Thread: Ampeg vs Fender twin

Ampeg vs Fender twin

Well i've been amp shoping latley, and i tell ya im tottally vexed.
    I need a 100 watt tube Amp, for many many reasons
    So I first started looking for a used Fender Twin Reverb. But all i found was junk, and junk at top dollar. Well I walked into a lil shop and i saw a pretty nice lil Ampeg SR-212RT.
    It's the same price as the fender twin, but it's has more wattage. And it's a bit more flashy. I pluged in and it sounded pretty good to my ears.
    But what im worried about is Ampegs not really know for it's guitar amps. I was wondering if theres a reason for this ? I've asked every one i know, and no one seems to have a clue about them. I know what to expect outta the fender. But I don't like how it seems to be cheaply made compared to the ampeg. Also Im worried about if theres another tottally sweet amp in this price range with the same specs.?
    It's just a ton of cash to lay down an im not really sure what I want

Thanks guys any info, opinions would be great

Forum Member

Re: Ampeg vs Fender twin

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation80
    But what im worried about is Ampegs not really know for it's guitar amps. I was wondering if theres a reason for this ?
    ??? Ampeg not known for its guitar amps? What about the VT-22 or VT-40? (just to name a few). Great amps and extremely loud. I played through a VT-40 for a couple of years - too heavy for me now, but one terrific guitar amp. If you need a very (very!) loud amp try to find a VT-22. It'll blow away any Fender Twin.
    Last edited by JAM; 01-26-2006 at 10:48 PM.

i've got the r112-r. it's the 60W 1x12 version. very nice amp, has held up to 5+ years of bar gigs and rough travel with only one tube change. the reverb on these things is to die for, and the clean channel is absolutely killer. the lead channel can get a little shrill, but hey , i play a tele, YMMV.

some of these came w/6L6s and some with EL34s. i've got EL34s in mine, never heard one w/ the 6s, so i got no basis to compare, just a heads up.
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

Ampeg produced some fabulous amps in their "golden years".

Yes, they were loud as hell and yes, they were heavy as fuck......... but they were fabulous.

The thing you have to be aware of with these jewels is the tube complement in the amp. Some of the tubes used are really hard to find now.

You can never have too
    much music in your life.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka

7027's, real 7591a's, and 6C10's are hard to come by. But the Reverb-o-Rockets are fabulous!
    That could be big problem. Unlike Fenders where 12AX7s and 6L6s are still common. The 7027 is basically a 6L6, but 6K11 and 6C10's are only NOS.

Forum Member

I had an Ampeg R12-R that I just sold because I could not get a good Fender type chime out of it. They are great amps, but they are very midrange heavy. Playing in my band next to two Fenders I would have to turn down the mid control to 1 and the treble up to 10 to get even close. Take that into consideration with the R12-R.

I replaced it with a 1970 Fender Twin. It the difference was $100 and I can't tell you how much more I love the sound. I was playing last night, and it was simply haunting how the sound that I was striving for in my head kept coming out with each note I played. It was the best move I have ever made. There are mixed views on the re-issue twins. Yet, people rarely hate pre-master volume originals.

Everyone has their own preferences. I thought I could get a Fender sound through an Ampeg and be a little different from what everyone else was playing through. In the end I learned that there is simply not a good substitute for the real thing.

Good luck in you search.

Dr. Framus

You need a 100 watt amp?

What, do you need to pin something up against the wall? Sterilizing the neighbor's cat? Nudge a satellite from it's orbit? Play some tunes for fans the next state over?

:-D

Just kidding...
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

You saw Twins t hat were junk?

What makes a Twin junk?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko

What makes a Twin junk?
    I'd guess mods, drilling holes, etc. The twin I had was a mess when I got it. Unmodded, but some hippie stripped off all the tolex to make it look more like a boogie, or something. At that point ('73) they had stopped making finger-joint cabinets, and just used these big-ass staples to hold the butt joints together. :toobad The tolex actually helped hold those suckers together, and when it was removed, look out!

That combined with the massive weight of the twin, and road use meant that when I got it, the amp was a chassis buried in a short pile of wood.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

If you like the tone from the Ampeg buy it. Havent tried any newer Ampegs, but I own a 60's Reverberocket(7868's). It's a fun amp for sure.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrFramus
    I had an Ampeg R12-R that I just sold because I could not get a good Fender type chime out of it. They are great amps, but they are very midrange heavy. Playing in my band next to two Fenders I would have to turn down the mid control to 1 and the treble up to 10 to get even close. Take that into consideration with the R12-R.
    To be clear, my experiance noted above was with a re-issue ampeg.

Ebay VT22. Lots of pics.

Not mine and I don't now the seller. Four hours left.

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    ??? Ampeg not known for its guitar amps? What about the VT-22 or VT-40? .
    Well what I kinda ment was there more known for bass amps> Especailly areound here. This is the first ampeg guitar amp i've ever seen. Then again it is Canada.. we have mooose :lol

You need a 100 watt amp?

What, do you need to pin something up against the wall? Sterilizing the neighbor's cat? Nudge a satellite from it's orbit? Play some tunes for fans the next state over?

Just kidding.

LOL Well my bass player has a 1600 watt rig.. It's crazy .. he tries not to drown my hot rod. But it happens. I mic it, which sorta helps. I know the sound is going out somewhere But I can only hear myself faintly if the place is buzzing with people.

What makes a Twin junk?

Used an abused. Heck one even started to smoke !!!! But Im not looking for a amp to collect. Im looking for something i can use an abuse. Something bullet proff. honestly im just fed up of fixing stuff up, just to sell it later whn i want something new ;)
    And why pay 1800 Can, when i can get a new one for 1300 can ? With a warranty. that i know i can depend on it.

But obviously after hearing you guys it seems like the ampegs a sweet deal... Im gonna take a second look and see, if the dude will let me trade in a V guitar i got laying around

Thanks guys

Forum Member

If you can, rent some amps to try at a gig. That might help you decide what you want/ need.

Here's an early to mid 70's twin sounds killer!

Quote Originally Posted by thefishingline
    Here's an early to mid 70's twin sounds killer!
    Go to Indy much?
    orange picks

no but shipping isn't bad..I bought a MM212 in this road case and it was just wrapped in celo and taped and shipped in the road case itself....make me an offer?

I bought this a few years back with Altecs in it...too shrill and was ear piercing so I got a pair of original Fender "blue" speakers and put them back in so she is back to original.

It has the original foot switch, vintage correct cover and the foam lined traveling road case that fits this Fender snug as a bug...

:yay

No, that was more of a comment on the "Slippery Noodle" sticker on the road case.

I'm located ENE of you, across the water.

I agree on JBL/Altecs. They just don't work for me.
    orange picks

I bought it from a guy in Kentucky...so I thought the Slippery Noodel was down there. Never really read the sticker before.

"junk" twins are a great buy.

You buy 'em cheap and tkae them straight to a good tech for an overhaul.

Total cost is about the same as the clean one you couldn't find. Cosmetics don't matter, right?

Quote Originally Posted by detuned
    You need a 100 watt amp?

Just kidding...
    My thoughts completely. Those big bruisers are dinosaurs with today's sound reinforcement. Plus, who wants to carry an 80 lb amp around anymore?
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler
    My thoughts completely. Those big bruisers are dinosaurs with today's sound reinforcement. Plus, who wants to carry an 80 lb amp around anymore?
    True, but for the price they go for, they sound better than virtually anything in their price range, even if they don't give it up until ear-bleeding volumes.
    orange picks

Well you can allways turn down when ya need to, but ya can't allways turn up right? And besides whats more in your face ROCK an ROLL then being incredbly tooo loud.
    I think the 70's row of amps is something thats gonna come back.
    Cause it's so in your face, rebellion. Your gonna listen to me if ya like it or not. Rock an Roll. That it can't but happen to get popular again.
    :rofl then again i might be on crack

i would say yes...
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Yes to the rebellion or yes he is on crack :bug

Loud is more than overrated, it's dangerous. In the early 70's I played through a pair of Ampeg VT 22's each with an Ampeg V4 cad (4x12). Now i sport a great pair of $6000 hearing aides in an effort to restore at least some of the high frequency loss I suffered. Not to mention the constant tinnitus (ringing in the ears) that causes me to occasionally answer a phone that isn't ringing.

Currenty, I run a little over 20watts. Works almost anywhere. If I play a festival they kindly provide professional PA and run everything through it. More than adequate for small bars and for mid to large venues I run an extension cabinet. I've yet to play anywhere that this amp was not sufficient and I no longer go home with the rush of amplifiers pounding in my head.

Head my warning, as you have no idea just how difficult it is when as a musician you face hearing loss. Not only the hearing aides, but I have to position myself very carefully in order to hear the rest of the band unless everyone is in the PA, and even then I have to talk with the sound guy to adjust my mix. Other people become very annoyed when constantly asked to repeat what they are saying and you miss out on a lot of conversation. As a matter of fact, I avoid getting into any conversation with a group or in a loud place.

That kind of volume ie 100watt or more, is not necessary to get great tone.

By the way, hearing aides are not covered by any insurance so not only are they big bucks but you are on your own to get them.

Amen

well you make a very valid point.
    I was wondering would a 50 watt combo ? be louder ? the guy at the store was telling me that having 2 speakers pushing more air would help more then anything, but i dunno?

have your drummer learn to play quieter...seriously.

i used to play loud, and didn't protect myself when i did sound. i have some hearing loss, and after realizing it i've been real staunch on playing it safe with the volume.

being deaf is no fun. let the PA do the work and get a good small amp that sounds great.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Good advice from everyone, I think when you're younger you feel somewhat indestructible. 50 watts into 2 12"s is more than enough power.

stratcat62,

Everybody playing loud music should read your post.

Same here. I used to wear ear plugs way back and got made fun of. I really didn't care. I ran a Twin with a 4x12 cab and my brother ran a Sunn Scepter also with a 4x12. Our bass player used some Ampeg rig.We were outragiously loud. You could actually feel the sound. I still have contact with the bass player and drummer from then and the drummer still swears it was the Sunn amp that damaged his hearing. Go figure. Even with the plugs I still suffer some hearing damage. Protect yourselves. Years ago the pa systems really sucked so when we played outside or bigger venues, you just cranked it up. With the pa systems avaliable now, there's no need to to damage your hearing or your spine.

I was lucky.

Hauled around AT LEAST one 50 or 100 watt half stack for many years (back when my spine still functioned) in an 8 piece funk band. Drums, gtr, bass, singer, sax, trombone, two trumpets. We were LOUD.

Last time I had my hearing checked, my doctor thought I was lying about what I did. I can only wonder what it would be like if I hadn't stood in front of all that volume all those years.

Still fun to feel the pant legs flapping around your ankles, but if I do that these days, I use earplugs, & turn it down when the kids come in to complain that "daddy's playing band again". :-)

So I bought a Mini-Z for my rock pig needs. 5 watts. Plenty loud enough, plus I still have my Showman, which does sound great even at "3".
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

Forum Member

I have a serious hearing loss in my right ear so "Ditto" on the above.

I am an original owner of a '68 Twin Reverb and I have a pair of EVM12L's in there that make a heavy amp weigh a TON. I also had an Ampeg V-4 back in the 70's when it was cool to have a stack. The Ampeg had an amzing sound that you just can't get with a Fender. If I wanted a 100 watt Ampeg I would get the VT22 which is the same amp in a 2-12 combo. I haven't played my Twin in a real long time. Haven't even turned it on (and probably won't unless I get a cap job) I downsized to a Princeton Reverb during my non band days. Bringing that around to Open Jams was great for a while. It held up to the volume and was a breeze to carry.

The Princeton Sounded great but I missed that big clean fat sound I would get with my 335 into my Twin. I picked up a real clean '69 Pro Reverb off ebay last year. I had never played a Pro but I played a DRRI which didn't have enough clean headroom for me and then a '76 Vibrolux which was nice but I didn't like the 10's (I think) and it was still missing something. I love this Pro Reverb and I highly recommend it. 40 watts (2 6L6's) 2-12's and much lighter than a twin. Certainlt not as loud as a Twin but one thing I know for sure. If I can't hear this amp than I need a new band!