Thread: Kinman AVn Blues vs Woodstocks

Forum Member

Kinman AVn Blues vs Woodstocks

Hi There...

Has anyone compared the Kinman AVn Blues vs Woodstocks?

Any comments would be welcome. I'm particularly interested to know how the Woodstocks perform when the amp is moderately overdriven to produce that sweet singing sustain.

I'm actually planning to get a set of Kinman Warm Classics... 62 / 62 / 59, for my MIJ 57 Reissue Strat.

Thanks.

Ron...

Forum Member
    I tried to buy a set of Kinman Woodstocks for my 69 Strat,But my guitar shop told me they weren't out yet.I've got a set of traditionals and a blues set,so I can't wait to here the woodstocks.

Watto
    Reynolds Valve-art ,The best amps ever made.

You should be able to order the Woodstock's directly from Kinman. I just ordered a set of Classics (56-56-59) for my CIJ ash '71 RI Strat. Can't wait to try them out.

Forum Member

There in!

Well I've had the Kinman Blues set installed for a few weeks and just got the Woodstocks installed a few days ago.

Both sets are absolutely wonderful. No noise (what a joy that is) and clear clean fidelity, with lots of power to push an overdriven amp in the sweetest ways. Nice powerful singing tones with the tone control all the way down with the neck and bridge pickup too.

All the classic sounds are there, with lots of subtle variations at different levels. Great sustain, rich, full tones in all settings. No ice-pick edginess. Really an inspiration to play. Very versitile and no whimpy tones. I'm playing through a PODxt, so I've tried them with various amp models and they handle everything very well.

There are differences between the 2 sets, but I don't find it to be dramatic at this point. More subtle - the Woodstocks are not aged tone, so they are a bit brighter without being edgy or harsh and they have ample power to make a statement.

The Blues set is in an ash body, maple neck/fretboard MIJ 57 Strat that was a special customer order, and the Woodstocks are in a special custom Strat made for me by Wayne Charvel. It has a mahogony body and flame maple top, with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard, so the pickups reflect that tone wood - kind of like a Les Strat.

At this point I don't have a sure favorite, because both guitars are unique and exceptional on their own, so it's nice to have different options. All in all I'm very happy.

Ron...
    Last edited by Macaroni; 04-17-2003 at 01:01 PM.

Forum Member
    Call me crazy, but it seems like the differences of briteness, edginess, etc. would be greatly reduced as a result of the mahogany and rosewood. I'm sure that they would be much more noticeable if you were to switch the pickguards out on the same guitar.

Forum Member
    Good point.

That's why I mentioned the construction of the guitars so that all factors were taken into consideration.

But wouldn't the maple top be brighter than the ash body with a plastic pickguard? By the way, the maple top Strat doesn't have a pickguard, so the pickups are right in the maple, and I couldn't easily swap them out.

Ron...
    Last edited by Macaroni; 04-17-2003 at 04:51 PM.

Forum Member
    Huh. Well, I guess that'd be something to kick around. However, different guitars really kind of throws a wrench into actually comparing the pickups. I don't mean that they don't sound very, very good. This is just a selfish interest of mine to hear how the Woodstocks really compare.

Forum Member
    I understand your point and you are correct as far as a direct comparison goes. My situation doesn't provide for that.

However, in my case I just wanted to upgrade both my guitars and so I can only provide info related to that.

i love my Kinman AVN Blues!

they've got that sound, but if you wanted to, you could raise the pickups really high, and get a more modern feel. hard to explain, but if i raise them higher, the vintageness kinda goes away. the smooth tone is still there, but they start to sound a bit more aggressive, and bolder.

Forum Member
    I just had to add another post to say that I've been playing these guitars every day now and the I especially love the Blues Set on the MIJ Strat.

Simply unbelievable sounds. I've been tweaking the PODxt and have made major breakthroughs with gettng "my sound/tone". I don't like a heavily distorted sound. I love an overdriven amp sound that doesn't cause the pickups to lose their individual sonic characteristics, and at the same time sing/scream powerfully with incredible sustain and character. That's what I'm getting and it's truly inspiring.

I am absolutely thrilled with these pickups. They have so much character and you can squeeze out layers and layers of sonic textures just by varying your picking attack.

Ron...

Thinking about getting a set of Kinmans.Have tried just about everyone of the "popular" pickups available between my brothers and I, have about half a half a dozen Strats and Teles with BARDENS in them, and real happy with the way they sound and perform against noise, the balance etc.. they are great pickups.Just never felt the need to try anything else, the BARDENS made everyone happy.
    Don't think the Woodstocks will be the choice. Going to spend the weekend taking out the 57, 60, and a few of the 63's play them and see what I like at the moment and check all the pickups with an OHM meter and then I'll match my own set and order them to what the average output is of the pick ups I like.
    My favorite 63 w/original pickups has 6.3 K in the Bridge, 6.5 in the middle and 5.7 in the neck.Going to give the 57 a real good test first and take it from there.

Forum Member
    Thanks for sharing...hope you enjoy your freakin' BARDENS!

Kinman has a nice and informative web site.Very KOOL. I am looking forward to hearing their pick ups.
    Hope that anyone that tries and compares their pickups shares the info with us here.