Thread: Calling all Toronto Members

Forum Member

Calling all Toronto Members

At Brian F's suggestion, I'm directing this to our Toronto-area members.

You're all invited to check out my band, "The Eradicators", on Thursday, May 8, 2003, at the Steamwhistle Brewery, across from the CN Tower here in Toronto.

The occasion is a benefit for a scholarship fund in the name of a young guy who was murdered in town last year. We'll probably go on around 9 or 10.

It's a cool space, and the crowd will be heavily oriented towards advertising and media types, but that's ok, normal people are welcome too.

It's $20 Cdn for 3 bands-- the other bands are a 9 piece jazz thing, and something that I'm told is '60s rock, whatever that means.

The price of admission includes a beer and a hotdog (I guess that's the advertising industry's idea of health food). More beer is available at what I'm sure will be a reasonable price.

The Eradicators play a mix of originals & covers in the surf and spaghetti western style. I'm no Dick Dale-- we're rank hobbyists, really-- but those who appreciate the genre may get a kick out of it, and it should be a good party in any event.

And, for better or worse, you'll get to hear my '65 Jaguar.

I hope to be there!!!!!! Post on the LPF as well.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Forum Member

Re: Calling all Toronto Members

Originally posted by rio45
    At Brian F's suggestion, I'm directing this to our Toronto-area members.

You're all invited to check out my band, "The Eradicators", on Thursday, May 8, 2003, at the Steamwhistle Brewery, across from the CN Tower here in Toronto.

The occasion is a benefit for a scholarship fund in the name of a young guy who was murdered in town last year. We'll probably go on around 9 or 10.

It's a cool space, and the crowd will be heavily oriented towards advertising and media types, but that's ok, normal people are welcome too.

It's $20 Cdn for 3 bands-- the other bands are a 9 piece jazz thing, and something that I'm told is '60s rock, whatever that means.

The price of admission includes a beer and a hotdog (I guess that's the advertising industry's idea of health food). More beer is available at what I'm sure will be a reasonable price.

The Eradicators play a mix of originals & covers in the surf and spaghetti western style. I'm no Dick Dale-- we're rank hobbyists, really-- but those who appreciate the genre may get a kick out of it, and it should be a good party in any event.

And, for better or worse, you'll get to hear my '65 Jaguar.

Last edited by 7TURNS; 04-27-2003 at 07:34 PM.

Forum Member
    Rio, I just joined the Forum, and yours was the very first post I saw. Which is weird, because I too have a mid-60s Jag, and my band, the Thin Skulls, is playing a benefit at the Steam Whistle the very next night after yours. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for us) I think ours is private, though.

Anyway, hope yours goes well!

Welcome Tycho

Our numbers are growing between the LPF, Fender Forum and Cafe Wah.

brianf

Forum Member
    Hey Tycho, that's very cool... talk about a small world.

What kind of music do you play? What's the benefit for?

"Thin skulls"... sounds like you guys might be lawyers. Am I right? What firm?

Brian F: it sounds like you're the Pope or the Godfather or something, where Toronto forum members are concerned. Good stuff! Ever think of running for Mel's job? You couldn't do worse, although I'm afraid that's not much of a compliment!

As for the gig, I'm told we're probably going on early, so if you're interested, be there by 9:00 p.m. on May 8.

Best regards, and if you do make it to the Steamwhistle, definitely introduce yourself!

Last edited by rio45; 04-28-2003 at 06:42 PM.
    Rock often, rock hard

Forum Member
    We are indeed lawyers. I went to law school late in life (34) and while daydreaming in first-year torts I thought to myself, "Thin Skulls...that would make a good band name one of these days...." The band started at McCarthy Tetrault about six years ago, but a couple of us (including me) have moved elsewhere since then.

We play a mixed bag, but it's basically party music, and all covers -- Beatles, Elvis Costello, Clash, Tom Petty, etc. Our singer has a serious Hip fixation that I am constantly trying to temper. (I like the Hip, but I don't wanna play five songs by them.)

I also have another band that concentrates more on 80s New Wave-ish stuff. And my SO is a musician who's putting together a demo of originals, so I've been working fairly steadily with her too.

All of which is fun, but one of these days I want to get together with some people who like alt-country and RnB. It's just a question of finding the time....

Our gig is a benefit for the school that the singer's kids go to. Can't remember what it's called though.

One word about the Steamwhistle. My firm had a party there last year and a quite excellent bluegrass band played (the Foggy Hogtown Boys). Great players, but they were having serious echo-chamber problems in the space. Hopefully the acoustics will be easier to manage for a louder band. But it's probably worth going easy on the reverb....

Forum Member
    Thanks Tycho. We'll watch for it at sound check, but I wonder if you can ever have too much reverb for the type of music we play.

Thin skulls sounds like fun. Watch your heads, though.

Ba da bumph.

Rio
    Last edited by rio45; 04-28-2003 at 09:42 PM.
    Rock often, rock hard

Forum Member
    Ouch!

I was just thinking that the room was not especially crowded when I was at Steamwhistle last year. Those rooms will probably be better with a good turnout.

Forum Member

Sorry, I forgot to ask

How do you like the Jaguar? How does it suit the style of music you play? How do you have it set up?
    Rock often, rock hard

Forum Member
    I can't really be objective about the Jag ....it was my only electric from the age of 17 to the age of 41, when, um, all hell broke loose on the GAS front.

I got it second hand, and it was already somewhat beat up. I've put it through all kinds of permutations over the years. I think I even had 008s on it at one point in high school (shudder). I also had a Karl Marx sticker on it for a few years during the punk days, since no one told me it would one day be a valuable "vintage" artifact and I shouldn't mess up the finish. I got it refretted once, but luckily I never heeded all the people who told me to get it refinished back then. (It's a sunburst.)

These days I have more respect for it. I've got it set up for 11s, and I waffle back and forth between a plain and wound G. The sad thing is that I don't pull it out all that often now, but I figure it definitely got lots of use over the years. I cannot even think of selling it.

(Speaking of Jags, when Tom Petty played at the Molson Amph. three summers ago, there was a segment when TP left the stage and Mike Campbell pulled out -- if memory serves -- a purple Jag and did a really bitchin' surf medley. I gather he has a surf project on the side, but I can't remember what they're called.)

Forum Member
    Mike Campbell and Los Straitjackets have some connections.
    Rock often, rock hard

Just need an update!!!! Are you still on for tomorrow sometime between 8:00 and 10:00? I will try and make it.

brianf

Forum Member

9:00 p.m. and sharp!

Doors open at 7:00, live music at 8:00, Eradicators at 9:00 p.m., other bands at 10 and 11.

It'll be a blast, hope to see you all there.

Rio
    Rock often, rock hard