lowdown.

Digidelay.. the lowdown.

I'm buying a used Digidelay from a buddy back east.
    Some like it, some don't.

What are the in's and out's of this thing. I really need a delay, but I don't have much cash.

In bypass mode, does it suck your tone?
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Re: Digidelay.. the lowdown.

I had one, and sold it.

The main reason was that it just quit in the middle of a gig. I sent it off to DOD/DigiTech for them to fix, and they said there was nothing wrong with it. I plugged it back in, and it worked. I'm guessing the software must have glitched, and it needed a reboot.

I didn't want to have to screw around with the pedal in the middle of a gig trying to determine why it died, so I ditched it.

Sound wise, it sounded pretty good. Much, much better than the DD2 I had. The reverse effect was pretty trippy, but you couldn't really synch it. I left it in "tape delay" mode most of the time, and it worked fine. The tap-tempo thing on it is unworkable in a live setting. It might be useful in a home setting, so you don't have to bend over to adjust it. The software glitch probably wouldn't be horrible for a home player either. Mine might have been an isolated case.

I replaced it with the Echo Park, which sounded better, and had much easier to use tap-tempo functions. It was noisy, so I ditched it too, in favor of an AD-9 reissue, which isn't perfect, doesn't have the bells and whistles, but doesn't have any horrible flaws.

I'm an analog delay junky. Big fan of the EH memoryman, which finally got kicked off the board in favor of a Diamond MemoryLane.

But when I take the mexican tele down to jam nite at the local watering hole, the Digidelay goes along for the ride.

Does a lot of stupid tricks, but the tape mode's actually pretty decent and the buffer's no worse than your average Boss or Ibanez type pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by eastsidedave
    the buffer's no worse than your average Boss or Ibanez type pedal.
    Thanks for adding that. I meant to type that, but I forgot. The bypass is OK for non-true-bypass folks.

Phtot:

I have a Digidelay, and I really like it.

But, you know, I'm a

It's not the Leica or Sinar of delays. But it's at least the Canon of delays...

Should be fine. I've been gigging an ancient Digitech Double Play chorus and delay for years. Thing is totally beat and still works. Last year at an outdoor job it got soaked in a rainstorm and puked on me. After sitting aroud for a few days it dried out still works fine. Digitechs are kindof cool in that they add a digital edge to the wet signal which helps the echo cut through the mix a tad better. Does a great slapback twang.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Yeah, my digitech 8 second delay's been going strong for 20 years, but they're not building pedals the same way today. The Digidelay's full of micro-minature surface mount components - almost impossible to mod or repair without an electron microscope.

The first batch of the X series pedals (like the Digidelay) were built in USA. After that, they moved production over to China. I got the last US made one in town, but apparently the build quality of the new one's the same.

But I don't expect to get twenty years out of it..

The Digidelay is NOT a bad pedal at all. But as much as I like the Digidelay...and I like it alot, I'd prefer something simpler. For the same price, you can get a Boss DD3 or a Guyatone MD3. Even lower priced is the Ibanez DE7.

Well, I did get a used DD-3 for 79.00 at GC.
    I really like it with two amps. Not nearly as good with a single amp.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I Love my digidelay
    Mainly use the tape delay as it is really something else
    The slap back delay ( no 1 ) is nice also but I keep using the tape delay