Thread: Looking for a body!

Looking for a body!

So I own a 95 Strat Plus. I've modified the pups to CS TxSp a few years back. The guitar sounds good to me, but the bath tub routing is really bothering me (I've been hanging out too long on this forum)!

I just started looking for a newer body that would be routed a bit more traditionally. I can't use any of the new "Deluxe" modles because Fender changed the neck configuration. I think I'm limited to the Am Stnd body. Does anyone out there know if there are any other options.

I don't really want to do any drilling converting the traditional 6 hole bridge to the newer two hole (if you know what I mean).
    "I don't play no cords."
    -B.B. King

Re: Looking for a body!

You have two basic options...the first being an aftermarket body from USACG, Warmoth, WD, or multiple others. You can go wild with wood, routing, and finishing options.

The second option, and the one I'd recommend, is to forget about the swimming pool route. It sounded good to you before you discovered the pool, right? Did it really begin to sound worse afterwards? I don't buy into the argument that the pool routes are tonally inferior. I've got one pool routed Strat body that sounds simply fantastic. I've got another that's top routed for its pickups and has a smaller than usual control route. I'm not as enthusiastic about it's basic tone. Both are alder, and both have thin finishes.

If you do change the body, you'll get some difference in tone...but you have no guarantee that it will be positive or negative. And even afterwards, you'll have no proof that the difference in routing made the difference in tone. You'll be comparing two completely different pieces of wood.

I hate to put another negative thought in your head about the guitar...but I will. While I've never bought into the arguments on the tonal qualities of different routing patterns, I do think there is a noticeable tonal difference between the two-point Strat trems and the vintage six-screw models. I find the latter to transfer much more vibration between the bridge and body, and prefer them to the two-points.
    "Go Team Venture!"

Hey BradKM,

Thanks for the feedback. You make a valid point. The guitar does sound good, and I have no real reason to make any changes. I'll probably stick with what I have.

I know what you are saying about the six-screw bridge. I'm not going to mess with that on this guitar. However, someday I'll probably buy a strat with more a traditional setup.

I think I'm going to save my pennies for a tele.
    "I don't play no cords."
    -B.B. King

Quote Originally Posted by 95strat
    I think I'm going to save my pennies for a tele.

Now yer talkin!

I know what you are saying about the six-screw bridge. I'm not going to mess with that on this guitar.
    Good to see we're on the same page. I'm not implying that all two-points sound bad...some sound great. But Strats really are the sum of a lot of parts, and the two-point bridge is one point that I personally believe tends to lead to a stiff, mid-scooped tone. It's not a set in stone rule, but it's been common enough for me to notice. I've also noticed the phenomenon seems to be more prominent in alder and basswood bodies...most of the ash bodied two-points that I've played have sounded better.

And Melody's right...you're heading in the right direction with the Tele.
    "Go Team Venture!"

Glad you guys approve of the tele! I just want to diversify my sound. I've been playing strats for 14 yrs....I've missed out on so much.;)
    "I don't play no cords."
    -B.B. King

I have a '91 American Standard, Olympic White, birdseye maple neck,
    swimming pool route. It's just a little brighter than other strats I have.
    No one has ever walked out on my band because of the pool route.

Now the only body I'm looking for is wearing a bikini and a smile :ahem

Forum Member

I have a84 American Standar that I bought new in 85. I put Kinmans in it a few years back and other than that it is stock. I have really been thinking about buyina body with the vintage shape, route and bridge but part of me just says get another strat.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MMP
    <>

Now the only body I'm looking for is wearing a bikini and a smile :ahem
    Maybe just a smile.

Forum Member

"I just started looking for a newer body that would be routed a bit more traditionally. I can't use any of the new "Deluxe" modles because Fender changed the neck configuration. I think I'm limited to the Am Stnd body. Does anyone out there know if there are any other options."

Aside from pool rout debate-just drill an extra hole in your neck for Am. Dlx if that is what you want. Curved neckplates are available from a few aftermarket sellers. Let me know if you need a source.

Forum Member

Body/neck interface is identical other than one diff. hole-I don't know if my previous post was clear.
    Last edited by Elkabong; 12-10-2005 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Clueless posting on my part