Thread: 5E3 Speaker Choice

5E3 Speaker Choice

This is a far way off, but I'm thinking about speakers already for the 5E3 chassis I'll be putting together. I'm going to go with a Weber Jensen clone. I have an 18w Brit 2x10, as I want this to be a solidly American sounding.

My contenders are the standard 12A125 (P12Q) and the 12A150W (P12NT). The 12A125 is the popular snadby, but 12A150W is calling to me. It's bigger magnet should make it a bit louder and more touch responsive. It's cone has fewer ribs making it a tad less smooth, and its description almost makes it sound like an American speaker with a touch of Brit-like upper mid karrang: "Bright, moderately crunchy breakup, midrange punch, twangy, aggressive, loud, compresses at higher volumes" with "Country Tele twang" and "lots of midrange punch and upper midrange bite."

Has anyone had experience with the big 40oz magnet in a 5E3 circuit? Is it too bassy and will it be overly woofy? How about any other suggestions for a bright American sounding speaker?

Re: 5E3 Speaker Choice

You might consider a Red Fang.

It's like a 30 watt Blue.

You can never have too
    much music in your life.

Forum Member

I run a 12A125-A in mine, it's also a Mission, though an older one. I had a RI Jensen P12N in it for a while and I liked it fine. The Jensen has the single fold on the surround which IIUC is how the Weber 'T' series is built.
    The 12A150W should sound great, maybe a bit beefier than the 125. The 125-A has a woody mid range that really makes it bark.
    If it's too woofy on the low end you can always reduce the value of some of the coupling caps. Myself, I like that fat greasy low end chrunch from a 5E3.

Thanks for the replies. Jim, I sort of want a pure American vibe. My other amp has Fanes in it. They'll get the test run, so maybe I'll change my mind then. Oh, R'n'D, thanks for reminding me that I'll be making the amp, so there's no foul in changing components. :hee I guess I can get that speaker to work.

I like the Weber 12A125, but I've only tried a few in there. Don't discount the Weber Sig 12, either.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

I'm thinking this same thing through with a Magnatone. Very different amp than the tweeds I've been messing with this year. If I can reason from the 3x 10A125s in my Clark Tyger, the P12Q weber might be the perfect vintage type speaker. The smaller versions are loud, clear and lively, perfectly balanced and voiced for tweeds. I'm impressed with the volume and headroom, but certainly much of that is a function of the circuit and the multi-speaker layout.

For Alnico, I've been thinking about the 12A150T. Sounds like it might deliver what the Q has plus a little more depth and volume. Ceramics also sound really fine in tweeds. I'm thinking about the 12F150-O, also curious about the ceramic silver bell or blue dog. Sort of different flavors for tweed, but I'll bet all of these would sound great in a deluxe.

So Kap'n: You used both the 12A125 and a Sig12, right? How would you compare them?

Maybe the 40oz magnet is too much, but that big greasy bottom Rockin' Daddy spoke of is kinda what I want. Give me some Hubert Sumlin. Hell, a Pro if I thought I could pull it off for my first build. I've toyed with the idea of 15" speaker for the Deluxe, too, but I want a grab and go amp.

Mad Dog, I bet the 12A150x would be monster in a Maggie. The combo of the speaker's big bottom and that vibrato could get a whole room swirling and swaying.

Quote Originally Posted by sabby
    So Kap'n: You used both the 12A125 and a Sig12, right? How would you compare them?
    The whole deal....

I originally ordered my 5E3 with the Sig 12. Ted apparently got a bad batch of Sig series speakers from his OEM supplier, and mine (and apparently at least a few others) burned out in just a few hours of play time.

I had Ted recone mine, but with a 50W voice coil. Same speaker, just a higher power coil.

I'm comparing that to the regular 30W 12A125.

Both speakers are voiced very similarly. I'd bet that most folks listening couldn't tell the difference. The real difference is that the 12A125 is more dynamic, and small nuances come through better than the Sig 12.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by jim in texas
    You might consider a Red Fang.

It's like a 30 watt Blue.

That's what I have in mine.

The maritime 5E3 swims again. ;) Knowing me, I'll probably end up going this route but try everything else imaginable first. In the interest of keeping it swampy and rootsy, I'm half longing for a 15" speaker. Maybe a big straight cone Jensen type, or 15" Weber Blue Dog. :rolleyes:

fezz parka

Camera phones..:hee

I have used several with my head. It depends on the sound you are going for. The traditional Webers are great. The V30 has a nice vibe for a Mashall like tone. A middle ground speaker, the one I use nearly always with mine now, is the Cannibis Rex. It does clean and dirty really well to me.
    Guitars: Teles, Strats, LP, VW Wormoth, others. Amps: Bassman LTD, Richter 5e3, 5e3 Head, Taynor Bassmaster II, Gretsch 6150 (Supro), others. Board: Guitar>Java Boost> Huckleberry>Fuzz Head>Top Fuel> SFX-03 >Keeley 4 knob Comp>EH Clone Chorus>Flanger>DD-6

If you like Ceramic speakers, Victoria puts a nice Eminence in their version of the Deluxe if it is ordered w/ a ceramic speaker, I've heard pretty good things about the re-issue Jensen P-12Q... I heard it doesn't sound much like a Chicago Jensen P-12Q, but that it does sound good on it's own merits...

I had a Victoria 5e3 Deluxe with a re-issue P12R in it, and that speaker was way too bright for the amp (the amp is pretty bright to begin with) A friend of mine ordered a Victoria Champ w/ a 12" speaker and got the Eminence. The Eminence was too dark for the champ and the P12R was too bright for the Deluxe, so we swapped and both amps sounded really good.

YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by LesPauloholic
    I had a Victoria 5e3 Deluxe with a re-issue P12R in it, and that speaker was way too bright for the amp (the amp is pretty bright to begin with)
    I haven't used the Made in Italy P12R reissue, but I will say that the 5E3 is one of the darkest sounding amps I've ever used, and most folks tend to agree with me. Even with a few brightening tweaks, it's pretty dark. What other speakers did you try?

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    I haven't used the Made in Italy P12R reissue, but I will say that the 5E3 is one of the darkest sounding amps I've ever used, and most folks tend to agree with me. Even with a few brightening tweaks, it's pretty dark. What other speakers did you try?
    Ummmmmmmmmmm........

like dark chocolate.

Deluxe dark chocolate.

You can never have too
    much music in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in texas
    Ummmmmmmmmmm........

like dark chocolate.

Deluxe dark chocolate.
    Yes it is. Luscious bittersweet chocolate, 61% chocolate solids.

But not bright.

I like the 1230 - 55. :ahem

JJ
    DAMN. I wish I could remember where I put them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!