Thread: Tune Down 1/2 Step?

Tune Down 1/2 Step?

Just wanting to see how many folks play in Standard Tuning but Tune Down 1/2 Step. I've been hearing that many players (esp. Strats players) like to use 11s (and up) but always play tuned down 1/2. Is this really becoming the norm?

I can see wanting the benefit of fat tone that comes with using fatter strings, and tuning down makes them feel like a gauge lighter, but without sacrificing that extra tone. Personally, I use 10s on Fenders and 11s on Gibsons--so they feel the same this way for me.

So, who's tuning down and what guage strings?

fezz parka

Re: Tune Down 1/2 Step?

I drop down a full step to D on a lot of my guitars (Fenders). I use 11's for those, 10's for standard.

i have one band that i tune down for, and that's because some of the songs are half step down, and some aren't. so instead of bringing guitars in different tunings, we just play half step down all the time. and though it may not seem like much, that half step makes singing a little easier too. we do songs that go pretty high.

as for strings, i just stick with 11's on fender, 10's on gibsons whether i'm standard pitch or not.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I guess if the whole band does it nobody gets confused, or like Fezz using D. I mean, me and my pals have a hard enough time of it anyway...

fezz parka

The cool thing about dropping a full step is when you play with a slide player who uses open D or G, you play as if you are in E or A.:yay